Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 11:32 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,913,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I expect nothing more from politicians, but I do expect more from my fellow citizens. The complete disregard for taking an active role in electing people who's decisions have direct impact on their lives is an embarrassment.

It's like being mad that your dog made a mess on the floor, while being too lazy to get up and let the dog outside. The blame is not to be put on the politician, but rather the voters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
he ran unopposed
Bingo. I bet very few even knew this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 11:33 AM

14,351 posts, read 17,003,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
Not to derail the thread with this, because Murphy is clearly a sanctimonious hypocritical pig who has pandered to religious zealots who vote primarily on issues like abortion and same sex marriage, but I've been traveling a lot for work in recent months and was thinking about how funny it is that there is so much griping about bike lanes on this forum (and other embarrassing places like the Post-Gazette comment sections.) It's hilarious because literally every city from coast to coast that I've traveled to in the past year in this country has been installing bike lanes and bike infrastructure, yet some posters act like it's completely unreasonable and unfathomable that this would happen here. I don't get it.
Apparently Pittsburgh has now become a top 10 city for bike commutes in the last few years, with an 85% growth since 2011. Thus the infrastructure improvements have paid off.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:33 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,913,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
We are stuck with Mr. & Mrs. Bike Lanes running for office because the people who would make the best candidates don't want to run.
Oh man, I agree with Bcb for once. I personally am fine with Peduto, but lol at the other candiates.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:44 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,145,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Murphy is the poster boy for term limits. The guy is in office for a generation. Time to make sure we get new blood in office every 4-6 years. Two term limit max.
We have them, they're called elections every two years. I understand and support the idea of limits for those in the executive branch, but absolutely not for elected positions in the legislative branch.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
Not to derail the thread with this, because Murphy is clearly a sanctimonious hypocritical pig who has pandered to religious zealots who vote primarily on issues like abortion and same sex marriage, but I've been traveling a lot for work in recent months and was thinking about how funny it is that there is so much griping about bike lanes on this forum (and other embarrassing places like the Post-Gazette comment sections.) It's hilarious because literally every city from coast to coast that I've traveled to in the past year in this country has been installing bike lanes and bike infrastructure, yet some posters act like it's completely unreasonable and unfathomable that this would happen here. I don't get it.
I went to Montreal in the spring and the bike lanes there would have given the yinzers a heart attack.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:54 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,530,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I went to Montreal in the spring and the bike lanes there would have given the yinzers a heart attack.

My wife spent a weekend there and biked over a 100 miles within the city, pretty impressive network and most drivers are BIKER FRIENDLY.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
My wife spent a weekend there and biked over a 100 miles within the city, pretty impressive network and most drivers are BIKER FRIENDLY.
The biking infrastructure there is probably the best of any city I've seen in the eastern half of the US and Canada. I wouldn't consider biking to get around here, but would there, in the warm months at least.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:18 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,970,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Term limits are the epitome of a bad idea that sounds good. In every state that has passed them, professional lobbyists end up writing almost all of the bills, because the legislators are not around long enough to have any idea what the hell they're doing.
It also limits it even further to the wealthy & connected. How many Regular Joe's can afford a 2-8 year gap in their non-political career?

Old 10-04-2017, 12:22 PM

14,351 posts, read 17,003,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
It also limits it even further to the wealthy & connected. How many Regular Joe's can afford a 2-8 year gap in their non-political career?
To be fair, only 10 states have full-time state legislatures, and in only a few "part time" states do you make enough to be middle class on a legislator salary alone, so in many of these states regular Joes (at least, the sort who need to work full time - e.g. discounting retirees) wouldn't run for office anyway.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:05 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,386,470 times
I think Murphy has done a great job for this area, I would vote for him again in a heartbeat. Personally I could care less about his personal affairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh