Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 10:14 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times

Advertisements

I feel they are hills, but they are sure beautiful and steep as they get. Out west there are huge mountains, but not as steep as far as roads go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 10:27 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,543,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
but not as steep as far as roads go.
I was up there in the Slopes thinking they have to be pure hell to drive (or even walk) on in the winter.

IMG_3175 by James Fremont, on Flickr

This, too, looks like it's no fun when it's iced over.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:11 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,159 times
But at least everyone got some exercise back then by climbing those steps and hills and walking everywhere (or taking the streetcar). Our ancestors from 100 years ago would be appalled at how fat and mushy we are today.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:50 PM

13 posts, read 10,687 times
If your from the Pyrenees.. Pittsburgh has hills. Pittsburgh has Mountains, if your from Fargo.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:04 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I was up there in the Slopes thinking they have to be pure hell to drive (or even walk) on in the winter.

IMG_3175 by James Fremont, on Flickr

This, too, looks like it's no fun when it's iced over.
Great picture

Old 04-03-2018, 07:47 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,527,939 times
I lived in a few places with a "climb" involved from 89 to 94. A year on the top of the Slopes right beside the top of the German Square Steps. They descended down to 10th Street and a straight shot across the 10th St Bridge and Armstrong Tunnels into town. Did that daily for a year.

Spent a year on Grandview and used the steps from Vinecliffe St down to E. Sycamore St. I have also walked up and down McArdle but that was so much time but was easy, not to forget using the Liberty Bridge for a crossing... I preferred steps.

A few years on E. Sycamore Terrace entailed walking down the old closed part of Sycamore (down to trolley tunnel) and then crossing the tracks before hitting the portal. Then a walk across the Smithfield St Bridge.

Could say I was in shape for a few years there.

They are Mountains while climbing up yet hills when viewed from afar.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:24 AM

387 posts, read 470,639 times
All of your comments are funny & enlightening.

When you are born here, you think nothing of our 'hills' they are just a fact of life, some are just steeper than others.

When you venture out of the region, to drive over a flat area like ohio to Indiana, you may find it boring & desolate looking.
When newbies from flat places arrive, you wonder where they came from with their comments because we just don't think about it or realize just how steep/hilly/mountainous (or remants thereof) this area really is.

When I was visiting Los Angeles area walking & venturing up to Hollywood Blvd, I asked for directions & was told if I walked straight it was the closest direction, but that I had to climb a mountain & I should think of venturing a few blocks to the side to avoid that mountain street. I decided on the least distance route, & it was nothing but a short steep hill not even as steep as the upper portion of 18th street in SS Slopes. I wondered if I was actually at the top from the description of how steep the mountain hill was...

And Hollywood Hills is VERY similar to the inclines of our SS Slopes with their narrow steep streets that are more like alleyways & hard to navigate , you squeak by in compact car just like here. The only exception I see is the sheer amount of wealth concentrated in that area, & the fact that they can do it easier since they don't have winter like we do.

Call it whatever technical words you like, as a Pittsburgher, it's just 'hills' to me.

We got hollows 'n'at too...

To everyone else, outside of somewhere like Colorado, it's mountains.
Our 'city steps' are something to behold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh