Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 08:14 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,099,940 times

Advertisements

I-376 Parkway East – Fort Pitt Bridge to Edgewood/Swissvale
Construction plans are being developed on this estimated $18-20 million improvement project on I-376 (Parkway East) between the Fort Pitt Bridge and the Edgewood/Swissvale (Exit 77) interchange. Work includes milling and resurfacing, guiderail updates, ramp improvements, and minor bridge repairs. Project start and end dates are still being finalized; however, the work will occur in 2018.

Details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 08:19 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,958,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I-376 Parkway East – Fort Pitt Bridge to Edgewood/Swissvale
Construction plans are being developed on this estimated $18-20 million improvement project on I-376 (Parkway East) between the Fort Pitt Bridge and the Edgewood/Swissvale (Exit 77) interchange. Work includes milling and resurfacing, guiderail updates, ramp improvements, and minor bridge repairs. Project start and end dates are still being finalized; however, the work will occur in 2018.

Details
Just a new overlay, not a complete replacement like Parkway West.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:57 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,989,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Because PA's income tax is a flat 3% and Ohio does a better job with a progressive income tax so that higher income people pay more (it maxes out at 5%). I'm glad you think this is a better idea, but it is certainly more fair than using the Turnpike revenues to substitute for taxes as a way of paying for other roads.
Or because Ohio is not a mismanaged as PA.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:58 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,989,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Good comment and right on the mark. I once read that widening roads and building more highways to "relieve congestion" is like an obese man getting another notch on his belt because it's become too tight.
This analogy is completely wrong. Government exists to serve the people not to control them.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:00 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
This analogy is completely wrong. Government exists to serve the people not to control them.
People without cars or who don't like to be required to use cars for everything are people too.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:03 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
Or because Ohio is not a mismanaged as PA.
As a former employee of the State of Ohio, I appreciate your compliment.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:21 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,958,830 times
Quote:
A city needs the appropriate infrastructure for its size, but I think 16 lane freeways just create more chaos because the choke points still exist. The key is to find more ways to move people around efficiently, using secondary roads and public transit as well and improve core infrastructure to encourage living closer to employment. Pittsburgh has done a very good job in the last 15 years in that realm given its limitations.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:51 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfiler View Post
Thankfully, millennials predominately share this philosophy. They don't want to waste their days commuting to and from work. Nor do they want to work in sterile office parks. Generally, they would prefer to see their tax dollars spent on transit than on highways.
The Pittsburgh traffic wouldn't be getting worse if this was true. The new census estimates should reflect growth in the outer suburbs and a decline in the city neighborhoods outside of the East End.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:10 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,725,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
A city needs the appropriate infrastructure for its size, but I think 16 lane freeways just create more chaos because the choke points still exist.
Christ, nobody's talking about 16-lane highways, just more than four. Six to eight would be perfect. In fact, six to eight would be normal for metropolitan areas of similar size.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:27 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,049,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The Pittsburgh traffic wouldn't be getting worse if this was true. The new census estimates should reflect growth in the outer suburbs and a decline in the city neighborhoods outside of the East End.
I think the thought process about a new generation of Americans flocking to cities, going car-less, and all that, is a perceptible but not dominant trend. Sooner or later, when they have children, its off to the Hills (North or South, that is) for more attractive school districts.

For Pittsburgh, the East End resurgence is a success, but it's true that long term economic growth and population expansion, as it has been in several lifetimes, is out in the suburbs.

It is a startling difference in dealing with people out in the Fayettes and elsewhere, vs. the City. They are out there, raising happy kids, going to soccer games, and being all Mayberry. To me, it's like another world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh