Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 02:47 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times

Advertisements

As always, I realize this is an emotional topic, but if you all could approach this rationally instead of throwing accusations around, would be great. Also if you would ignore obvious trolls, as I've a feeling one might come back, it would be awesome.
Carry on.
Yac.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:38 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
As a follow up, since the troll came back: coming here only to call other members names, that's not ok. Expressing your anger is not a problem, as long as it's directed at the source, not used to randomly attacks anyone who dares not to share it. Yes, even if the anger is justified, even if there is a valid reason.
People are different, some are idiots, some have idiotic opinions. And it's ok, as long as they don't act on them. You start telling people what they can/can not think ? You're heading straight into an orwellian dystopia, where there is the "correct way" of thinking, and anyone having a different opinion is the enemy. Where facts are completely irrelevant and opinions and feelings rule. You're basically going back to the middle ages, before people came up with the scientific method. You change your fight from a factual one into a religious one.
Now why people feel like embracing totalitarian methods to fight this supposed totalitarianism, I've no idea. How they figured it would be ok to throw the nastiest labels around, especially against people that only had an opinion different from them, I don't know. Suddenly everybody who disagrees is hitler.. I wonder what kind of words you'll be left with if or when real hitler comes around ? Also, do you think a world where only one point of view is "good" will be a better place ?
Calm down, stop adding insult to injury, stop attacking other members.
Yac.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:42 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,166 times
The tilt here has certainly suggested that many here feel Antwon was a continuing threat, something I strongly disagree with. There is no reason to assume this was a random killing spree he was involved with and that it would continue beyond what had already occcurred. I feel the evidence coming to light will show the failure of the officer to properly gauge the situation and instead of de-escalating and calling for support, he made the executive decision to take Antwon’s life because he felt he had the authority to and judged Antwon guilty and therefore deserving execution. No other facts have been presented to show otherwise and if they existed I feel like the department would have issued them already. If the only additional evidence they have is against the car and the drive by, that doesn’t remove the officers culpability.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:25 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
Grant St is shut down by protesters. https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...urgh/773155104

State Police helicopter has been circling very low over Uptown and Downtown this morning.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:29 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
We still have many unanswered questions and a reluctance of the police and the media to bring the facts of the case to the citizens. We haven't heard anything about the other man who was shot or why. We haven't heard anything about the other passenger who is still apparently at large and being searched for. Antwon had to have known him and if they were passengers that hired that jitney they should know who it was. They haven't offered up any statements indicating what they think happened, if Antwon was just a bystander( highly unlikely) or if he participated in the shooting of the other man.
The media has done just a craptastic job on this and you'd think the local news would have kept the story focused on what really happened. Nope. And the police haven't done anything to help keep the peace. Sitting on what they know to protect the case is one thing, letting the city go to pot is another. Both sides are playing politics with this and its the citizens who are the real victims.
And how the people of Pittsburgh reacted to this, they can join the loser list, too.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:42 AM

They are now sitting in a circle, blocking the intersection of Grant St and the Boulevard of the Allies.
WATCH LIVE: Antwon Rose protesters march into downtown Pittsburgh and block traffic

Old 06-26-2018, 06:56 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Grant St is shut down by protesters. https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...urgh/773155104

State Police helicopter has been circling very low over Uptown and Downtown this morning.
I was just on Grant Street on a bike with my son in a trailer. Admittedly I didn't get any further than the USX building, but I didn't see anything, not even unusual levels of traffic.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I was just on Grant Street on a bike with my son in a trailer. Admittedly I didn't get any further than the USX building, but I didn't see anything, not even unusual levels of traffic.
A group of 100 marched down Grant from Uptown/the Hill.
They stopped briefly at the Courthouse.
Now they're sitting in a circle and blocking Grant & the Boulevard.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:08 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
I just noticed the officer involved is a part-time officer. He is on unpaid leave. Part-time officers make very little money. He might have been making like $10-15 an hour.

Guess I get protesting all over the city instead of that tiny little place of 2,000 people. I feel bad for the city of Pittsburgh that will have to endure all of this for a very long time and they weren't involved. Guess it is collateral damage.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:22 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,990,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
The tilt here has certainly suggested that many here feel Antwon was a continuing threat, something I strongly disagree with. There is no reason to assume this was a random killing spree he was involved with and that it would continue beyond what had already occcurred. I feel the evidence coming to light will show the failure of the officer to properly gauge the situation and instead of de-escalating and calling for support, he made the executive decision to take Antwon’s life because he felt he had the authority to and judged Antwon guilty and therefore deserving execution. No other facts have been presented to show otherwise and if they existed I feel like the department would have issued them already. If the only additional evidence they have is against the car and the drive by, that doesn’t remove the officers culpability.
The criminal was involved in a violent felony minutes before. I would not someone who had just been at the scene of a driving by shooting running loose in my neighborhood. Maybe that does not bother you?

This action seems to fit well with the PA law covering using force. Bike Lane Bill has only made the situation worse with his blatant pandering.

This is not about if Antwon was guilty, it is about the police using lawful force based on the best information they had at the time. Using words like "execution" is inflammatory and does not move the discussion forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh