Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 09:30 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,764,588 times

Advertisements

I think this would be a dumb investment. I don't think we are going to grow enough to consider such an expense. I don't have super strong feelings on this, so would like to hear other's thoughts.

Extending East Busway from Swissvale to East Pittsburgh could cost $549 million | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 10:29 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,143,243 times
I feel like I don’t have perspective on what $500 million really is anymore. 15 years ago, our stadiums cost under $300 million. Now an apartment complex costs that same amount, and a stadium costs $1B+. Is $500m for an infrastructure project even that much these days?

That said, I feel as though we would be way better off spending to extend dedicated public transit west to the airport before we go further southeast toward the Mon Valley.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:56 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,863,806 times
Given the total cost projected ($549,000,000) and the projected increase in daily ridership (1,649) the cost is roughly $337,000 per additional rider. That isn't quite as bad as it sounds, because those riders will use it for significantly longer than one year. Thus if you presume that each of those riders uses it an average of two times a day every single day of the year, it will be...184.6 years...until the fare covers the initial cost of building it.

Oh, dear.

Seriously though, mass transit is never a money maker, particularly when it comes to capital grants projects like this. The grant money is out there, some transit system is going to get it - the question is, is it the best use of the money? I don't think so, and it's not clear whether the Port Authority does either. At the end of buildout, after all, it only expands EBA usage by 4.75%. We could get that level of expansion just by building a half-dozen major apartment projects along the EBA's existing line. It wouldn't be cheaper, but the recovery for the construction costs would happen a lot quicker.

The only serious reason to consider this if there is a pressing desire to gentrify Braddock and/or East Pittsburgh, because giving those areas rapid transit into the city would up their desirability a great deal. Of course, gentrification has yet to seriously move past East Liberty station on the Busway as it is (except for around Hamnett Station to a limited degree) so that eventuality may still be far away.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:06 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,563,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The only serious reason to consider this if there is a pressing desire to gentrify Braddock and/or East Pittsburgh, because giving those areas rapid transit into the city would up their desirability a great deal. Of course, gentrification has yet to seriously move past East Liberty station on the Busway as it is (except for around Hamnett Station to a limited degree) so that eventuality may still be far away.
Not gentrification, but development around the Homewood Station has been happening for a few years and I predict it'll continue over the next decade.

Instead of extending this, maybe the money should be spent on affordable housing around existing busway stops? And add an extra bus that goes from East Pgh to Swissvale / East Lib / Oakland / Downtown?

Old 10-30-2017, 08:52 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,764,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post

Instead of extending this, maybe the money should be spent on affordable housing around existing busway stops? And add an extra bus that goes from East Pgh to Swissvale / East Lib / Oakland / Downtown?
I think this is my first thought. Don't extend it at this time as we can do a lot of things nearer downtown with that money to enhance what the busway already has going on. I don't think people need to live further out yet as there is a lot of work in Homewood and other closer places to be done. Hope they don't do this unless we feel we need more space which I don't think we do at this point or within the next 10 years. Too early for this project. At least that is how I feel now, but some good arguments could persuade me as I don't have a ton of knowledge on this idea.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:23 PM

68 posts, read 52,916 times
My take is that Pittsburgh should be spending transportation dollars on infrastructure to support density within the city instead of facilitating sprawl. The solution to our transportation issues is not to make it easier to commute longer distances. The exact opposite is what we need, spend money to decrease commuting distances.

In the real world that translates to subsidizing public transit in dense portions of the city instead of subsidizing increased capacity further and further away from job and population centers. Also, instead of having parking minimums for developments in the city, switch to parking maximums. Parking minimums ensure that neighborhood space is taken up by parking rather than residential and commercial. Parking minimums decrease density to a point that cars are necessary and transit isn't frequent enough for people to live transit oriented lifestyles. Pittsburgh was originally, and still is, well suited to a density dense enough to support a good level of transit service. A high level of service is a necessity in order for middle-class people to view transit as a viable way to get around town.

A few long distance commuting bus routes will do little to transform Pittsburgh for the better. The same money spent on encouraging dense, walking and transit oriented neighborhoods would be transformative. That's the future. All i'm uncertain of is how long it will take America to make the transition back to that type of city structure.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:07 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,892,981 times
I don't know what those figures mean, so I can't be outraged. My main question is "why"?

Old 11-01-2017, 04:30 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,939,430 times
I’d think they would want to improve public transit in the Brighton corridor before moving points east

Old 11-02-2017, 10:56 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,479,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Given the total cost projected ($549,000,000) and the projected increase in daily ridership (1,649) the cost is roughly $337,000 per additional rider. That isn't quite as bad as it sounds, because those riders will use it for significantly longer than one year. Thus if you presume that each of those riders uses it an average of two times a day every single day of the year, it will be...184.6 years...until the fare covers the initial cost of building it.
Couldn't you just buy everyone in East Pittsburgh a condo downtown instead?

Old 11-02-2017, 11:03 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,863,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Couldn't you just buy everyone in East Pittsburgh a condo downtown instead?
That's why I said it would be more cost effective to build more apartments along the busway. Presuming each potential rider lived alone, $549 million works out to $333,000 per unit, which is certainly doable in terms of multifamily real estate development (particularly if you had no structured parking - which you really shouldn't if you're trying to up bus utilization.

Looking into it more, I concur with the poster above who suggested some work on the California Avenue line. Bellevue and Avalon are much denser in population than the Braddock-East Pittsburgh corridor. Hell, they're denser than Brighton Heights or Marshall Shadeland. It's the most obvious place to go if you want a transit line to follow density, rather than just underutilized railroad ROWs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh