U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 02:11 PM

38,316 posts, read 14,858,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Who goes first? JayHay or Mercer?
Likely Mercer due to him being a FA and walking after the season as I can’t see them signing him. Only issue is, does anyone want him? I really can’t see him being worth anything in a trade.

I’m sure they’d love to dump JHay and Cervelli’s contracts, too...but there might be a lynch mob should both happen.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 02:15 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,150,220 times
Nutting should just hire Little Leaguers. He wouldn't even have to pay them.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:01 PM

6,329 posts, read 8,628,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSantoRules View Post
By June 13th, we should have a better sense of what type of team this really is. Pirates have played the 9th easiest schedule to date.
Well, here we are on June 11th and them now one game below .500

Old 06-11-2018, 08:41 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,704,352 times
Pirates have a really nice ballpark. Even thou the team is horrible if you like baseball it is a good deal to see a game. Cheap prices is one of the reasons I went to Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati about 5-10 times a year when I lived in Cincinnati. Cincinnati and Atlanta both have trouble drawing fans to the ballpark for some reason, Pirates could as well.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:48 AM

977 posts, read 511,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
They are still amazingly close to .500 and we're almost at all star break.
I see your smiley face, so I am pretty sure YOU are tongue-in-cheek with that post, but there are people who would see going .500 for a season as some type of accomplishment. What difference does .500 make, especially since they've broken that 20-year sub-.500 streak? A .500 record will NOT get a team into the playoffs, and therefore not give them a shot at winning a championship. Last I checked, that's the purpose of playing, isn't it? Winning divisions, making the playoffs and winning World Series are all real accomplishments. Going .500 is not a real accomplishment.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:05 AM

38,316 posts, read 14,858,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
I see your smiley face, so I am pretty sure YOU are tongue-in-cheek with that post, but there are people who would see going .500 for a season as some type of accomplishment. What difference does .500 make, especially since they've broken that 20-year sub-.500 streak? A .500 record will NOT get a team into the playoffs, and therefore not give them a shot at winning a championship. Last I checked, that's the purpose of playing, isn't it? Winning divisions, making the playoffs and winning World Series are all real accomplishments. Going .500 is not a real accomplishment.
Standards are so low for this team that .500 and/or a winning season is seen as a big accomplishment by many fans.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:00 PM

684 posts, read 370,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Standards are so low for this team that .500 and/or a winning season is seen as a big accomplishment by many fans.
Not a baseball fan, but mediocrity is the death-knell for sports teams. No incentive to change or high draft picks, and no glory. You end up being stuck in the middle forever.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:01 PM

977 posts, read 511,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
Not a baseball fan, but mediocrity is the death-knell for sports teams. No incentive to change or high draft picks, and no glory. You end up being stuck in the middle forever.
Agreed. A big part of the reason that they did have those three wild card years from 2013-15 was the fact that they finished at or near the bottom of the standings for several seasons in the five or so years before those good years. Those seasons netted them draft picks like Walker, McCutchen, Cole, etc. that ended up forming the nucleus of those playoff teams. If they continually finish near .500, maybe a little over or maybe a bit under, they will not get those high draft picks. Maybe they can rebuild with middle draft picks; the MLB draft is notoriously a crap shoot. It would make the rebuild much easier, though, if they would just blow it all up and start over, finishing near the bottom a few times.

I personally don't WANT to see that, but I certainly understand the benefit. It worked before for the Pirates. It could work again. That's why I really didn't have a problem with trading McCutchen and Cole prior to this year. They determined, probably correctly, that even with those players this team is not a contender. Once you've determined that you're not a contender, then it makes sense to get younger guys in and developing, even if that means you won't win as many games. I think the Bucs got off to a start that was WAY beyond what the talent level of this team would dictate, and that got many fans excited. That's the reason for the disappointment with their current level of play. The current level, though, not the hot start is the real team. I truly don't have a problem with that.

What I do have a problem with was the way that they tore apart the 2015 team that won 98 games. You are a contender after a 98 win season; they had no business tearing that team apart. Obviously there's nothing they can do about it now, but it does make me pessimistic, to say the least, that this management will do what it takes to keep a good team together even if they manage to develop one over the next 3-5 years.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:17 PM

12,435 posts, read 16,510,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post

What I do have a problem with was the way that they tore apart the 2015 team that won 98 games. You are a contender after a 98 win season; they had no business tearing that team apart. Obviously there's nothing they can do about it now, but it does make me pessimistic, to say the least, that this management will do what it takes to keep a good team together even if they manage to develop one over the next 3-5 years.

They were one arm or one big bat away from improving that 98 win team. So what did they do, tore it apart, made no off season moves, and went to 78 wins. But, at least Mr. Nutting made a profit, which is all he wants. I had no problem with them trading Cutch and Cole, it was the dismantling of the 2015 team that did it for me.

And I think a lot of baseball fans like myself are fed up and staying away. The attendance figures bear that out.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:48 PM

3,192 posts, read 1,934,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
They were one arm or one big bat away from improving that 98 win team. So what did they do, tore it apart, made no off season moves, and went to 78 wins. But, at least Mr. Nutting made a profit, which is all he wants. I had no problem with them trading Cutch and Cole, it was the dismantling of the 2015 team that did it for me.

And I think a lot of baseball fans like myself are fed up and staying away. The attendance figures bear that out.
Good points. Agree totally. Though Cole is raking now, Cutch not doing much. Cole 124 K's in 87 innings so far. nobody saw that coming. That's off the charts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh