U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2017, 07:37 AM
gg

20,825 posts, read 20,074,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
As far as pizza goes, Pittsburgh style will be a disappointment. There are some good gourmet places--namely, Pizza Taglio.

Does Primanti's use real corned beef and pastrami now? I remember it being the ultra-lean, flavorless, rump roast variety.
I liked Taglio the first time and the second time it was not good at all. The best pizza in that style I have had was actually a food truck at Grist House called Driftwood.

No Primanti's doesn't use very good meat, so you are correct, but that cheesesteak is really bad. I think the best pastrami I have had in our area would be the Smithfield Street Deli. Good point. Primantis is more of a combination place. Throw a meal in a sandwich and there you go. It is more of an idea that stood the test of time. I think the slaw makes it and the fries are pretty good. The meat is okay for cold cut quality.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
The name "tomato pie" is new to me, but in looking at some articles and pictures online, it looks a lot like what (among all the paisans up in Ellwood City) we'd call "grandma-style" pizza. In fact, it looks a lot like what the local Italian-Catholic church would serve at its annual summer carnival. There was a shop in Wampum up through the late 80s at least, that served a variation of that style of pizza as well (although, again, I can't be sure that it's exactly the same as Philly's tomato pie).

I suspect there is some shop, somewhere in the region, that is still making this style of pie -- although this is arguably a style that could be best re-created in a home oven.
Yes ! I lived in both Ellwood City ( my hometown ) and also in a town just north of Philly. I know exactly what you're talking about. Tomato pie what they call it in Philly, is exactly the same thing what the Holy Redeemer church in Ellwood makes during the carnival and lent season. People in Philly prefer to eat the tomato pie cold instead of hot. I actually prefer it that way too, straight out of the fridge. It's basically just sauce and Romano cheese on top of pizza crust. Yummmmmy

Old 10-13-2017, 08:26 AM

1,675 posts, read 1,511,081 times
If you like the idea of eating cole slaw (and possibly fries) within your sandwich, that is something to try too. As far as I know, that is particularly (still?) a Pittsburgh thing. Is there a name for that that I am not remembering?

I personally don't mind the combination, but I'm not picky either.

I'm not sure if the place is still there, but there was a cheesesteak I liked where the shop was in a plaza, I believe in Aspinwall or nearby. They would add seasonings that would make it tasty, but kept the presentation quite clean. It didn't feel like it was "slopped" on traditionally like many Philly cheesesteaks, and I liked it.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:16 AM

1,512 posts, read 968,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
If you like the idea of eating cole slaw (and possibly fries) within your sandwich, that is something to try too. As far as I know, that is particularly (still?) a Pittsburgh thing. Is there a name for that that I am not remembering?

I personally don't mind the combination, but I'm not picky either.

I'm not sure if the place is still there, but there was a cheesesteak I liked where the shop was in a plaza, I believe in Aspinwall or nearby. They would add seasonings that would make it tasty, but kept the presentation quite clean. It didn't feel like it was "slopped" on traditionally like many Philly cheesesteaks, and I liked it.
paninis ripped off primantis in northeast ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh