Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 08:20 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
mt Washington was a joke. There are still streets that have not been plowed or salted at all. People were calling 311 to complain and the city was responding that the roads were all cleared. the tracker app showed streets were treated that clearly were not.

South side is still pretty bad as well, but at least its mostly flat. the slopes on the other hand, I have not been up there to see.
Just curious...how could an app, that is built off the use of GPS tied to a snow plow/salt truck lie? I could see if the street was treated and the app wasn't showing it because the GPS was not working, but how could it show it was treated if a GPS did not travel down it?

I find that app to be spot on. I have clicked on it while the plow was coming up my street and it shows it on the app coming up my street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 08:22 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
mt Washington was a joke. There are still streets that have not been plowed or salted at all. People were calling 311 to complain and the city was responding that the roads were all cleared. the tracker app showed streets were treated that clearly were not.

South side is still pretty bad as well, but at least its mostly flat. the slopes on the other hand, I have not been up there to see.
But Peduto keeps getting re-elected.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:38 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,053 times
The ironic thing is, that I complained three weeks ago about the City's roads in winter: Peduto appointed to board of national environmental organization

And I was brushed off.

The Hill District was a mess this morning. I'm not looking forward to going home this afternoon.
It's a shame that Theresa Kail-Smith doesn't take a stab at running for Mayor - she seems to be a voice of common-sense and reason on City Council.
Quote:
Smith, who’s been critical of the Peduto Administration’s response to the last two snowstorms, is calling for an overhaul of snow removal operations. But KDKA has learned that many plow operators just didn’t come to work this weekend, leaving the city shorthanded.
While the city is looking to discipline those no-show employees, Smith says the people want the administration to refocus on providing core services.

“They don’t care about anything that we do across the state, across the country, other countries, they care about what we’re doing right here in Pittsburgh that effect their quality of life everyday. That’s what we need to improve on,” she said.

City Streets Snow-Covered As Plow Operators Stay Home « CBS Pittsburgh

Old 01-16-2018, 08:38 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Just curious...how could an app, that is built off the use of GPS tied to a snow plow/salt truck lie? I could see if the street was treated and the app wasn't showing it because the GPS was not working, but how could it show it was treated if a GPS did not travel down it?
What I saw with the people who were upset in my neighborhood was that they were assuming that if a truck went down their street and and it was displayed as "treated" that would mean that the snow was gone and the road was clear. That wasn't happening in these conditions, especially on lightly traveled side streets and dead ends.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 01-16-2018 at 08:55 AM..

Old 01-16-2018, 08:42 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post

I find that app to be spot on. I have clicked on it while the plow was coming up my street and it shows it on the app coming up my street.
Just because a truck traveled down a road doesn't mean the employee did his job correctly. There are areas that obviously were not treated.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
The ironic thing is, that I complained three weeks ago about the City's roads in winter: Peduto appointed to board of national environmental organization

And I was brushed off.

The Hill District was a mess this morning. I'm not looking forward to going home this afternoon.
It's a shame that Theresa Kail-Smith doesn't take a stab at running for Mayor - she seems to be a voice of common-sense and reason on City Council.

Beyond taking action on the call offs, what can the city do if someone does show up? Perhaps Kail-Smith could jump in a plow truck and try her hand at it.

I mean if the issue was funding/hiring/or lack of vehicles that is one thing, but when people don't show up what can you do?

Old 01-16-2018, 08:50 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Quote:

Where? I live on an "alley" and it's fine.

Why does everyone expect perfect snow removal in an hour? It's in the mid 20s and rock salt doesn't work that great as it gets colder. Reason why having a vehicle decent in the snow with winter tires is needed in this region (some people commenting in this thread repeatedly say in moving threads that snow tires aren't needed/neither is AWD, then b**** when their road doesn't look perfect in a day).

Old 01-16-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Just because a truck traveled down a road doesn't mean the employee did his job correctly. There are areas that obviously were not treated.

So we are now operating under the assumption that they are just driving down streets not plowing or dropping salt just to check the box that the street was treated?

Old 01-16-2018, 08:57 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
But Peduto keeps getting re-elected.
I drove through downtown a couple times over the weekend. The streets were a disgrace. For several years now it seems the City just ignores the downtown streets. That is not the image the City should project to people coming downtown from the suburbs. Even the bike lanes had not been treated!

Old 01-16-2018, 08:58 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What I saw with the people who were upset in my neighborhood was that they were assuming that if a truck went down their street and and it was displayed as "treated" that would mean that the snow was gone and the road was clear. That wasn't happening in these conditions, especially on lightly traveled side streets and dead ends.
If a street has been plowed and treated in my borough, the snow is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh