Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 11:28 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Agree. Life isn't fun without a bathtub. Showers are for people with too much stress in their lives trying to climb the corporate ladder perhaps and cram a million things into a day and don't see the value in soaking in a tub, taking time for their health. Lol..
I don't see much healthful about wasting time sitting in a vat of rapidly cooling water (and my own filth) when I could be warm and dry and doing something else that I actually find relaxing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 11:34 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
While personally I don’t ever use tubs so I don’t care, but in my house someone spent a lot of money installing a very large & elaborate jacuzzi tub. The problem is that the hot water tank has less capacity then it takes to filll up the tub which makes it more or less useless if you want a hot bath.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:57 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
While personally I don’t ever use tubs so I don’t care, but in my house someone spent a lot of money installing a very large & elaborate jacuzzi tub. The problem is that the hot water tank has less capacity then it takes to filll up the tub which makes it more or less useless if you want a hot bath.
When we were looking at houses we saw this home on Monterrey Street on the North Side. It didn't have a lot of original features left inside (and a dumb great room layout on the first floor) but it had a nice backyard, historic facade, and was in a great location.

My wife vetoed it for one reason. The previous owners (or maybe the owners before) converted what was the rear bedroom on the second floor into a master bath and a second-floor laundry closet. But they did a terrible job of it. The resulting bathroom was ginormous with a ton of wasted space - particularly due to a Jacuzzi tub installed diagonally to one corner of the room on a raised pedestal. The original bathroom off the main hall was much better (not original to the home of course, but older and tastefully done).

My wife loved the location, but she was nitpicky enough to veto the house because she would have felt obligated to rip out the bathroom entirely, which would cost a lot of money and cause the resale value of the home to drop.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:31 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Can't remember the last time I took a bath, maybe 4th grade. First thing we did when we bought our current house was rip out the 50 gallon Jacuzzi tub in the MB. But get rid of the Pittsburgh Toilet, NEVER!

Old 01-10-2018, 12:52 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
No, but the Japanese manage it.
Bathing in Japan is pretty different than in the US. The toilet and bath are in separate rooms. The bath(tub) room is typically a wet room with a floor drain, so you actually do the cleaning with a shower head or bucket before getting into the tub. The tub itself is just for soaking, not cleaning.

But I agree with your sentiment. A tub is nice if you have kids, but no way is it really necessary.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:34 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I installed an electric instant hot water tank between my hot water tank and my tub, when the water starts getting cold the instant tank takes over. I did all the work myself. It costs me about $600 in parts, my wife has used the tub 3 times in 6 years.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:50 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't see much healthful about wasting time sitting in a vat of rapidly cooling water (and my own filth) when I could be warm and dry and doing something else that I actually find relaxing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ha! Unless you're a chimney sweeper or coal miner, how dirty can one get?

Old 01-10-2018, 02:51 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
The conflicting trends of gigantic tubs and water saver shower heads and toilets are positively moronic.

And then there are the front loader washers that don't clean clothes.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:41 PM

219 posts, read 157,700 times
Buying a house without a bathtub would have been unthinkable for me. Even though the cast iron tub/shower combo is a bit short for a tall woman, I've taken a soak in it at least once a week since I bought the house. Oddly enough, while my last two new construction houses had the typical huge Jacuzzi tub/separate shower combo, I didn't soak nearly as often as the tubs took long to fill up and were a pain to keep clean. I do wish, though, that the house had the fantastic claw foot tub my parents have in their home. Those are the best for a long soak with a good book.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:39 PM

807 posts, read 617,338 times
Getting back to that original listing, I am surprised to see that it is already contingent! I thought that was pretty aggressively priced for a 3 bedroom, and I have seen aggressively priced Dormont flips sit for awhile. For example, this house:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...omePageTab=buy

was priced pretty aggressively back in November, and at least according to Zillow, the listing was removed in late December -- although I guess I'm not certain that this didn't sell (I assumed it didn't sell and was removed so it can be re-listed as "new" in a month or so).

I think someone did raise a good point about Dormont taxes a few pages back -- it would be hard to stomach the prospect of $7,000 or more a year in property/school tax burden for that 3 bedroom on Tolma. I also took a quick look at the current $250k and under market in Mt. Lebanon, and you can definitely get the same amount of space for equal (or less) money in Lebo -- although without the HGTv finishes. That said, the Tolma home is very convenient for T access, as well as the Beverly and Washington Road commercial districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh