Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 02:53 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
So the word I should have used is "geriatric"?
So noted.

You can use that term for most of the Metro area.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:52 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Well, for starters, it's really not an insult.
Okay, so calling a town "generic" isn't an insult. Gotcha. Seriously, if you just call a place, "generic", why even mention it?

Old 10-29-2017, 07:58 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Okay, so calling a town "generic" isn't an insult. Gotcha. Seriously, if you just call a place, "generic", why even mention it?
There was a lot of information in the original post beyond this one word.

Editing to add -- good grief, I'm just now realizing "generic" wasn't even in the original post. I conflated the "walkable" argument and the "generic" argument because it's the usual people on either side arguing over nothing. Sorry for adding to the confusion, but honestly if people think "not walkable" and "generic" are words to fight over, they clearly haven't been reading the other threads in this series all that closely.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:05 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Sorry for adding to the confusion, but honestly if people think "not walkable" and "generic" are words to fight over, they clearly haven't been reading the other threads in this series all that closely.
Not walkable is a real description and adds to the discussion. "Generic", means what? Back in the day "generic" items were all white labeled and all the same. It just seems people want to say, "generic" as "just another all white neighborhood". Again, "not walkable" is non-offensive because it has a meaning.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:16 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This is true, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Outside of the couple walkable towns (Mt Lebo, Sewickley, Aspinwall) Pittsburgh suburbs seem rural, run down or both. The McKnight Corridor is the closest Pittsburgh gets to typical American Suburbia. Sure, it’s basic and uninspiring, but it’s a step up from the rest of Western Pennsyltucky.
many don't judge their life by whether there is an organic cafe free coffee shop within walking distance.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:25 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
I find it so entertaining that so many city dwellers like to criticize where other people like to live. Live and let live. Do you really want all of those people living in your neighborhood anyways? Probably would be as expensive as Seattle and displace more low income people

Old 10-30-2017, 06:30 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
Quote:
There was a lot of information in the original post beyond this one word.

Editing to add -- good grief, I'm just now realizing "generic" wasn't even in the original post. I conflated the "walkable" argument and the "generic" argument because it's the usual people on either side arguing over nothing. Sorry for adding to the confusion, but honestly if people think "not walkable" and "generic" are words to fight over, they clearly haven't been reading the other threads in this series all that closely.
context matters. when you come into a discussion and add nothing but a word that indicates that an area isn't unique or worthy of discussion, some people take offense. i don't think that is out of line. post history matters on both sides of the issue.

for your house comment though, i think you lucked out if you got a house that big that didn't need work done to get it into livable condition with that much land in the city. houses in mccandless range from 3 bedroom square room brick bunkers that go for around 200k to new houses in the 400s. there is actually more diverse housing selection than most give credit for, although there aren't many old houses with character that you see in mt lebo. you can find those in north hills estates in ross though. most of the other parts of na have the newer housing. i think the main distinction is that people see the school district as a positive when comparing to somewhere like the north side and the ability to get a somewhat newer house. obviously it is debatable if that is justified but the area is more diverse that one would think by reading this sub.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:39 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
If the worst thing someone can say about your neighborhood/municipality is that it's too normal, you're doing pretty good for yourself IMHO.

McCandless isn't my cup of tea (too suburban, not enough old homes, and not walkable enough) but as gladhands said, if you like the suburbs, you could do a whole lot worse).

Old 10-30-2017, 07:02 AM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If the worst thing someone can say about your neighborhood/municipality is that it's too normal, you're doing pretty good for yourself IMHO.

McCandless isn't my cup of tea (too suburban, not enough old homes, and not walkable enough) but as gladhands said, if you like the suburbs, you could do a whole lot worse).
Exactly how I feel too. I was out there It's his weekend. It is very suburban, the houses are not old, and outside of a few blocks if you are walking you are walking on the street because they haven't built sidewalks.

It's clearly a popular place to live for certain demographics and those who live there seem to have pride in it.

Thanks for another great write-up, eschaton.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:28 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,909 times
I've worked in McCandless for many years. I like the area. McCandless Crossing and the Northway stores have really taken off in a short amount of time. I never really thought about the fact that so much more of McKnight/19 is rural (just trees) in McCandless than in neighboring Ross and Pine. I wonder if that area will be developed in the future.

North Park is one of my favorite areas and is mostly McCandless like the original post said. It gets incredible sunsets (probably sunrises too but I'm asleep usually). Here is a recent North Park sunset picture I took. Make sure you stay until at least 10 min after sunset. Often that's when the best colors come out.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh