Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 01:11 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,952,730 times

Advertisements

A noose hanging from a tree outside our Pittsburgh home is tied to a much larger problem | PublicSource

Not terribly shocking.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:31 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,597,652 times
Yes but at least nobody called Regent Square "generic" so...really, how offensive can it be?

Old 10-30-2017, 01:34 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times
2017 and this crap is still going on, unbelievable! I hope it was some dumb kid who doesn't know better. But, I'm guessing it's big dumb white guy that SHOULD know better.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:35 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,281,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Yes but at least nobody called Regent Square "generic" so...really, how offensive can it be?
i think it may be time for me to back out of the sub if you think people conflate these two situations. and im a little surprised seeing this come from somebody like you.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:37 PM

14,351 posts, read 17,006,232 times

Curious as to what part of Regent Square it was in.

In 2010 the city portion of Regent Square was only 1.83% black, which works out to...17 people. Lincoln Place edged it out percentage wise slightly (1.49% - although with a higher total population, nearly three as many black people live there). Oh, and South Shore had no black people, but that's not that unusual when there are only 19 residents.

Last edited by eschaton; 10-30-2017 at 01:49 PM..

Old 10-30-2017, 01:43 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,597,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
i think it may be time for me to back out of the sub if you think people conflate these two situations. and im a little surprised seeing this come from somebody like you.
I don't think people conflate the two, no. But I think a lot of the people who were angry about the McCandless thread, or about kneeling football players, are not going to be angry about this. Are you really surprised that "somebody like me" is losing patience with some of the people on here? I make one sarcastic comment and get called out on it instantly; other people refer to my community as riffraff, whiners, and worse and everyone just lets it go. There comes a point when "somebody like me" has a right to be mad.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:45 PM

969 posts, read 771,253 times
Quote:
I don't think people conflate the two, no. But I think a lot of the people who were angry about the McCandless thread, or about kneeling football players, are not going to be angry about this. Are you really surprised that "someone like me" is losing patience with some of the people on here? I make one sarcastic comment and get called out on it instantly; other people refer to my community as riffraff, whiners, and worse and everyone just lets it go. There comes a point when "someone like me" has a right to be mad.
Yes, I'd love to hear certain posters here condone this behavior but I'm sure they will be silent or spin it. There is a reason city-data Pittsburgh has a reputation just one notch above the Post Gazette comment section.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:55 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,584,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Curious as to what part of Regent Square it was in.

In 2010 the city portion of Regent Square was only 1.83% black, which works out to...17 people. Lincoln Place edged it out percentage wise slightly (1.49% - although with a higher total population, nearly three as many black people live there). Oh, and South Shore had no black people, but that's not that unusual when there are only 19 residents.
800 block of south Braddock, they said. Pittsburgh jurisdiction, I think, if it matters.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:01 PM

14,351 posts, read 17,006,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
800 block of south Braddock, they said. Pittsburgh jurisdiction, I think, if it matters.
Yeah, that's in the city. I think I even know what house it is from the front porch.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:04 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,281,564 times
Quote:
I don't think people conflate the two, no. But I think a lot of the people who were angry about the McCandless thread, or about kneeling football players, are not going to be angry about this. Are you really surprised that "somebody like me" is losing patience with some of the people on here? I make one sarcastic comment and get called out on it instantly; other people refer to my community as riffraff, whiners, and worse and everyone just lets it go. There comes a point when "somebody like me" has a right to be mad.
i'm sorry that some bad actors cross the line sometimes, but i tried to objectively give my thoughts as someone with experience of the area in that thread. i apologize if you are referring to me, but hopefully i'm not lumped into that crowd. i just don't really think it is fair to call that thread as a specific situation where people are becoming outraged with non-issues.

relating to this article, it is horrible that this still happens in today's age and from the article it seems like it is more prevalent than most people like to admit. obviously it doesn't make up for the action but i know if this happened in my neighborhood i would go out of the way to make the family feel welcomed and it looks like people are. but i should probably do more right now as well on a proactive basis.

just curious, but what about this isn't a surprise? i feel like there are 1,000 ways to take that statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh