U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 09:41 AM

2,952 posts, read 2,303,386 times

Advertisements

It took a while, but people have managed to scrape together a pathetic attempt at painting Fatheads as an elitist restaurant and Primanti's as the downtrodden blue collar victim.

Can we work to perhaps not ruin 90% of all threads with this new Pgh versus old Pgh talk, as it is exhausting that some think it is okay to "punch up" and feign that they are offended at every turn. For being "real" Pittsburghers, there sure are some easily triggered posters on here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 09:44 AM

968 posts, read 560,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
It took a while, but people have managed to scrape together a pathetic attempt at painting Fatheads as an elitist restaurant and Primanti's as the downtrodden blue collar victim.

Can we work to perhaps not ruin 90% of all threads with this new Pgh versus old Pgh talk, as it is exhausting that some think it is okay to "punch up" and feign that they are offended at every turn. For being "real" Pittsburghers, there sure are some easily triggered posters on here.
I dunno, it's funny to watch. I say let them keep crap posting everything as usual. Pittsburgh wouldn't be the same without these crab apples.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:12 AM

1,512 posts, read 971,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
I dunno, it's funny to watch. I say let them keep crap posting everything as usual. Pittsburgh wouldn't be the same without these crab apples.
I'm not offended. It is all in good fun. I think the location in Garfield is amusing though. You can't really deny that the east end tends to have a more elitist vibe. Putting an old school Pittsburgh institution in the place that housed high end establishments was an interesting development.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:46 AM

6 posts, read 4,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
Thanks for this - I checked out the menu and it is the Philadelphia style with broccoli rabe and provolone! Very excited to try this.

Have you tried the cheesesteak?
That is one thing i have not tried there. If I'm going for a Philly sandwich, and I have the option, I'm going roast pork. Just personal preference.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:47 AM

968 posts, read 560,752 times
I never had any perspective on it other than a new establishment in a revitalizing area. Now I go there one more time a year than usual.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:02 PM

64 posts, read 218,269 times
I think Cibrone bakery on Grove Rd in Castle Shannon has tomato pies or at least something close. Great sub rolls and marble rye too. Worth checking out either way.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:16 PM

64 posts, read 218,269 times
[quote=Paul2421;49645131]i had something like that in warren ohio. not sure where though. it was pretty bad.[/QUOTE

Sounds like Briar Hill (Old world) pizza! Was it at the Sunrise Inn by any chance? I make a point to make a stop whenever I'm in that area.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:28 AM

2 posts, read 1,354 times
Thanks everyone! I'll check those places out.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:30 PM

7,477 posts, read 10,507,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Hoagie rolls can be had at Labriola's in Aspinwall
Cheesesteak is best at Peppi's if you want something as good as Philly. That is your only real choice IMHO. Get the Ultra.
Don't know about tomato pie.
Just an FYI: Peppi's will make you a cheesesteak hoagie (lettuce, tomato, raw onion, mayonnaise) unless you specify otherwise. It is a decent one, though.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:36 PM

7,477 posts, read 10,507,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
The best tomato pies have a very, very soft dough. Not like a frozen pizza shell. And the tomato on top is thick, sometimes paste-like, but should have a lot of flavor to it, not just like tomato paste out of a can. Good ones can be really good. They're basically like a "party" food. Imagine something that a Pittsburgher would show up for and bring buffalo chicken dip. That's where tomato pies are most prevalent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
That is exactly what I experienced. It was for a summer bbq, so they ran down to the local Italian market and grabbed a "pie" off the shelf. Thick crust, thick paste, and a little parm on top. All of the locals devoured it as the Pittsburghers looked on in horror.
Eh, if we're going to talk about being horrified by local food customs, it beats Beto's--though Beto's really isn't all that bad, and aside from the room temperature cheese and toppings novelty, has decent sauce and crust.

Good tomato pie sauce shouldn't be paste-like, by the way. Thick, perhaps.

As far as pizza goes, Pittsburgh style will be a disappointment. There are some good gourmet places--namely, Pizza Taglio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I just want to throw this in the mix. If you go to Primanti's, DO NOT get the cheesesteak. It isn't very good at all. I would recommend the pastrami or corned beef. There are other sandwiches that are also good there, but the cheesesteak isn't one of them, IMHO.
Does Primanti's use real corned beef and pastrami now? I remember it being the ultra-lean, flavorless, rump roast variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh