Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 07:19 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRSpooner View Post
My take on it:

If the officer had been black and the young man white = no protesting. No disruption of traffic. No innocent people getting hassled for something a rookie cop did outside of the city of Pittsburgh limits.
Bingo

Old 06-23-2018, 07:32 AM

94 posts, read 78,852 times
These protesters see the situation as being cut and dry... "He was running away and the cop shot him " It's much more complex and fluid than that.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:43 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRSpooner View Post
My take on it:

If the officer had been black and the young man white = no protesting. No disruption of traffic. No innocent people getting hassled for something a rookie cop did outside of the city of Pittsburgh limits.
This is such an uninformed position. Do you remember the unrest after police killed unarmed men in Charlotte, Milwaukee and Baltimore? Black officers. Your take is either completely ignorant or utterly racist.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:33 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This is such an uninformed position. Do you remember the unrest after police killed unarmed men in Charlotte, Milwaukee and Baltimore? Black officers. Your take is either completely ignorant or utterly racist.
I think if the kid was white, there wouldn’t be protests either. Anger, yes, but there would be an assumption that the officer would be held accountable. For black men shot by police, the assumption has become that they will get no justice and the system won’t punish police that violate them. There are so many examples where that’s the case that it’s hard to argue against the anger it generates.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:40 AM

755 posts, read 472,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Waver View Post
Most of these protesters are relatively young. They want change. Well, as a middle age man, I want change too. I want these black youths to give up the guns and stop killing each other. The protests should be against violence, not cops.

guns and stop killing each other.

the guns
Great point. Isn't this the nexus where our political leaders should be standing and LEADING? Have they been completely scared off the issue by lobbys/special interest groups?

It's not a gun problem. It is a violence problem. I recall a study showing a number of countries with high gun ownership rates having a tiny percentage of the rate of gun violence of the US (Switzerland, Norway, Canada). The easy availibility of firearms makes matters worse. However, at its core this is a social issue and good public policy should be debated and made to address it.

When people living in low crime areas realize what a detriment to everyone this violence has become, maybe they will demand some action on the political front. County commissioners should be leading on this. But pressure has to be applied by the public.

Per capita gun ownership:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/m...the-most-guns/

Old 06-23-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post

Let's talk about two incidents that happened within a handful of blocks of each other.

1. The beating of a white man by Pittsburgh Police outside of PPG Paints Arena. No protests, although obviously an incident of police brutality.

2. The absolute conniption this city had when an Arab pizza shop manager physically and violently ejected a black woman from Pizza Milano. That incident got a heck of a lot more attention than when a white man got beat by the cops.

Its a racial double standard. For all of the "privilege" that whites have, we don't have the ultimate privilege - the race card.
You mean the incident where a drunk man interfered with the arrest of another man, and the police beat him? I seem to remember the mayor apologizing and police taking immediate action to discipline the officers. I remember the FBI investigating whether the man’s civil rights were violated. I also remember black activists and black websites sharing the story and video to shed light on police malfeasance. What I don’t remember is black people saying he deserved the beating for interfering with an arrest.

https://www.theroot.com/penn-cop-cau...lle-1818651729

https://www.wpxi.com/news/investigat...rena/612038029

Old 06-23-2018, 10:56 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,430 times
Quote:
No, KDKA Is reporting that a source tells them there is video evidence of Antwon firing the gun. The police, however, deny this claim.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018...driveby-video/

Again, none of this is relevant, because at the time of his death, he was unarmed and running away.

Again you need to read PA law. He was in a car which was at the scene of a violent drive by shooting. There is no way the police would know if he was armed. He was clearly a threat and the police action fit the definition in PA law. The law is not what you want it to be.

Most people would feel at risk if someone who was just involved in a drive by shooting was running loose in their neighborhood.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
He was involved in a violent felony minutes before. He ran from police instead of cooperating. This police action fits well within PA law.
That’s not how this works. First and foremost, we do not know that he was involved in a violent felony. If it turns out that he was, that doesn’t change the fact there was no proof that he had been involved in a violent felony at the time of his execution. Furthermore the law is absurd, unjust, and possibly unconstitutional.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:58 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,430 times
Quote:
As an attorney, you should be above presuming the suspect’s guilt and appalled by his extrajudicial execution. Regardless of which crime this young man may or may not have committed, he was unarmed and fleeing when he was shot three times in the back.

You keep using the term "extrajudicial" when this police action precisely fits the definition of appropriate use of force stated in PA law

Old 06-23-2018, 10:59 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
I’m anti-extrajudicial execution, and I demand accountability from state actors. I don’t know why that is so difficult for you to understand.
He was involved in a shooting. He knew what he was doing was wrong. He had no regard for someone else’s life and he suffered the consequences for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh