Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 10:24 AM

527 posts, read 320,004 times

Advertisements

Agreed. It's conflating. It's also a straw man or at "best" information being filtered through a bias where one reads a comment about the positive nature of say, Google jobs and how that is good the city and then reads it as "Google is coming and the boom is right behind it!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 10:26 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
IIRC from the late 2000s, most of the speculation about population growth returning was because the Great Recession was much, much weaker here, and the recovery quicker, which led some to believe we returned to growth. We probably did, but the growth in the late 2000s wasn't enough to make up for the steep decline in the early 2000s.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
The problem is you're conflating people on city data getting excited because a company is opening an office in Pittsburgh to tap into a great resource (CMU) with people on city data claiming that Google is going to bring back all the jobs lost through the collapse of steel. The only thing that Google has to do with population/workforce is retaining CMU grads to work and live in the city.
Never said that.

With Yac's forbearance, one (1) post from those glory days 10 years ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
This confirms what the demographers have been saying: we're reaching the tipping point where the young people exodus of 25 years ago caused a decline in the birthrate. As more young people arrive to fill the jobs of people who are older, the birth rate will increase, and population increase should follow. That's a pretty simple explanation, but that's as far as my knowledge goes. I'm sure someone else on this board has better details.
None of that has happened. The birthrate, nationwide, has decreased. Pennsylvania's birthrate is in the lower 20%.
Birth rates keep falling for U.S. women
https://247wallst.com/special-report...most-babies/2/

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-01-2018 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: 10 years ago, not 8

Old 06-01-2018, 02:44 PM

716 posts, read 765,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Never said that.

With Yac's forbearance, one (1) post from those glory days 10 years ago:

None of that has happened. The birthrate, nationwide, has decreased. Pennsylvania's birthrate is in the lower 20%.
Birth rates keep falling for U.S. women
https://247wallst.com/special-report...most-babies/2/
I know you didn't say that; I would've quoted it. I was drawing extremes in the same way I feel you are.

You shared someone's opinion of which I'm sure there are many and I can't speak for that poster but I doubt they, or anyone sensible, believe that a single company moving here (Google) would reverse decades of hardship on the city. That's all I'm trying to say. It's OK to have been excited that a company opened an office here promising to, in some small part, reverse the mass exodous of college graduates by tapping in to our universities. I do not see what Google has to do with the population of Pittsburgh at all except for a very very slight change documented in age demographics.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I know you didn't say that; I would've quoted it. I was drawing extremes in the same way I feel you are.

You shared someone's opinion of which I'm sure there are many and I can't speak for that poster but I doubt they, or anyone sensible, believe that a single company moving here (Google) would reverse decades of hardship on the city. That's all I'm trying to say. It's OK to have been excited that a company opened an office here promising to, in some small part, reverse the mass exodous of college graduates by tapping in to our universities. I do not see what Google has to do with the population of Pittsburgh at all except for a very very slight change documented in age demographics.
I don't think anyone said that. However, there were some very unrealistic expectations about what Google opening an office in Pittsburgh portended for the city.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone said that. However, there were some very unrealistic expectations about what Google opening an office in Pittsburgh portended for the city.
And that's fine as your opinion as someone who reads, analyzes, and quotes a very specific message board. I'm saying that in general I didn't see that or notice that at all, even in local media. The most I noticed was a positive spin about retaining younger talent that usually is bled out because previously there were very few outlets for it.

FWIW I'm sure I could also find some unrealistic opinions if I were to ask around that would insist that the population is about to tank because the rapture approacheth. We can pick and choose all we want but it doesn't mean it's a valid or even a mainstream opinion.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
And that's fine as your opinion as someone who reads, analyzes, and quotes a very specific message board. I'm saying that in general I didn't see that or notice that at all, even in local media. The most I noticed was a positive spin about retaining younger talent that usually is bled out because previously there were very few outlets for it.

FWIW I'm sure I could also find some unrealistic opinions if I were to ask around that would insist that the population is about to tank because the rapture approacheth. We can pick and choose all we want but it doesn't mean it's a valid or even a mainstream opinion.
How clever! There have been predictions on this board, from people who live in Pittsburgh and love to tell those of us who live elsewhere, including the Pittsburgh suburbs, that Pittsburgh is going to turn the corner on population loss any day now. As soon as the 2010 census numbers came out, someone posted "Wait till 2020. It's happening; it just hadn't shown up yet when the census was done". Some day, if I'm confined to bed or something and have nothing else to do, I'll post a quote from every year since I've been on CD (2007).

Old 06-01-2018, 05:52 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,573 times
Quote:
How clever! There have been predictions on this board, from people who live in Pittsburgh and love to tell those of us who live elsewhere, including the Pittsburgh suburbs, that Pittsburgh is going to turn the corner on population loss any day now. As soon as the 2010 census numbers came out, someone posted "Wait till 2020. It's happening; it just hadn't shown up yet when the census was done". Some day, if I'm confined to bed or something and have nothing else to do, I'll post a quote from every year since I've been on CD (2007).
Why? Is anyone denying that every year some people make bad population predictions?

Old 06-02-2018, 06:48 AM

527 posts, read 320,004 times
There were not unrealistic expectations. The same excitement existed that it would have for most cities including cities with consistent population increases. Again, to say that the city was stating that Google itself was changing things over night is ridiculous and a straw man.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
In all seriousness, why is this such a big deal for you? Every time the P-word comes up on this board you're drawn to it like a fly to a turd, which is exactly what this conversation is. Who really cares what bad predictions random people on an internet message board make?

Anyway for your future enjoyment, here's a prediction for your quoting pleasure during your future bedrest: By the 2030 census, Pittsburgh has been overtaken by a killer virus strain developed by mistake in a UPMC research lab. Because of a combination of disease and Google's lack of job creation here, a mass exodus occurs and everyone moves to Colorado to escape for the clean mountain air and delicious weed edibles. The population of Pittsburgh will have plummeted to a mere 1,500 yinzers who refuse to move. Yet, despite the desolate emptiness of the city, at least a quarter of the 1,500 still reserve their parking spot directly in front of their houses with a stolen traffic cone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh