Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 07:49 AM

508 posts, read 889,620 times

Advertisements

Some friends & family of mine have remarked Pittsburgh isn't a friendly city. At least when compared to the Midwestern charm of Chicago or Southern hospitality. Is it a small city inferiority complex? Is it an ongoing identity crisis? Lingering unresolved black & white tension? The lack of a Hispanic community? The trauma of economic collapse in the 1970's and 1980's? Suspicion of outsiders? Fear of being priced out? What is it?

Let me guess, I'm the only one with friends and family that think this way, right? Nobody else has experienced any of this.

I realize there are good and not good in every city. It's always better to judge the individual in context and not the lot. As a non-native Pittsburgher, I've noticed most of my friends here are also non-native. Which is fine by me. Is this true for others not originally from here?

My own personal observation is if you can judge a city by its drivers then my friends and family are right. The only place with worse drivers is Miami. Otherwise, this city takes the cake for the most inept and dangerous drivers. Pittsburgh can turn a stone-cold atheist into a fundamentalist believer. Because you need a lot of prayers to make it through the day driving here.

Two other observations. Paris is known for its snobbery and New York City is known for its arrogance. Yet they aren't as awful as their critics bemoan. In both cities, tourists do receive help when needed. Newcomers are almost always welcomed. Mind you neither are Shangrilas and neither are cheap places to live in. No $70k housing in either.

On that note, Pittsburgh isn't a cheap city to live in. The only bargain is the housing. Everything else is as expensive as anywhere else and in some cases is far more expensive. It's like 'they' make up giving you a deal on a cheap house by soaking you in other ways. At least wages here aren't as anemic as in Florida.

I'm not kvetching, only noting my anecdotes. One man's opinion and experiences. If I've triggered anyone, spare me the whole 'don't let the door hit you on the way out' routine. The good still outweighs the not good here. There is no ideal or perfect spot on this planet and I know it. What are your experiences here? I'd like to know.

Last edited by HarryRSpooner; 11-08-2017 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 08:06 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Ynizers are tribal, and there's definitely an undercurrent of resentment towards transplants or "The New Pittsburgh". That said, I completely disagree on your assessment of Pittsburgh drivers and COL. In my experience, Pittsburgh drivers are nicer than those in the The BOS-Wash corridor, Atlanta, Chicago or LA. Pittsburgh has relatively high gas prices because of PA's gas tax and Giant Eagle's semi-monopoly, but my two biggest expenses; housing and daycare/private school are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than I'd pay for comparable homes/neighborhoods/schools in other cities.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:13 AM

716 posts, read 765,836 times
It's the lead in the water. And the fact that the murder rate isn't as high as charming Chicago. Instead of killing each other we are just grumpy.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Ynizers are tribal, and there's definitely an undercurrent of resentment towards transplants or "The New Pittsburgh". That said, I completely disagree on your assessment of Pittsburgh drivers and COL. In my experience, Pittsburgh drivers are nicer than those in the The BOS-Wash corridor, Atlanta, Chicago or LA. Pittsburgh has relatively high gas prices because of PA's gas tax and Giant Eagle's semi-monopoly, but my two biggest expenses; housing and daycare/private school are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than I'd pay for comparable homes/neighborhoods/schools in other cities.
Bingo, we have a winner. I buy the statement that Yinzers are tribal. That makes a lot of sense to me. "No, I don't know your cousin, I didn't go to high school here, no seriously." I've used that very response numerous times here.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
It's the lead in the water. And the fact that the murder rate isn't as high as charming Chicago. Instead of killing each other we are just grumpy.

Bingo, I buy the fact it is the lead in the water. As for the murder rate in Chicago, that's mostly isolated to the Southside of Chicago. If you take that out of the city of Chicago, then it is charmingly lower than Pittsburgh overall. In all fairness, I suppose we could take Homewood or Lincoln Larimer out of Pittsburgh and find an even lower rate for Pittsburgh too.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:40 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
define "yinzer"

Old 11-08-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
define "yinzer"
Yinzer: someone born and raised within the incorporated city limits of Pittsburgh or in all fairness Greater Pittsburgh / Allegheny County This can also mean someone that attended all their high school years in the region and still lives here. Whether they took a detour somewhere else or not.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:51 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRSpooner View Post
Yinzer: someone born and raised within the incorporated city limits of Pittsburgh or in all fairness Greater Pittsburgh / Allegheny County This can also mean someone that attended all their high school years in the region and still lives here. Whether they took a detour somewhere else or not.
You come on a friendly forum and generalize with a backhanded insult about the entire population that was born there? yeah, pittsburghers are the unfriendly ones.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
You come on a friendly forum and generalize with a backhanded insult about the entire population that was born there? yeah, pittsburghers are the unfriendly ones.
No, I think you've now just proven my point bud, haven't you? There is no backhanded here. I'm being upfront. I've noticed older Yinzers are super nice and super friendly. Like the 70 or 80 and up crowd. They take pride in their homes and run a tight ship. Those people I have a lot of respect for. You know the ones that clean their homes and their yards. The ones that are proud of having raised good honest hardworking children and grandchildren. Is that backhanded to you?

Old 11-08-2017, 09:02 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRSpooner View Post
Not all natives are yinzers. Not even all working-class white natives are yinzers, but that demo is the gatekeeper of yinzerism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh