U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 07:31 AM

1,443 posts, read 713,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
i hate to call you out and mean it in the nicest was possible but the north side includes every neighborhood north of downtown, so i think saying there is no blight in the north side is confusing. the lower north side is more appropriate and would be pretty true. MWS have always been pretty nice but there has definitely been expansion of nice houses around them. but you were never going to get one of the great houses for much under 200k. i agree totally about east deutchtown though. awesome houses.
Which neighborhoods count as lower north side? I really only know about the MWS, Allegheny West, the North Shore, and East Allegheny. I thought other neighborhoods like Marshall-Shadeland and California Kirkbride were considered lower north side and still had significant poverty issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 08:21 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,217,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
i hate to call you out and mean it in the nicest was possible but the north side includes every neighborhood north of downtown, so i think saying there is no blight in the north side is confusing. the lower north side is more appropriate and would be pretty true. MWS have always been pretty nice but there has definitely been expansion of nice houses around them. but you were never going to get one of the great houses for much under 200k. i agree totally about east deutchtown though. awesome houses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Which neighborhoods count as lower north side? I really only know about the MWS, Allegheny West, the North Shore, and East Allegheny. I thought other neighborhoods like Marshall-Shadeland and California Kirkbride were considered lower north side and still had significant poverty issues.

Yeah, sorry, this is what I get for responding quickly on my phone -- this all just goes back to trying to give the OP (who is probably gone anyway) a sense of neighborhoods where there is some urgency because prices are changing fast. I am really talking about the areas that are walkable to the North Shore and downtown, which is mainly Allegheny West, Manchester, the Central North side (technically including the MWS) and Deutschtown on both sides of 279.

One of my coworkers bought a really nice 3br/2ba house in the heart of the MWS for about $190k in 2015. Not one of the grand 5br/3ba versions, which were more like $290k back then...and sell for more like $400k now...but definitely still an awesome house, and one of several that were available at that time. I don't see any listing like my friend's for under $260k now, and they don't sit on the market for long.

Whether Cali-Kirkbride and Marshall-Shadeland count as "lower" Northside is tricky; it's true that they still have blight but also true that they are changing fast. They are also farther out than the places I am talking about. I know several families from our elementary school who have moved to MS in the past few years. Cali-Kirkbride has longer to go, but they are literally on the wrong side of the tracks and that makes them much less walkable than you might think. Even so...it's all a moving target.

But yes, I didn't mean to imply that the whole North side is moving this fast. Troy Hill, Spring Garden, and Spring Hill are certainly changing, but at a slower pace. Brighton Heights too, but Perry Hilltop and Observatory Hill are tricky -- some parts are still stuck; others are indeed changing, but it's much more complicated -- and that's definitely not what I am talking about for anyone looking to grab a house; I really mean the MWS and areas like it in the innermost parts of the North side.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:38 AM

12,717 posts, read 12,482,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Whether Cali-Kirkbride and Marshall-Shadeland count as "lower" Northside is tricky; it's true that they still have blight but also true that they are changing fast. They are also farther out than the places I am talking about. I know several families from our elementary school who have moved to MS in the past few years. Cali-Kirkbride has longer to go, but they are literally on the wrong side of the tracks and that makes them much less walkable than you might think. Even so...it's all a moving target.
Geographically speaking, California-Kirkbride is certainly part of the lower Northside. Except for the little micro-neighborhood on the hilltop around Island Avenue and Success Street (which ironically is the nicest part of the neighborhood) it's on the same largely flat plain as Manchester and the MWS. Hell, Brighton Place is literally only two blocks from Buena Vista Street.

I actually would argue that if you're going to include East Deutschtown in the Lower Northside, you should drag along the lower part of Spring Garden and Troy Hill as well. Generally these areas are more similar in terms of housing age, built form, and urbanity to the rowhousey parts of the North Side than to the rugged streetcar suburbs found up in the hills.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:59 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,217,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Geographically speaking, California-Kirkbride is certainly part of the lower Northside. Except for the little micro-neighborhood on the hilltop around Island Avenue and Success Street (which ironically is the nicest part of the neighborhood) it's on the same largely flat plain as Manchester and the MWS. Hell, Brighton Place is literally only two blocks from Buena Vista Street.

I actually would argue that if you're going to include East Deutschtown in the Lower Northside, you should drag along the lower part of Spring Garden and Troy Hill as well. Generally these areas are more similar in terms of housing age, built form, and urbanity to the rowhousey parts of the North Side than to the rugged streetcar suburbs found up in the hills.
Sure, geographically speaking that makes sense about Cali-Kirkbride, but Brighton Road is such a big psychological barrier in those parts. Even so, exactly that part of Brighton road has several homes being rehabbed now...

As for lower Spring Garden and Troy Hill, again the walkable parts are all fixed up. Penn Brewery is usually considered Troy Hill though it's really psychologically closest to East Deutschtown. Vinial is an excellent example of a street that had several boarded up houses when I first saw it in 2013, and is all fixed up now, with just a handful of rehabs still in progress. Chestnut looks rough at first and then you realize how many buildings have permits for renovations now. The more you walk around the little side streets, the more you see that this area is going to look very different in five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh