U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 05:38 PM

2,863 posts, read 2,417,460 times

Advertisements

If you use the t dormont is not bad but why bother when there are other places that make better sense.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 07:39 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,360,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Hardly, 2.5 hours. If you are able to avoid the absolute peak of rush hour, it is doeable. With a stay at home spouse and a job that is slightly flexible where you might be able to pop in early or leave a little late. My GPS is showing a 15 minute ride right now if you pop through the tunnel and hop on Bigelow. That budget is going to involve some sacrifice, but if it were me I would risk balancing a little more commute time than be stuck in a worse school with a small concrete slab as a backyard.
You don’t need GPS, you need a PAT schedule - doesn’t want to drive, no dedicated parking and not much of a commuter and you can’t get to shadyside from brookline on transit in under an hour. Heck, even Blawnox was a better option.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
You don’t need GPS, you need a PAT schedule - doesn’t want to drive, no dedicated parking and not much of a commuter and you can’t get to shadyside from brookline on transit in under an hour. Heck, even Blawnox was a better option.
Dormont to shadyside is 65 minutes at 8am with 2 transfers and costs 5:50 according to pats trip planner

Old 11-23-2017, 10:09 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,573,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Dormont to shadyside is 65 minutes at 8am with 2 transfers and costs 5:50 according to pats trip planner
An hour commute to be in a better school and have an actual yard with grass might be worth the sacrifice for some people.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
An hour commute to be in a better school and have an actual yard with grass might be worth the sacrifice for some people.
Sorry but I am a South hills guy born and raised but once you have to drive through the city there are better choices. Aspinwall to shadyside is 36 minutes according to Pat transit plus I believe that is in fox chapel schools.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:42 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,306,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
OK, if the OP were willing to do that, they might as well look over on the North side, or in Reserve. It's possible to find neat houses under $150k that are also about an hour by bus to Shadyside, but with only one transfer instead of two.

This is a great location, near a nice coffee shop etc, on a high ridge that has cool views of the Ohio river:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M48868-00170

Here's one over in Reserve, which means the Shaler school district:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M35110-78624

All that being said, I still think Blawnox is a pretty good idea, or Sharpsburg if they find anything in their price range, or Greenfield if they want to live in the city.

OP, for what it's worth I live in the North side in the city, and my kid goes to Allegheny Traditional Academy K-5. We're really happy with it, and although it's a magnet it's not hard to get a spot there. School districts are always a really touchy subject on these boards, but if you want to know more about the public schools in the city you're welcome to send me a direct message. I can't speak to the Greenfield schools too specifically, but I can tell you that there are a lot of families that live in the city and are really happy with the schools, though obviously there are a lot of great suburban districts too.

Last edited by RogersParkTransplant; 11-23-2017 at 10:57 PM..

Old 11-23-2017, 10:44 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,306,198 times
Quote:
The OP already put in their first post that they personally prefer to use public transportation if they can. Not sure if they have said anything about yards and grass, but it's not hard to find homes with yards and grass in the city. I have one, and as much as we enjoy the apple and pear trees in the Fall it's almost too big of a yard for us to handle in the summer, when we're constantly mowing the lawn. (Editing to add -- sorry, they did say that a little yard for gardening would be nice -- but again, that's not hard to find in the city, and the commute seemed a bigger concern. Hopefully they will jump in to clarify.)

Last edited by RogersParkTransplant; 11-23-2017 at 11:01 PM..

Old 11-24-2017, 12:14 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,251,900 times
since we are talking over an hour commute, my joke earlier in this thread all of a sudden makes more sense than any of you IMO.

-want a yard, great.
-walkable? can be very walkable but really less than 2 miles to everything you could ever want as far as convenience, general shopping, eating, and drinking. even have an old school theater.
-150k for a decent house? no problem. lower taxes too..
-housing stock? anything you can imagine from 100+ yr old Victorian, 4 square, farm houses, 50's ranches, 80's split entries, haunted mansions, and city datas favorite newer construction
-good school district? got most of ya beat.
-35 minutes from the park n ride to wilkinsburg busway on westmoreland transit, fold out your bike or hop a pat for the next 10 minutes and your under an hour.

welcome to pittsburgh suburbs best old 'main street usa' town OP I even found you a house
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...10624654_zpid/

Old 11-24-2017, 09:21 AM

2,968 posts, read 2,338,645 times
Again, not suggesting Brookline but to clarify the difference between Brookline and Dormont is that the Brookline bus drops you off directly at the East Busway rather than the T from Dormont which can only get you to Steel Plaza.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:03 AM
gg

21,655 posts, read 20,595,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whmegan View Post
In brief, we would like to buy for 150k as close to Shadyside as we can get, in an area with public schools that are well regarded by their community. Where should we look?
I think this thread lost its way. If you just go by this Aspinwall would be the best option, but there isn't much there. I think Sharpsburg/O'Hara area is okay. I see Kerr school as pretty good and probably it will get better and better.

There are some small pockets of homes around in O'Hara, but not much in that $150K range.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/12_zm/0_mmm/

Blawnox is a great location and people don't know the area well enough. There is a path along the road and it is flat and used by many. It isn't a sidewalk, but a path, which isn't that big of a deal except if it snows, then it would be a bit of a drag.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4906...7i13312!8i6656
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh