U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,180 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to the area for my spouse's job, which would be in Uniontown and would require that we live within 30 mins of Uniontown. It'd be nice to live within reasonable commuting distance to Pittsburgh, so I could rent office space and go into the city a couple of times a week if I wanted to. From my research on this board, it seems like Canonsburg and Bethel Park are sometimes recommended, but it seems it'd be over 30 mins to Uniontown from those places and thus too far for my spouse. Just clicking around Google Maps, California and Belle Vernon appear to be within 30 mins of Uniontown, and about an hour from Pittsburgh. Are those places reasonable? Any other suggestions?

We're a liberal professional couple in our early 30s and will be looking to have kids soon. I've read all about how rural, conservative, and in decline much of Fayette County is, and honestly it doesn't really bother me. Hopefully we can do some good in the community if and when we arrive.

Thanks!

Last edited by roqking; 10-06-2017 at 03:23 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 06:47 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,075,615 times
I'm not really speaking from personal experience but just from what friends have said, but I do think California is a good idea. I know people who work at California University of Pennsylvania and it seems like a nice community, and wherever there's a college campus there will be a steady stream of interesting things going on. Will be interested to hear what others may have to say.

If you're looking for office space in the city, I would take a look at Nova Place in Allegheny Center. It's well connected to various freeways, very close to downtown, and surrounded by an "up and coming" part of the city with all sorts of things within walking distance, including restaurants, book stores, art museums, and of course PNC park and Heinz field.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:01 PM

7 posts, read 10,081 times
Hi roqking
California is a good suggestion. 18.1 miles about 27 minutes to Uniontown PA-43S. 37.7 miles about 54 minutes to Pittsburgh PA-43N, PA51N. About 6800 residents. California University of Pennsylvania. I don't know the school district enough to give you an opinion.
Two other possible suggestions.

Perryopolis in northern Fayette county. Small about 1800 residents 15.3 miles about 23 minutes to Uniontown PA-51S 32.8 miles about 53 minutes to Pittsburgh. Only 4.3% of families are below the poverty line. I don't know how hard it would be to find a house in the area.
Frazier School district. Decent school but small maybe 150 students in a class. I had a niece and a nephew go here. Country atmosphere.

Scottdale area in the most southern part of Westmoreland county. About 4800 but closer to 10000 if you count the surrounding communities like Mt Pleasant which are right next door. 18.9 miles about 28 minutes to Uniontown. 119 South
45 miles about 50 minutes to Pittsburgh 119N 376W Turnpike. I grew up here. Southmoreland school district. A little bigger than Frazier in Perryopolis. Average for Pa but if you want to do well you can. Some good facilities. Small little somewhat cute downtown. The housing is mixed anything from $50,000 needing some work to some newer homes on the outskirts at $200,000 - $350,000. Mt Pleasant which is right up the road has many more businesses a great little downtown and a beautiful Winery and Berry Farm called Greendance the Winery at Sandhill.

If you like the outdoor the area these towns are in an area called the Laurel Highlands, which is pretty nice. It is pretty rural and a lot of areas have seen better days. Old-fashioned values in some cases but over-all some good people. Please note some parts of the more urban areas of Westmoreland and Fayette Counties have a drug problem. It is also predominately white in the small towns and countryside, like 98% just to let you know., if that matters.

I hope you find a good home. Good luck.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:49 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,112,026 times
You MAY be able to make portions of the Elizabeth-Forward area along Route 51 work. Elizabeth-Forward High School to Uniontown says 37 minutes. Play around on Google Maps.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:41 PM

4,536 posts, read 7,163,437 times
I think you should consider living in Uniontown. It's really a nice little city, in spite of the negativity you might find among locals or Pittsburghers. There is a walkable downtown district with parks and trails, antique shops, some beautiful older homes and residential sections, beautiful mountain scenery.. I just love Uniontown. And it could use another champion. Getting to Pittsburgh from Uniontown via Route 51 is really not a bad drive until you get into the congested South Hills. It's a pretty drive with lots of rolling hills and old farm houses.

A lot has been said about the poverty of Fayette County, but I just don't see it. There is much worse blight and poverty within some of the mill towns, depressed urban neighborhoods, and older suburbs (Wilkinsburg, Mount Oliver, etc.), of Pittsburgh.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:03 PM

76 posts, read 48,126 times
I think South Park is an option. It's very close to the mon-fayette expressway in Findleyville and close to several T stops that go downtown. Probably about 40 mins to downtown on the T and maybe a little more than 30 mins to uniontown, but not much more.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:35 PM

5,721 posts, read 4,330,922 times
That's a bit of a toughie since you have to be within 30 min of Uniontown. Your only options really are the towns around the I70 corridor in Washington County that give easy access to the turnpike. It is 30 min from the I70 / Expressway interchange to Uniontown. When I go to Ohiopyle that's the route I have to use.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:43 PM

4,536 posts, read 7,163,437 times
Elizabeth, Elizabeth Twp., or McKeesport are fairly easy commutes to Uniontown, down 48 to 51. I think I can make it to the Uniontown vicinity from McKeesport in under 40 minutes.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:52 PM

5,721 posts, read 4,330,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Elizabeth, Elizabeth Twp., or McKeesport are fairly easy commutes to Uniontown, down 48 to 51. I think I can make it to the Uniontown vicinity from McKeesport in under 40 minutes.
I dunno It was my understanding that is a pretty brutal commute and can be very time consuming. If I was moving to the area and had to go to Uniontown daily, I'd be using the expressway.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:03 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,778,359 times
If it was me and I didn't have to drive into Pittsburgh daily, I would look for a place closer to Uniontown so my spouse didn't get stuck with a bear of a commute everyday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or