Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 01:01 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Obviously, there's some snark and hypberbole here (which shouldn't need to be explained but evidently does).

Both universities have their bubbles, as all schools do. But Pitt is located in the middle of a major city that was not solely created to cater to the needs of its students. Both are great schools, academically, but have much different campus feels and cultures.

It is true about hyperbole and different cultures (and about both being great schools). On the culture point, it is true that Penn State students protested when they fired a coach who would have gone to prison if he hadn't died. Pitt students protest about a variety of causes that are mostly left wing, but if you think the Fight for $15 is somehow worse than "Bury the evidence against the coach that hid a child molester to win football games," I'm not going to take you seriously if you call Pitt "cliquish".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 01:10 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
It is true about hyperbole and different cultures (and about both being great schools). On the culture point, it is true that Penn State students protested when they fired a coach who would have gone to prison if he hadn't died. Pitt students protest about a variety of causes that are mostly left wing, but if you think the Fight for $15 is somehow worse than "Bury the evidence against the coach that hid a child molester to win football games," I'm not going to take you seriously if you call Pitt "cliquish".
At the risk of derailment, Paterno wouldn't have gone to prison. He did exactly what he was supposed to do, report the incident to his superiors, who were the ones to file the report to CPS.

In the same time frame, had I, as a high school teacher, suspected or had been informed of abuse I was required to report it to my building Principal who was charged as the primary reporter to CPS. Had I reported it to CPS and bypassed the Principal I would have been fired, even with tenure.

The laws changed in the early 2000s making certain people who had been mandated reporters also mandated primary reporters. There was no longer an intermediate step to CPS.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:17 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Considering the scandal came out in 2011 and Paterno died in 2012, most all of those students are long gone and so are those who were involved in the scandal. You’re also referring to main campus, while the OP’s son is looking to go to a branch campus. You’re also referring to a minority of students who protested compared to most of the students who did not.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:35 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,049 times
At total risk of derailment, is erieguy a high school teacher? I admit I didn't see that one coming.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
At total risk of derailment, is erieguy a high school teacher? I admit I didn't see that one coming.
I think you're talking about me, and yes, although now retired. I taught in Maryland but PA reporting requirements weren't much different. If anything they were less stringent.

I know the above because I desultorily played with moving back to PA as an administrator for several years. The problem was that I was too expensive for the school systems that interested me.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:55 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think you're talking about me, and yes, although now retired. I taught in Maryland but PA reporting requirements weren't much different. If anything they were less stringent.

I know the above because I desultorily played with moving back to PA as an administrator for several years. The problem was that I was too expensive for the school systems that interested me.
Ohhh, sheesh, thank you. Yes, I was reading quickly and mixed up your comment with erieguy's. For a moment there I was really confused.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:49 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think you're talking about me, and yes, although now retired.

Sorry, I had to.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:29 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Thanks for the opinions. Its just so confusing because we didn't go to college here and while our eldest is in college here in Pittsburgh, our youngest is a different student. CCAC is not an option for him because we will not be living here after next summer. I went to the community colleges as a older student and found them great.
He will also be doing some sort of ROTC or National Guard.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post

Sorry, I had to.
Notice I said "now retired" not "retired now" in order to differentiate us.

It took me awhile to get that, by the way. I thought you were commenting on my having been a teacher and was scratching my head.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:26 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
If he's interested in kinesiology, then he should look at the course offerings and think about which location will give him best access to classes he wants to take, as well as future internships and work opportunities. This really shouldn't be about politics; college campuses are tolerant environments in general, and have their own culture that is largely separate from whatever else goes on around them. In other words, whether a campus is in a city or out in a small town may make a difference in what kinds of jobs etc the students may find, but the campus bubbles themselves aren't all that different in the end, and Penn state students on the whole are very similar to Pitt students. Since we are talking about satellite campuses, though, it really is important to look carefully at the course offerings in his intended major, since those vary a lot among the smaller sites.
if i were to do it again i would look at three things. cost, majors, and job options. it worked out well for me but campus environment is pretty overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh