Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2018, 07:25 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times

Advertisements

Reserve Township is a geographically small township located immediately to the east of the Northside of Pittsburgh (and actually to the north of Troy Hill. On its western side it is bounded by Millvale, and has small boundaries with Shaler and Ross to the north.

Reserve Township started its history much geographically larger than it is today. At one point it went west all the way to Federal Street. It's original southern border was around Lowrie Street in Troy Hill (the riverfront area was part of the now-defunct Duquense borough) Over time, the expansion of Allegheny City created many neighborhoods out of what was formerly part of Reserve, including Fineview, Spring Hill, Troy Hill, and Spring Garden. The City of Pittsburgh annexed small amounts of land in the 1920s and 1930s from Reserve as well - land which was eventually used as the site of Northview Heights. Thus the current status of Reserve - geographically small for a township (a bit over two square miles), along with its unusual shape, is because it's literally the leftover bits Pittsburgh didn't want.

Because it's not a community that grew up organically, Reserve doesn't really have any one feel, instead being comprised of individual pockets with different vibes. The streets closest to Troy Hill are outright urban. Other areas are very suburban, or even rural. The northern part of the township in particularly is very sparsely developed - in large part due to the rugged topography and unusually large number of cemeteries in the township. The south is mostly urban/streetcar suburban, but there are some amazing views of downtown from the appropriately named Pittview Avenue.

Reserve doesn't have a true business district, but there are scattered businesses along the "old urban" corridors of Mt. Troy Road and Spring Garden Avenue (which continues up past Spring Garden. Apparently Reserve has a winery now? I don't drink wine, and know nothing about this place, but it seems...interesting. Banana and tomato wine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 09:24 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
The views from the cemetery on Mt Troy Road are killer. There is also a grand old Munsters style house that I still cannot determine the correct address for. It has an odd access to it. I think it's on Pittview or Teutonia. Anyway, it overlooks Pittview. and I read an article about it a few years ago somewhere. Anyone else know the house?

Old 04-24-2018, 06:18 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
The views from the cemetery on Mt Troy Road are killer. There is also a grand old Munsters style house that I still cannot determine the correct address for. It has an odd access to it. I think it's on Pittview or Teutonia. Anyway, it overlooks Pittview. and I read an article about it a few years ago somewhere. Anyone else know the house?
This is it. https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/...8123:-79.98734

It looks as though you get there from the end of Luty Ave.

*I think I see a drive from the end of Scriba Place.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:31 PM

Is the article?

https://journals.psu.edu/wph/article/view/60491/60392

Old 04-24-2018, 11:00 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
This area is a steal due to its proximity to everything. It amazes me how cheap it is. Great location and you can live well there. You just have to put your hipster ego away because you can't tell others, "I live in the city proper!" That is what it is all about these days as it is some pecking order. I live in the city. Good for you, that you can afford it, but some can't and reserve is a great location. If you are rich and can live in the city, good for you, if you can't Reserve.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:27 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's it. Thank you! Would love to see the inside even if unrestored...

Old 04-26-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
That's it. Thank you! Would love to see the inside even if unrestored...
The guy in the photo still owns the place. He's in his 90s. I'd like to see it, too.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:51 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,026 times
Great info! Interesting blend of urban, suburban, and rural. Does this go alphabetically and perhaps Ross is next?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: