U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2018, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,344 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Pittsburgh. Love the city and have been visiting for work for over 10 years. My job will be located in Southpointe (Canonsburg). I usually stay downtown when here on business and make the commute, but living here brings different challenges. I had settled on Sewickley village or Mount Lebanon, but am having great difficultly getting a house due to inventory and competitive bidding. I like a more urban setting rather than the Canonsburg area around the office, but have 2 small/mediumish dogs which can make an urban area difficult. My only set criteria are: (1) a small grass area for the dogs to relieve themselves at night. Other times I am happy to walk them. (2) Off street covered parking. (3) If an older home, the master has to be at least big enough to fit a king bed and 2 decent sized night stands. (4) Safe neighborhood, (5) restaurant/pub/bar, something within walkable distance from home. My "wishes" are (1) doesn't need much remodeling (paint and flooring would be okay), (2) driveway not impossible to navigate due to steep incline, (3) reasonable commute (35-40 minutes) I am willing to go to 650-700k, but prefer to stay in the 575-620k area if possible. Any suggested areas that aren't Sewickley or Mount Lebanon? Thank you for any suggestions! (also, schools are not a concern)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 05:54 PM

24,381 posts, read 26,268,052 times
With your budget you can basically go where ever you want--you could probably find something decent for half that amount. Can we ask where you're coming from? I'd caution against Sewickley, mostly because there's no reason to live all the way across town from where you work when there are options that won't make your commute a haul. Honestly it sounds like Mt. Lebo is exactly what you're looking for, but others will know the South Hills better. Carnegie is kind of an up-and-coming town with a revitalized downtown (and has easy access to 79) but it might be shabbier than what you are envisioning.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:19 PM

186 posts, read 123,197 times
If you’re serious about Mt. Lebanon you need a realtor who works in a local office. Many houses here sell before they reach the market so looking online doesn’t really work. A well-connected agent is key.

Now is a great time to be in the market as many houses go on sale in the spring.

This FSBO popped up on Next Door. It’s on a great street and walking distance to Uptown.

https://www.avondrivehouse.com/

Old 04-27-2018, 07:26 AM

13,119 posts, read 13,231,130 times
In terms of a somewhat upscale semi-urban area, Uptown Mt. Lebanon is pretty much the closest option. That said, if you're open minded, there are other things to consider.

1. Though Southpointe is often called Canonsburg due to the zip code, it's not really part of the borough of Canonsburg. The borough is semi-urban, with a little walkable downtown. There's even a local brewpub now. I'm honestly surprised the borough hasn't seen more of a revival considering it's right next to Southpointe, but it's hardly dangerous, just a bit economically depressed.

2. Another option is Bridgeville, which is a bit west of Mt. Lebanon, and a straight shot down 79 to Southpointe. It has a nice little business district, albeit a bit broken up by parking lots and the like. Keep in mind if looking here a lot of South Fayette has a bridgeville zip code, so if being within walking distance of the business district is key, look at where the homes are on a map. Bridgeville is not a run down or depressed area, just normal middle class.

3. Also, you could live in Washington, which is further from the city, but pretty close to Canonsburg. Since it's the county seat and there's a small private university downtown it's got a fairly active downtown - certainly larger and more urban than any of the suburban towns between it an Pittsburgh. Lots of vacant storefronts, but also coffeeshops, restaurants, and bars. I don't know Washington well, but it's a small city, not a borough, and has some neighborhoods which are nicer than others.

4. Others mentioned Carnegie. It's actually closer to the city than Mt. Lebanon, but there's quicker access to 79, so commutes should be a bit easier. Carnegie is a bit weird because the downtown area is getting a bit more "gentrified" in terms of businesses, but there really isn't any sign of the residential areas within walking distance changing yet. There are some sweet big old houses up by Carnegie Library/Music Hall though.

Also, dunno where you're coming from, but that price range is ridiculously expensive for Pittsburgh. Like, that would buy you anything short of a mansion in virtually any neighborhood in the city or suburbs.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:34 AM

Location: Spring Church, PA (Until September 30, 2020) > Washington County, PA (Starting October 1, 2020)
3,991 posts, read 3,927,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In terms of a somewhat upscale semi-urban area, Uptown Mt. Lebanon is pretty much the closest option. That said, if you're open minded, there are other things to consider.

1. Though Southpointe is often called Canonsburg due to the zip code, it's not really part of the borough of Canonsburg. The borough is semi-urban, with a little walkable downtown. There's even a local brewpub now. I'm honestly surprised the borough hasn't seen more of a revival considering it's right next to Southpointe, but it's hardly dangerous, just a bit economically depressed.

2. Another option is Bridgeville, which is a bit west of Mt. Lebanon, and a straight shot down 79 to Southpointe. It has a nice little business district, albeit a bit broken up by parking lots and the like. Keep in mind if looking here a lot of South Fayette has a bridgeville zip code, so if being within walking distance of the business district is key, look at where the homes are on a map. Bridgeville is not a run down or depressed area, just normal middle class.

3. Also, you could live in Washington, which is further from the city, but pretty close to Canonsburg. Since it's the county seat and there's a small private university downtown it's got a fairly active downtown - certainly larger and more urban than any of the suburban towns between it an Pittsburgh. Lots of vacant storefronts, but also coffeeshops, restaurants, and bars. I don't know Washington well, but it's a small city, not a borough, and has some neighborhoods which are nicer than others.

4. Others mentioned Carnegie. It's actually closer to the city than Mt. Lebanon, but there's quicker access to 79, so commutes should be a bit easier. Carnegie is a bit weird because the downtown area is getting a bit more "gentrified" in terms of businesses, but there really isn't any sign of the residential areas within walking distance changing yet. There are some sweet big old houses up by Carnegie Library/Music Hall though.

Also, dunno where you're coming from, but that price range is ridiculously expensive for Pittsburgh. Like, that would buy you anything short of a mansion in virtually any neighborhood in the city or suburbs.
I'll give some a detailed response later, but OP do NOT consider Washington City. Honestly it's a dump, it's a tough little city at the fringe of Pittsburgh MSA

Old 04-27-2018, 08:50 AM

24,381 posts, read 26,268,052 times
Quote:
Yeah, if the OP is setting searches with $550K as the low end of the range, they're probably pricing themselves out of a lot of suitable options going for much less.

Additionally, Dormont's not upscale at all, but it might be worth a look.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:02 AM

13,119 posts, read 13,231,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yeah, if the OP is setting searches with $550K as the low end of the range, they're probably pricing themselves out of a lot of suitable options going for much less.
Yeah, it's hard to say, not knowing from where the OP is coming, but the requests are pretty reasonable, but the price would get you virtually anything (especially considering as far as I can tell they're single, and thus don't need a huge house). They could be someone who really wants upscale, or someone who's coming from Cali or something where that's not considered a lot of money at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Additionally, Dormont's not upscale at all, but it might be worth a look.
Yeah. I really like Dormont, but from a commute perspective, it's like Mt. Lebanon, only slightly worse, which is why I didn't suggest it.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:02 AM
gg

20,856 posts, read 20,079,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBurgher View Post
Any suggested areas that aren't Sewickley or Mount Lebanon? Thank you for any suggestions! (also, schools are not a concern)
With a commute to Southpointe, I think Mount Lebanon/Peters area are the better options. Sewickley is a pretty far commute, but I prefer it myself. If you could partly work from home and not have to drive 5 days a week, maybe the longer commute wouldn't be a drag.

In most neighborhoods your price range is good, other than Fox Chapel (The Borough) and Sewickley Heights (The Heights) which are more expensive, but you could get into something smaller there.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:03 PM

6,303 posts, read 7,859,757 times
Quote:

I like your suggestions of Bridgeville and Carnegie, they would offer easier access to I-79 and should then have a not too bad of a commute to the city then. I wouldn't agree with Washington, PA though, it has its issues and I would think the OP would want to be closer to the city as well.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:40 AM

5,033 posts, read 4,645,395 times
Bridgeville is a decent place to live and the school is number one. You can def get something for your money here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh