Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 11:33 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,458,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
To add to the list:

Mt. Washington in the areas closer to the Shiloh St/Virginia Ave corridor. It's a bit more residential while being central to the city, having most amenities, and close enough that if you get bored you can Uber/Lyft to South Side for under $10 and/or Lawrenceville (or other places on the East End) for under $15. It's like Baby Bear's Bed: Not too rowdy, but not exactly a dead zone either. There's a fair amount of 20-30 somethings in the neighborhood. There's a decent amount of new development happening too. Agree with this suggestion as well. Great option for a local small bar scene thats not too hectic, but very quick to the south side for going out for the real action. Also very easy to commute in almost all directions of the city if thats a concern

Despite the name, there are no actual Strip Clubs in the Strip District (it's more to do w/ it being a "strip" of land). Cheerleaders?

South Side is mostly just "bro" on the weekends. During the week it has its own character and vibe, though it does have a bit of a junkie problem. During the weekends you have to worry about drunk people hitting your car and/or peeing on your porch - but if you can get beyond that (which a lot of people do) - it definitely has no shortage of entertainment options. Definitely caters to 20-30 somethings. I put midweek S side as pretty much a mix of college student, punk, bohemian, transient drifter type vibe. weekends become bro/suburban party central. Still a great place to live as a mid 20's person looking to be close to a lot of amenities.
besides these, I tend to agree with most others. Lawrenceville, shadyside, Bloomfield, friendship, probably are your best bets. I would probably rule out all of the north side and troy hill as a mid 20s looking to be in the midst of the action with people your own age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 11:52 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I am a young guy from Boston. I love this town and lived here my whole life, but I can't afford the lifestyle that I want at my income level. I am looking to move someplace where I can afford to live on my own in a safe, active part of town without living paycheck to paycheck.

I am not huge on nightlife, but I am only 25 so I do need some kind of stimulation.

Safety and quality of life is a priority for me as well. I don't mind living in a transitional neighborhood but I don't want to be someplace where my neighbors are living in squalor

Friendly people is also a big factor for me, and something I am really missing living in Boston.

I have never been to Pittsburgh but it seems to fit what I am looking for.

How is it like over here ? Are the winters worse than in Boston? What are the people like
I'm a 25 year old I also make approximately 70k a year (with no debt) so were very similar in that way. You will live like a king here if you're single, honestly. It's pretty great.

Pittsburgh is a safe city for the most part (probably akin to Boston), but QOL would he higher due to the lower COL. Pittsburghers are friendly compares the our coastal neighbors, but not southern or midwestern friendly.

Winters are colder than Boston and much darker and gloomier. We get about the same amount of snow, but we get lots of trademark light lake effect snows (1 or 2" snows) and 3 to 6" storms versus noreasters. So less heavy but way more frequent.

By your posts on this thread look at the following neighborhoods:

Mount Washington
Lawrenceville
Friendship
Bloomfield
South Side Slopes
Shadyside
South Side
Oakland
Strip District
Dormont
Brookline

Old 12-06-2017, 12:00 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I'm a 25 year old I also make approximately 70k a year (with no debt) so were very similar in that way. You will live like a king here if you're single, honestly. It's pretty great.

Pittsburgh is a safe city for the most part (probably akin to Boston), but QOL would he higher due to the lower COL. Pittsburghers are friendly compares the our coastal neighbors, but not southern or midwestern friendly.

Winters are colder than Boston and much darker and gloomier. We get about the same amount of snow, but we get lots of trademark light lake effect snows (1 or 2" snows) and 3 to 6" storms versus noreasters. So less heavy but way more frequent.

By your posts on this thread look at the following neighborhoods:

Mount Washington
Lawrenceville
Friendship
Bloomfield
South Side Slopes
Shadyside
South Side
Oakland
Strip District
Dormont
Brookline
what industry are you in? that seems to be pretty high.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:06 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
what industry are you in? that seems to be pretty high.
Engineering

Old 12-06-2017, 12:30 PM

595 posts, read 599,985 times
Just throwing this out there - might Bloomfield be the most walkable neighborhood in Pittsburgh? Not sure how much that matters to OP - but seeing it mentioned here got me thinking:

-It has a pretty complete business district of its own on W Liberty.
-It's adjacent to other walkable districts (Butler St, Penn Ave, Baum/Centre)
-It's relatively flat and decent for biking
-It's close to the busway while having other lines as well
-It's still pretty close to East Liberty, The Strip, Shadyside, and Oakland
-Adjacent to Allegheny Cemetery

Old 12-06-2017, 12:39 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
Just throwing this out there - might Bloomfield be the most walkable neighborhood in Pittsburgh? Not sure how much that matters to OP - but seeing it mentioned here got me thinking:

-It has a pretty complete business district of its own on W Liberty.
-It's adjacent to other walkable districts (Butler St, Penn Ave, Baum/Centre)
-It's relatively flat and decent for biking
-It's close to the busway while having other lines as well
-It's still pretty close to East Liberty, The Strip, Shadyside, and Oakland
-Adjacent to Allegheny Cemetery
I don't know if I'd say Bloomfield is the most walkable, just because the Shur-Save is a junky grocery store and set to close soon (though the Aldi is still on Penn). It is certainly the best neighborhood to live in if you don't have a car though. You can get a direct bus to almost anywhere Downtown and to the east within city limits (only exceptions are Regent Square, Swisshelm Park, Uptown, parts of Greater Homewood). You can also use the 54 to get to the South Side and the North Side. There's literally no "destination" commercial district which isn't easily accessible.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:54 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
I'm kind of suprised I haven't seen anyone mention Downtown as a place to live. There are quite a few options and I think some more affordable ones, and more being planned and built. It will definitely provide plenty of things to do and although the grocery options are pretty limited, it would be one of the best as a lively neighborhood in my opinion. And walking to work is a huge benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh