Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 07:35 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times

Advertisements

Libety is a small borough to the south of McKeesport, just across the Youghiogheny River. It gained its name in 1916, when it broke away from adjacent Port Vue and gained its "liberty." The municipality grew slowly in its early existence, but had a brief 20-year boom between 1940 and 1960, jumping from 1,100 residents to over 3,600. It has declined in every single decade since, and is currently estimated to have a population of just under 2,500.

Given the age and location, it is, unsurprisingly, a suburban municipality. The core of the borough includes some very modest wood frame housing. Further out there are full on suburban subdivisions. The area in the far south of the borough is mostly rural and undeveloped - presumably this area was meant to be filled with subdivisions as well, but when local demand dropped it just was never completed.

Surprisingly given the age and small size of the town, there is a small commercial corridor along Liberty Way in the center of the town. This includes a pizza place, drug store, hair salon, day care, convenience store, barbecue joint, and several other businesses. It wouldn't win any prizes for aesthetics, and has a bit of a "land that time forgot" vibe, but it's there at least, which is more than many municipalities of similar size can say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 10:48 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,390,448 times
Liberty is a very peaceful suburb of McKeesport. I would live there.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:28 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It wouldn't win any prizes for aesthetics, and has a bit of a "land that time forgot" vibe, but it's there at least, which is more than many municipalities of similar size can say.
If you showed me that picture and asked me to guess what state this town was in, I would guess somewhere in WV, far from any metropolitan area; hard to believe it's actually a suburb of Pittsburgh.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:47 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,947 times
If I remember correctly, Port Vue/Liberty had a stop on the old PATrain that ran along the river to Pittsburgh. It also stopped in Braddock and McKeesport and maybe one other town. It was discontinued in the late 1980s.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:02 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,540,417 times
30 sales in the last 365 days ranging from 10K to 155K. Don't think you would see much appreciation, but definitely affordable.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:24 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
If I remember correctly, Port Vue/Liberty had a stop on the old PATrain that ran along the river to Pittsburgh. It also stopped in Braddock and McKeesport and maybe one other town. It was discontinued in the late 1980s.
Yep: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PATrain#Route

The PATrain service was replaced with three 'express bus routes: 58C (McKeesport - Pittsburgh), 58P (Port Vue - Liberty to PIT) and 58V (Versailles - White Oak to PIT) I believe they all took 2nd Avenue into town then until the East Busway was completed to Swissvale those routes used the Busway. The Transit Development Plan that was implemented five (?) years ago discontinued the 58P and 58V and renamed the 58C to the P7. Ridership was pretty light in those route's final days.

I took the 58P many times. It ran right down Liberty Way. The 'Bus Stop' signs are still standings. Argh, I feel old

Old 10-02-2017, 01:34 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Libety is a small borough to the south of McKeesport, just across the Youghiogheny River. It gained its name in 1916, when it broke away from adjacent Port Vue and gained its "liberty." The municipality grew slowly in its early existence, but had a brief 20-year boom between 1940 and 1960, jumping from 1,100 residents to over 3,600. It has declined in every single decade since, and is currently estimated to have a population of just under 2,500.

Given the age and location, it is, unsurprisingly, a suburban municipality. The core of the borough includes some very modest wood frame housing. Further out there are full on suburban subdivisions. The area in the far south of the borough is mostly rural and undeveloped - presumably this area was meant to be filled with subdivisions as well, but when local demand dropped it just was never completed.

Surprisingly given the age and small size of the town, there is a small commercial corridor along Liberty Way in the center of the town. This includes a pizza place, drug store, hair salon, day care, convenience store, barbecue joint, and several other businesses. It wouldn't win any prizes for aesthetics, and has a bit of a "land that time forgot" vibe, but it's there at least, which is more than many municipalities of similar size can say.
My in-laws sold their house in Liberty earlier this year. I believe it was on the market 25 days. A house up the street was sold within 24 hours. I was fairly surprised at the home sales there. It is one of the nicer places to live in that area. My wife grew up there. Also, a pretty nice primary school that is located there.

The pharmacy there closed a year or two ago due to health issues with the owner. They used to sell penny (or fairly cheap by today's standards) candy there until the end. Old school throwback vibe to that place.

The subdivision you linked to is an older one from the 1950s-1960s and contained the houses I mentioned above. Here is a section by the high school with newer and bigger houses. Probably built in the 1970s-1990s: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.3213...7i13312!8i6656

Odd since the area started declining the.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:27 AM

395 posts, read 488,211 times
Before we found the place we live at now, my roommate and I were looking at a HUGE duplex in Liberty. It would've been nice to live so close to the walking trail that's there, but it's OK, cause now we have an entire house to ourselves, and it's closer to my parents, who are starting to get to that age where they're going to need my help soon, so it's for the best.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:15 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,033,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
If you showed me that picture and asked me to guess what state this town was in, I would guess somewhere in WV, far from any metropolitan area; hard to believe it's actually a suburb of Pittsburgh.
Have you ever been to Hays?

Old 10-03-2017, 11:07 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Have you ever been to Hays?
I didn't mean my comment as offensive, by the way. I have been through Hays but not for any specific reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh