Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 06:47 AM

697 posts, read 778,153 times

Advertisements

I too was shocked that this happened here and sadly would more expect it in some outlying county where there are still signs supporting the current prez. The op-ed that gladhands posted covers much more than the noose from the tree...

excerpts...

"These attempted acts of racial intimidation must concern all of us. They are evidence of racial divisions within our communities and must be rooted out like the cancerous hate they profess. So too must the other symbols of racism — systems which may not be so obvious, so jarring to the eye and human psyche. We must also work to end systems of racism as hard as we work to banish these symbols of racism and hate.

We must uproot a system of racism that has historically drawn redlines to prevent people of color from purchasing homes in livable areas and, today, forces low-income people of color out of their homes and communities, such as East Liberty, in the name of economic development.

We must uproot a system of racism that results in the disinvestment in public schools in areas such as the Hill District. The same system that disproportionately criminalizes Black students through the overuse of school suspensions and expulsions, creating a pipeline that funnels students, many of whom have disabilities, into jails and prisons.

Finally, we must recognize that the symbols of hate are only as effective as the systems that support them. Though what they represent may endure, their power and purpose are weakened by the resolve of communities who stand not only against these symbols but also the systems that sustain them.

Over the last few days, we have been overwhelmed and encouraged by the show of support and solidarity we have received by our friends, neighbors and fellow Pittsburgh residents. We are grateful to be surrounded by a community that is ready and willing to stand with us against hate.

We call on everyone to stand not only against these hateful symbols, but to stand up together with those who continue to fight tirelessly to ensure justice and equity for all Pittsburgh residents."

Old 10-31-2017, 08:01 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I want nothing more than this to be some bored kids who are uneducated about the sensitivity of such a prank. Otherwise, it is disturbing that there is someone out there who is acting out violence towards black people - towards anyone of an identifiably different group.
Whatever is going on here should be investigated, but as I read more about this as news channels pretty much cut and paste the story, I am not sure it was a couple of kids walking down the street picked up a charging cable thinking about Halloween and making a noose and just hanging it on a random tree. That is all this could be nothing more. Of course it will go crazy viral as people are living to push an agenda. Again there is NO excuse for racial intimidation on any front period, but seeing this is just some charging cable makes me think the whole story is a non-issue. Just a couple of kids picking up some cable and thinking about Halloween. It seems too coinsidental it being on Halloween and it just being some charging cable that was probably just laying on the ground somewhere. After reading about this more I am not buying it.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:31 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Whatever is going on here should be investigated, but as I read more about this as news channels pretty much cut and paste the story, I am not sure it was a couple of kids walking down the street picked up a charging cable thinking about Halloween and making a noose and just hanging it on a random tree. That is all this could be nothing more. Of course it will go crazy viral as people are living to push an agenda. Again there is NO excuse for racial intimidation on any front period, but seeing this is just some charging cable makes me think the whole story is a non-issue. Just a couple of kids picking up some cable and thinking about Halloween. It seems too coinsidental it being on Halloween and it just being some charging cable that was probably just laying on the ground somewhere. After reading about this more I am not buying it.

Your comment is a tinderbox waiting for a match....but I do not find fault with it.

COULD BE that it was coincidental - a random tree in front of a random house. Or a setup by a person of color (certainly not unheard of). But then again, it could certainly be a person privately seething with animosity to black neighbors.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:57 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
I'll take Door #3.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I'll take Door #3.
Well, we don't know that!

Old 10-31-2017, 06:34 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
It may seem "very rare" to some people, but this is not an isolated incident if you look around the country. The Smithsonian was also targeted in 2017, and it was a real noose each time, and it had nothing to do with Halloween.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smith...ure-180963519/
Another instance, with USB cable, in Oklahoma a month ago, at a high school sports event.

I don't give a good g-d if it's a "prank" or "copycat" or "Halloween" or whatever rationalization. The neighborhood is appalled, it was a black civil rights lawyer living there, which may just make it worse. She mentioned in the news that other people contacted her with similar stories. This is not okay. It may not shock everybody, but it's not okay. I have zero interest in arguing that.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:23 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Hmmm, do a search on Dustin Gibson and BOOM you have your answer. I have a feeling he put the noose there himself. He has his agendas for sure. This is just another agenda push. I don't think there is any argument once you start researching the man behind all this. Wow, and we all fell for it. HA!

Old 10-31-2017, 08:17 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,049 times
Quote:
Hmmm, do a search on Dustin Gibson and BOOM you have your answer. I have a feeling he put the noose there himself. He has his agendas for sure. This is just another agenda push. I don't think there is any argument once you start researching the man behind all this. Wow, and we all fell for it. HA!
This is quite possibly the lowest and ugliest comment I have ever read on this website. Congratulations.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
woah, there, maverick! i found nothing connecting him to any other hoaxes or frauds. I thought your comment would have revealed something like that. Am i right to think you've connected the dots from his being a disability advocate to his putting the noose there?

Old 10-31-2017, 08:48 PM

271 posts, read 332,106 times
Quote:
What you've just written is one of the most insanely idiotic and vile things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this site is now dumber for having read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh