Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 08:17 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPittsburgh View Post
I’m kind of in between moving somewhere more centrally located (bloomfield, Shadyside, South side) or finding a close surrounding suburb that would be a bit further away but also cheaper (sewickley, Bellevue.) I mean everything is far more affordable than New York, where I’m moving from.

I guess the answer is I’m looking for a perfect balance of proximity to downtown, affordability, and a safe clean neighborhood.

It really just depends on your commute and your desire to live in suburbs vs. city. Do you have a strong preference? If you're worried about commute, and are used to city then the East End might be better for you. or even consider living downtown, it has a lot of pretty good options now that are likely within your price range.

Just FYI, there are also some city like neighborhoods in the south that have light rail access to downtown, Mt. Lebanon is probably the most popular. Probably roughly a 30 min. commute via rail to downtown.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 05:45 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Sewickleymis fantastic, but I would not live there without a car. You can get most things you need on foot, but transit in and out of Sewickley isn’t the best.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:03 PM

219 posts, read 157,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPittsburgh View Post
I’m kind of in between moving somewhere more centrally located (bloomfield, Shadyside, South side) or finding a close surrounding suburb that would be a bit further away but also cheaper (sewickley, Bellevue.) I mean everything is far more affordable than New York, where I’m moving from.

I guess the answer is I’m looking for a perfect balance of proximity to downtown, affordability, and a safe clean neighborhood.
Bellevue (and its next-door neighbor, Avalon) would check more of your preferred boxes than Sewickley. Sewickley is lovely and, if I were raising a family or had enough bank to pay those Quaker Valley School District taxes, would be a top three choice of areas in which I'd love to live. That being said and without knowing just how much you'll be making in your new job, affordability and an easy commute via bus aren't exactly that town's strong suits.

Bellevue is definitely a working-to-middle-class area, but it has a nice range of properties for rent with three different bus lines running through it during the week. I work downtown;I don't even bother looking at a bus schedule as a bus arrives at a stop near my house every eight to ten minutes. The ride takes about twenty to twenty-five minutes depending up which bus I take, the time of day, and whether or not Pittsburgh Public Schools is in session. I drive on the weekends; it generally takes me about ten to fifteen minutes from my garage to the parking garage depending on my chosen route.

Most of a person's basic needs can be met within walking distance. (Grocery, hardware store, drug store, etc.) As an added bonus, a new brewery is getting ready to open on Lincoln Avenue; a former funeral home is currently under renovation to become an upscale restaurant. If and when you decide to get a vehicle, finding parking is rarely an issue. Most of the apartment complexes have parking lots for residents.

As far as safety: I've lived in this area as both a renter and as a homeowner and have several colleagues who also live here. Outside of the occasional car break in and the drug problems that are seemingly everywhere these days (this is more obvious in Bellevue than Avalon as there's an outpatient treatment center on Lincoln), it's rare than anything more serious happens in terms of crime. People are out walking dogs at all hours of the day and night.

If you do choose to live in the city as opposed to a suburb or neighboring small town, I'd vote for Bloomfield. It's not as pretty as Shadyside and isn't party central like the South Side, but it's a great, affordable neighborhood, has easy access via public transit to Downtown and, if you're feeling energetic, it's an easy bike ride to the city center, too.

FYI: Also note that the City of Pittsburgh wage tax is double that of many of its neighboring boroughs (Three percent versus one and half percent, in the case of Bellevue.)

Old 05-28-2018, 06:18 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,130,084 times
Agree though Bellevue is a little more walkable than Avalon in my opinion. There are alot of rentals in Bellevue so should find many options and there is a grocery store right on main street with about anything you'd need. My brother rented there for a while and my mom has lived there for several years, soon to be listing her home as she needs a single level.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:52 PM

20 posts, read 17,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Years in the Burgh View Post
Bellevue (and its next-door neighbor, Avalon) would check more of your preferred boxes than Sewickley. Sewickley is lovely and, if I were raising a family or had enough bank to pay those Quaker Valley School District taxes, would be a top three choice of areas in which I'd love to live. That being said and without knowing just how much you'll be making in your new job, affordability and an easy commute via bus aren't exactly that town's strong suits.

Bellevue is definitely a working-to-middle-class area, but it has a nice range of properties for rent with three different bus lines running through it during the week. I work downtown;I don't even bother looking at a bus schedule as a bus arrives at a stop near my house every eight to ten minutes. The ride takes about twenty to twenty-five minutes depending up which bus I take, the time of day, and whether or not Pittsburgh Public Schools is in session. I drive on the weekends; it generally takes me about ten to fifteen minutes from my garage to the parking garage depending on my chosen route.

Most of a person's basic needs can be met within walking distance. (Grocery, hardware store, drug store, etc.) As an added bonus, a new brewery is getting ready to open on Lincoln Avenue; a former funeral home is currently under renovation to become an upscale restaurant. If and when you decide to get a vehicle, finding parking is rarely an issue. Most of the apartment complexes have parking lots for residents.

As far as safety: I've lived in this area as both a renter and as a homeowner and have several colleagues who also live here. Outside of the occasional car break in and the drug problems that are seemingly everywhere these days (this is more obvious in Bellevue than Avalon as there's an outpatient treatment center on Lincoln), it's rare than anything more serious happens in terms of crime. People are out walking dogs at all hours of the day and night.

If you do choose to live in the city as opposed to a suburb or neighboring small town, I'd vote for Bloomfield. It's not as pretty as Shadyside and isn't party central like the South Side, but it's a great, affordable neighborhood, has easy access via public transit to Downtown and, if you're feeling energetic, it's an easy bike ride to the city center, too.

FYI: Also note that the City of Pittsburgh wage tax is double that of many of its neighboring boroughs (Three percent versus one and half percent, in the case of Bellevue.)
Sincerely, thank you. I think you read my mind as far as evaluating where to move. Bloomfield has been my #1 option for awhile. Bellevue would be a solid choice for me as a suburb that’s fairly close to the city. For a an out of towner that’s new to the city, I think living closer downtown would be a wiser option for the first year. Once I get accommodated to the area I can start to look for a place a little further out to settle.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:27 PM

80 posts, read 84,180 times
I don’t know much about Sewickley, except for it’s reputation of being a neighborhood for incredibly wealthy Pittsburghers. It’s one of the wealthiest towns in Pittsburgh. It is very clean and attractive;however, it wouldn’t be a place I would consider if I worked downtown and wanted to take public transit. If you want that upscale vibe, Mount Lebanon is very nice and an easy commute to Downtown. Dormont is also a decent neighborhood to consider with a straight shot to downtown in 22-25 minutes on the T. That’s basically the same commute you’d have from East End city neighborhoods like Bloomfield/Lawrenceville. I personally find the T to be more reliable. I’ve been using PAT for over a decade and previously lived in the East End. There’s many times when buses don’t show or end up being 15 minutes late. That rarely happens with the T. It’s much more efficient. Dormont is not a upper class neighborhood, but has all the amenities. I’m biased though because its my neighborhood, so keep that in mind.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:01 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjy3 View Post
I don’t know much about Sewickley, except for it’s reputation of being a neighborhood for incredibly wealthy Pittsburghers. It’s one of the wealthiest towns in Pittsburgh. It is very clean and attractive;however, it wouldn’t be a place I would consider if I worked downtown and wanted to take public transit. If you want that upscale vibe, Mount Lebanon is very nice and an easy commute to Downtown. Dormont is also a decent neighborhood to consider with a straight shot to downtown in 22-25 minutes on the T. That’s basically the same commute you’d have from East End city neighborhoods like Bloomfield/Lawrenceville. I personally find the T to be more reliable. I’ve been using PAT for over a decade and previously lived in the East End. There’s many times when buses don’t show or end up being 15 minutes late. That rarely happens with the T. It’s much more efficient. Dormont is not a upper class neighborhood, but has all the amenities. I’m biased though because its my neighborhood, so keep that in mind.
I think Sewickley gets confused with Sewickley Heights. Sewickley has affordable housing all over the place. It isn't just wealthy at all. Heck there is a 2 bedroom for $650 a month listed and several for under $1,000 a month. I wouldn't call that "wealthy" living.

The nice thing about Sewickley is there is money there and that means they can keep the place well kept and very nice. It is a great affordable option if you want to live in a really nice low crime community. I wish it was closer to my work. I would LOVE to live there!!!!

Old 05-29-2018, 07:20 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,310,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think Sewickley gets confused with Sewickley Heights. Sewickley has affordable housing all over the place. It isn't just wealthy at all. Heck there is a 2 bedroom for $650 a month listed and several for under $1,000 a month. I wouldn't call that "wealthy" living.

The nice thing about Sewickley is there is money there and that means they can keep the place well kept and very nice. It is a great affordable option if you want to live in a really nice low crime community. I wish it was closer to my work. I would LOVE to live there!!!!
Is that definitely Sewickley as opposed to just a Sewickley address? I think the three official parts of Sewickley are Sewickley Village, Sewickley Heights, and Sewickley Hills. But many other places have the 15143 zip code and Sewickley address.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:28 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Is that definitely Sewickley as opposed to just a Sewickley address? I think the three official parts of Sewickley are Sewickley Village, Sewickley Heights, and Sewickley Hills. But many other places have the 15143 zip code and Sewickley address.
That is right on Walnut Street downtown. There are 4 others that Zillow has but believe me there are plenty under $1,000 that aren't public listings. There is one on Beaver Street right down there for $850. You would need to walk around down there to really find more as many will be word of mouth for obvious reasons.

I wish I wasn't thinking about Sewickley so much. I would love living downtown there and just walk around that wonderful town with all that good food! Parties everywhere bonfires up in the Heights. It really is a gem of an area. The only nice shopping I have is in the East End, which is close, but lots of riffraff you have to deal with there. Sewickley is far enough away from everything. Geez, I hate the Water Works where I am. That plot of land could have been an amazing spot, but it is a strip mall of garbage. I envy Sewickley, but too far away for me. Uggh!!!

Edit: I just looked at homes in walking distance to Walnut/Broad area and there are 7 homes under 300K and 11 under $400K. Sewickley is cheap compared to Lawrenceville. lol

Last edited by gg; 05-29-2018 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-29-2018, 11:24 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,130,084 times
Sewickley gets a bad wrap on being expensive. Yes the homes there are not cheap by any means but most of the super expensive homes are hidden away, people just know that's where the athletes live. In my opinion you get way more there than other similar priced areas but really depends on if you want an urban feel or rural. The prices of some areas east of the city exceed Sewickley (in term of the average home) but Sewickley you get great old homes with a charming small town feel. We live over in Ben Avon area and I also feel it is crazy that you can get amazing remodeled old homes with real character here still cheap and it's a sought after SD. The average homes are less than new construction even with builder grade. The thing Sewickley has is that downtown area which Ben Avon has pretty much none. I like old and more rural settings so the fact that its not hard to find a nice sized home with a yard for under $300k (often low $200k) amazes me more people are not trying to get west of the city. I do agree, if I had a little more $ I'd look into moving up the river to Sewickley because of that downtown area (plus they have a GE right there too nearby)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh