U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:06 AM

269 posts, read 702,280 times
Default Pennsylvania / Pittsburgh teacher salaries

Wonder why we have high taxes? Kindergarten teachers making $88K per year plus obscene pension and benefits (and summers off)

PA Teachers Search

You would think with these salaries, we could at least catch up with the rest of the world and do year round schooling. Much better than letting the kids roam the streets for 3 months a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 10:13 AM

745 posts, read 1,449,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by right-here-i-say View Post
Wonder why we have high taxes? Kindergarten teachers making $88K per year plus obscene pension and benefits (and summers off)

PA Teachers Search

You would think with these salaries, we could at least catch up with the rest of the world and do year round schooling. Much better than letting the kids roam the streets for 3 months a year.
Roam The streets? I had summer jobs throughout high school!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:48 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,198,809 times
Hmmm. When I searched for Kindergarten teachers in the Pittsburgh School District, the highest salary I found was $78,400, and that person had 27 years of service, 24 in the district, and had a Master's degree.

That doesn't strike me as outlandish.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:05 AM

2,902 posts, read 6,899,103 times
Quote:
Omg you just ruined my weekend.

LOL.

Outrageous.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Hmmm. When I searched for Kindergarten teachers in the Pittsburgh School District, the highest salary I found was $78,400, and that person had 27 years of service, 24 in the district, and had a Master's degree.

That doesn't strike me as outlandish.
Well, you can check outside the Pittsburgh school district and see higher. But let's play with $78K (plus roughly $31K for benefits, probably more) for teaching Kindergarten 9 months a year in a Pittsburgh City School and having every single known holiday off.

I do not care how many degrees or how many years you have tought. That is probably double the average family income in the town. It is absurd, and the pension for life they get (probably $40K per year for life and free benefits) is equally absurd.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:08 PM

I'd actually be interested to see what the average salary for a professional with a Master's degree and 27 years of experience in their field might be. I'm guessing it is pretty high.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I'd actually be interested to see what the average salary for a professional with a Master's degree and 27 years of experience in their field might be. I'm guessing it is pretty high.
I predict it is not as high. Not only that, I predict they have to work a full year. Not only that, I predict they don't get half of their salary for life and incredible benefits...

That is, unless they happen to work for Allegheny County.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I predict it is not as high.
Well, I just went to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and I found out the median annual salary for someone with an advanced degree in 2007 was $64272, and that includes all people over 25 years old. Add in seniority, and that top end salary we found doesn't seem high to me. Indeed, also from the BLS, the mean salary for Kindergarten teachers in the Pittsburgh Metropolitan Area was $53,220. Of course not all of them have Master's degrees, but still that seems in line (in fact low) for people with similar educational attainment.

By the way, it appears Kindergarten teachers had a slightly higher mean salary than Elementary and Middle School teachers, who in turn had higher mean salaries than High School teachers. I am not sure if that is intentional, or just a function of something like seniority effects.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Well, I just went to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and I found out the median annual salary for someone with an advanced degree in 2007 was $64272, and that includes all people over 25 years old. Add in seniority, and that top end salary we found doesn't seem high to me. Indeed, also from the BLS, the mean salary for Kindergarten teachers in the Pittsburgh Metropolitan Area was $53,220. Of course not all of them have Master's degrees, but still that seems in line (in fact low) for people with similar educational attainment.
Keep in mind those stats include executives making millions of dollars per year. Also keep in mind those stats include cities like New York and California. And the average is still only $64K.

You have to keep in mind that many of these school districts have family incomes of $25 to $30K per year.

And yes, these families have to work 12 months per year. And do not get a great pension/benefits for life....

Old 03-28-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind those stats include executives making millions of dollars per year. Also keep in mind those stats include cities like New York and California. And the average is still only $64K.
And the stats include people who got a degree but ended up not working that field, and people in rural areas, and so on.

Quote:
You have to keep in mind that many of these school districts have family incomes of $25 to $30K per year.
Sure, but their doctors and lawyers and so on are also getting paid more than they are. Educated professionals get paid more than average, and teachers are educated professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh