Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 03:24 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850_branded View Post
I used to work back there on Babcock Blvd when I there (oh, the memories of the two-buses-plus-a-20-minute-walk commute each way...but those were fond times), meaning either the Ross Park Mall food court or the Sunoco up on the corner of Babcock and Siebert was my lunchbreak destination.

I only bring this up because prior to me taking that job up there (at what used to be Print Tech--it's since moved), I had no reason to know anything about that side of town (i stayed down in what was known as "Green Ghettos" at the time). But a friend of mine lived up in Perrysville and used to always mention to me about "McFright Road", and I used to always get a good chuckle out of that--until I got up there and saw it for myself. Then it began to make some sense.

Fun times...
I hear it referred to as Mc-nightmare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 09:24 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
Every time I'm stuck on McKnight Road looking at the high-tension wires and cinder block strip plazas, I think back to a picture I saw when it opened in the 1930s. It was built as a limited-access highway to get people from Pittsburgh to North Park. It must have been scenic, with trees and hills on both sides all the way out from Babcock to the park. Now, not so much.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:31 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Every time I'm stuck on McKnight Road looking at the high-tension wires and cinder block strip plazas, I think back to a picture I saw when it opened in the 1930s. It was built as a limited-access highway to get people from Pittsburgh to North Park. It must have been scenic, with trees and hills on both sides all the way out from Babcock to the park. Now, not so much.
where do you get stuck on McKnight? it moves pretty fast unless your are stuck in holiday mall traffic.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
where do you get stuck on McKnight? it moves pretty fast unless your are stuck in holiday mall traffic.
There are certain spots where you get stuck waiting to turn onto McKnight. The Babcock/McKnight intersection is the worst.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Also, the general decline of brick-and-mortar retail provides a challenge to the local tax base.
Has this affected the businesses on McKnight Rd? Are they not doing as well as a decade ago? It's hard to imagine that they'd be immune but they seem to be doing great.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:12 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Anytime I make it all the way from the 279 off ramp to North Park WITHOUT hitting a red light:

WooHoo!!!

When we get to the Ross Park mall and haven't stopped yet my wife knows to keep quiet and don't mention it. It's like not talking to the pitcher in the 7th inning throwing a no hitter.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:30 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Has this affected the businesses on McKnight Rd? Are they not doing as well as a decade ago? It's hard to imagine that they'd be immune but they seem to be doing great.
Block Northway notably has had significant troubles in recent years, but I think it's doing a bit better now.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Block Northway notably has had significant troubles in recent years, but I think it's doing a bit better now.
Yeah it's not an indoor mall now. Just a strip mall. It seems to be doing well. The PetSmart is really busy.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:53 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Yeah it's not an indoor mall now. Just a strip mall. It seems to be doing well. The PetSmart is really busy.
It’s landing a lot of newer/trendier chains.

-Wahlburgers
-The Container Store
-CoreLife Eatery
-Nordstrom Rack
-ULTA
-Saks: Off 5th

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 05-18-2018 at 05:13 PM..

Old 05-19-2018, 10:01 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
I was just there and it was pretty dead overall, BUT there are a ton of new tenants signs in the windows and I suspect it is going to do very well shortly. I even noticed a Dave and Buster's sign! I ate at Walburger's and it was pretty good for that price point. It is very reasonable. I don't recommend the onion rings as they are all breading and no onion, but the burger was pretty good for the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh