Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 08:33 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times

Advertisements

Perfect another thread that people like gg will hijack once again to begin crying over the civic arena, yet again. Get over it dude. Nobody from other countries would have come to Pittsburgh just to see the civic arena. You're playing some kind of homegrown fictional fanatasy in your head.

The building that is the REAL subject of this thread is not "a dime a dozen". As mentioned previously, ones of this age, size, and style are fairly scarce now, and more will be torn down every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 10:40 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I'm afraid the Civic Arena represented something more sinister than Industrial Era Pittsburgh. Let the era of misguided urban renewal be dead! I'd rather spill my tea over photos of the intact Lower Hill.
Guess you conveniently forgot about the people destroying everything in the Hill when MLK was murdered? Why do people want to pretend reality?

Get a grip. The Civic Arena was a great loss. That dumb building that this topic is about is meaningless really. No one cares one bit. Take it down and build something that isn't filled with asbestos and lead.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:49 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
PNobody from other countries would have come to Pittsburgh just to see the civic arena.
I take it you never attended a concert there. Believe me, these days people would have traveled far to see such an event. We blew it and that area was destroyed anyway by the black residents, just like East Liberty was toast, the Hill and Homewood. Why do people live fake lives? Goodness!

I saw John Cougar at the Civic Arena and they opened it. We were all watching the show and a breeze started to roll through the building. It was amazing when you all of a sudden realized we had a view of Pittsburgh and were now watching the concert outdoors. John Cougar stopped and said this was one of his last stops and he just couldn't believe it. He just stared at the view and enjoyed the breeze. Believe me, it was surreal.

It really is halirous to me people are up in arms over that run down dump. Oh, but the Civic Arena was nothing? How does this happen to people's brains? Do people pretend the Hill would have been something great if it wasn't for the Civic Arena? Do you know how stupid that sounds to anyone that lives in the real world? At least I can laugh about it. Really, people need to get with reality. That building needs to come down. It isn't all that great. People have too much time on their hands to worry about that dump.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:50 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Do people pretend the Hill would have been something great if it wasn't for the Civic Arena? Do you know how stupid that sounds to anyone that lives in the real world? At least I can laugh about it. Really, people need to get with reality.
It'd probably be the hottest neighborhood in the city, if it was still there. Imagine walking to downtown from your house. Pretty nifty idea, and not unheard of back in the day.

Now you have to pay $2500 for an industrial loft with views of several large parking lots where houses and urban neighborhoods used to be.

You sound kind of like the people who told me not to buy a house in Upper Lawrenceville in 2008.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:22 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
I'm totally convinced that saving the arena was the right thing to do. The stupidity of Pittsburgh government is astounding.

Yes, the arena wrongly displaced Hill residents. But two wrongs don't make a right, or whatever.. The arena was unique, one of a kind attraction that was over 50 years old and in good condition.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:59 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
John Cougar, LOL! For the younger generations here; John Cougar was what John Cougar Mellencamp went by when he first broke the big time on MTV with Jack and Diane. Sorry for the aside.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:51 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times
Quote:
I take it you never attended a concert there. Believe me, these days people would have traveled far to see such an event. We blew it and that area was destroyed anyway by the black residents, just like East Liberty was toast, the Hill and Homewood. Why do people live fake lives? Goodness!
yes people would have traveled "far" to see such an event. Like 50 or 60 miles. Not from other countries. I don't think you get out much. There are more specatular venues all over the place.

John Cougar, lol.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:17 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
I traveled 5 miles to see the Doobie Brothers back in the 80's! The roof was open that night, pretty cool having the sweet smell of the untobacco wafting around the Hill.

The Arena was cool, but outlived its usefulness, much like the Syria Mosque. Things change.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:29 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,102 times
Quote:

I saw John Cougar at the Civic Arena and they opened it. We were all watching the show and a breeze started to roll through the building. It was amazing when you all of a sudden realized we had a view of Pittsburgh and were now watching the concert outdoors. John Cougar stopped and said this was one of his last stops and he just couldn't believe it. He just stared at the view and enjoyed the breeze. Believe me, it was surreal.

It really is halirous to me people are up in arms over that run down dump. Oh, but the Civic Arena was nothing? How does this happen to people's brains? Do people pretend the Hill would have been something great if it wasn't for the Civic Arena? Do you know how stupid that sounds to anyone that lives in the real world? At least I can laugh about it. Really, people need to get with reality. That building needs to come down. It isn't all that great. People have too much time on their hands to worry about that dump.
The Civic Arena was considered to have bad acoustics so it was not a good venue for concerts.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:22 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
I saw lots of concerts at the Civic Arena: the Stones, the Who, Rod Stewart, James Taylor, Jethro Tull. I thought it was a shame they tore it down, mainly because it was one of the few buildings we had that were uniquely Pittsburgh. I like the building this thread is about, too, though, and would not want it to be torn down, especially if it's just to put up another charcoal-gray-orange Walnut Capital Special. That's some ugly stuff, and I say that as someone who loves modern architecture. I hate the cheap crap they're throwing up in the name of modern.

Oh, and seeing a concert at the Arena wasn't about the acoustics. Rock concerts generally aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh