U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 04:17 PM

5,046 posts, read 5,294,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I have to agree with you, most areas employment is harder to come by if you are not established, the op on the other hand, unless he is burning down buildings on a monthly basis he should be able to have a choice of multiple job offers. One of my friends had trouble finding a residential tech at 60k a year plus commission.
Two people I know that are unemployed ; one has a masters in accounting and has to take something about $50K a year. The other has a masters in Marketing and again, is looking at something for $45K a year. The accounting lass is in her late 40's probably early 50's, the marketing lass is in her mid 20's. Both are from PA ; one on the other side of the state, and the other is from Pittsburgh but moved out of state for a few years. My husband ended up moving to a different part of the state and has a regular job as a truck driver bringing home about $65K a year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 04:18 PM

13 posts, read 10,561 times
We aren't really stuck on pittsburgh my major concerns are taxes under 4500, good schools and there's HVAC work within a reasonable distance. I've brought up bucks county which I believe is outside philly but my wife is worried about the crime. I was under the impression that the crime is in certain areas of phillys city but I'm not sure. We definitely will be visiting Long Island often but not every weekend. We'd like an acre or more IF that's possible. Im definitely open to ANY and all suggestions. We don't want to be in the city or too close in any of the areas but I do want to get the most money out of my career and I believe most of those jobs will be relatively close to the city. I'm ok with a 30-45 min drive give it take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benicetome View Post
I don't know how often you plan to make the trip to Long Island to visit family but that's a very long drive. My husband and I and our 2 children moved from Long Island almost 20 years ago and settled in Bucks County Pa. It's a beautiful area with great schools and a reasonable under 3 hour drive to visit all our family still on the eastern part of LI.

Maybe you could best explain to me the philly area? Is the city that bad? Like is it recommended not even to go into it for nightlife or whatnot? I'm just not sure of how bad philly actually is to develop the nick name killadephia. I liked what I was seeing as far as school ratings and afforsability in some of bucks county and all the houses I viewed online seemed nice but I've never visited anywhere in PA besides the poconos for vacation.

Guys no need to argue. The fact is, without me even knowing the area, is that my field is way more in demand then an accountant, teacher, or corporate professional. I'm more concerned with the going rate for my experience. I have commercial hvac, residential hvac and refrigeration experience prodominently commercial and refrigeration. I have a lot of options in that sense. Almost 12 years experience and I'm only 30. I'd like to believe companies will want that.

Last edited by Yac; 12-05-2017 at 02:57 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 12-04-2017, 04:45 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,370,415 times
nope, if you don't put fries on your salad, pierogies on your pizza, and wear a louis lipps throwback to church on sundays they won't hire you!

joking of course. i mean, not to harp on dorothy but she is mad her husband didnt walk in and get a cushy high paying job when the skills you need for it are basically 'you can't have a dui within 5 years, being able to read is a plus'.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:10 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,471,821 times
OP -- Philadelphia itself is much, much safer and cleaner than it was 20-30 years ago. It's a big place, some parts very safe, some not. The real issue is that the suburbs within 45 minutes of the city are not places where you can get a house on an acre of land very easily. 45 minutes outside of Harrisburg, on the other hand, you can probably get what you really want. I am really not sure if you can get an acre of land for your ideal price within an hour of Pittsburgh, but others on here will know more. Within 45 minutes of Erie or Youngstown might also work for you, but you would be much farther from Long Island, of course.

Last edited by RogersParkTransplant; 12-04-2017 at 05:21 PM..

Old 12-04-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
nope, if you don't put fries on your salad, pierogies on your pizza, and wear a louis lipps throwback to church on sundays they won't hire you!

joking of course. i mean, not to harp on dorothy but she is mad her husband didnt walk in and get a cushy high paying job when the skills you need for it are basically 'you can't have a dui within 5 years, being able to read is a plus'.
and what makes you think I am mad that my husband didn't get a high paying cushy job????? Really, he spent all of last winter working his rear end off on the docks. He is willing to do anything to support his family as I am too. You have blown this way off course and you are wrong on so many levels.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
OP -- Philadelphia itself is much, much safer and cleaner than it was 20-30 years ago. It's a big place, some parts very safe, some not. The real issue is that the suburbs within 45 minutes of the city are not places where you can get a house on an acre of land very easily. 45 minutes outside of Harrisburg, on the other hand, you can probably get what you really want. I am really not sure if you can get an acre of land for your ideal price within an hour of Pittsburgh, but others on here will know more. Within 45 minutes of Erie or Youngstown might also work for you, but you would be much farther from Long Island, of course.
We may have to settle for less land. I'm just trying to get an idea of what will best fit us. I will look into Harrisburg and see what I think. Thank you

Old 12-04-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnnativeLI View Post
Guys no need to argue. The fact is, without me even knowing the area, is that my field is way more in demand then an accountant, teacher, or corporate professional. I'm more concerned with the going rate for my experience. I have commercial hvac, residential hvac and refrigeration experience prodominently commercial and refrigeration. I have a lot of options in that sense. Almost 12 years experience and I'm only 30. I'd like to believe companies will want that.
Well done for working hard and being where you want. I would stay to the east side of the state because of a few things ;
Distance to Long Island. Pittsburgh is at least a 9 hour drive to Medford (just saying there as its where most of our friends are).
Schools ; friends of ours live in Gilbertsville and the schools I believe are pretty good.
We also have friends in Lehigh and their schools are very good. They also go back to Long Island often and it is very doable.

If you want any other opinions or advice, please send me a message.

Thanks and good luck.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:34 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,471,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnnativeLI View Post
We may have to settle for less land. I'm just trying to get an idea of what will best fit us. I will look into Harrisburg and see what I think. Thank you
If I were you, I might look at the area around North Park. North Park is fantastic, and having quick access to it could satisfy your need for open land. The suburbs all through there have good schools, and taxes are cheaper in Butler county.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Well done for working hard and being where you want. I would stay to the east side of the state because of a few things ;
Distance to Long Island. Pittsburgh is at least a 9 hour drive to Medford (just saying there as its where most of our friends are).
Schools ; friends of ours live in Gilbertsville and the schools I believe are pretty good.
We also have friends in Lehigh and their schools are very good. They also go back to Long Island often and it is very doable.

If you want any other opinions or advice, please send me a message.

Thanks and good luck.
I appreciate the insight! I'm glad to hear both sides. Thank you!

Old 12-05-2017, 10:21 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,769,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Not true. My husband is a truck driver and I work in accounting. It is not BS. We sold our business in NY to a major corporation who have offices here in Pittsburgh. When we were selling, we asked if we could get jobs with them here and they said no problem. We applied locally and neither of us got a job there. My husband also had a job for many years with another large corporation who had 4 stores in the Pittsburgh area. He applied and got nothing. He ended up getting a job in Youngstown and commuted daily for 10 months until that closed down.
I was recently laid off and didn't get a job for 10 months. The reason I got the job ; I had a background in this industry. Otherwise, I went for many interviews, have great references and nada.
Maybe its BS for you..... but I said "if you are in the right line of work". Commercial HVAC is the right kind of work as I have a brother who is in that industry and there is a lot of it going on. Engineering and IT is the right line of work

Although- I know accountants and they seem to get plenty of opportunities. No clue on truck driving...... but I see ads for truck drivers everywhere, and a million trucks on the road. Lower paying work is different than no work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh