Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 10:05 AM

755 posts, read 472,162 times

Advertisements

Also like Insurrection in Heidleburg for a friendly crowd, a tasty bite and a good brew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 10:33 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
We were there Monday night. Good food and good service. What happened at your last visit?
The chicken for my wife's food was raw inside, she sent it back and they just microwaved it to finish cooking it. They never reheated or recooked the pasta after it had the raw chicken on it. She had salmonella poisoning years ago so she was not to happy. My pizza was just blah.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:59 AM

755 posts, read 472,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
The chicken for my wife's food was raw inside, she sent it back and they just microwaved it to finish cooking it. They never reheated or recooked the pasta after it had the raw chicken on it. She had salmonella poisoning years ago so she was not to happy. My pizza was just blah.

OMG. That's absolutely revolting. and is probably a health violation - there are very strict rules on keeping food at temps that inhibit the growth of bacteria (below 40 and above 120, I recall).

Old 06-27-2018, 01:08 PM

112 posts, read 161,644 times
Alla Famiglia

Old 06-27-2018, 03:03 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirus226 View Post
Alla Famiglia
The OP asked for inexpensive.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:04 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
I am not vegan, but I will tell you that two of the best, reasonably priced meals I have had were at Apteka in Bloomfield and Onion Maiden in Arlington.

Also moderately priced and tasty are Tako, downtown, Honest John's in Homestead, The Summit in Mt. Washington, and Scratch in Troy Hill.
Onion Maiden is in Allentown, not Arlington.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:36 PM

219 posts, read 157,591 times
Once Dish closed (sad face), Stagioni became my go-to Italian place to eat if I'm on the South Side. Alla Famiglia is good, but be prepared to open up your wallet and let any moths fly out as it's not a cheap date.

From this and a different thread that you started, I've gathered that you're a bit older and that your idea of good and not too expensive might be different from what many posters here consider to be both of those things. That being said, for the quality and quantity of the food provided for the price, Lidia's in the Strip might be a great fit for you if you're looking to "do" Italian. The pasta sampler is tasty and the best value on the menu. Definitely get a Frico (a thin stuffed envelope made of cheese) if you end up going here. You won't be sorry.

If you're into Asian food that's not the typical Asian-American fare, Everyday Noodle in Squirrel Hill is great. It's not expensive per se, but if you order more than a few items from the menu it can become rather pricey on the p.d.q. If you're going to be with a group of people who enjoy both Chinese American food and more traditional Szechuan items, head across Forbes Avenue from Everyday Noodle to How Lee. As an added bonus, there's a Rita's nearby both restaurants so you can "fill in the corners" with an Italian ice for dessert.

Any of the restaurants in the Sienna group (one restaurant is in Market Square, the other three are in one building on Penn Ave.) are good if you're going to be in the Cultural District. The restaurants in the DeShantz group (Tako, Butcher and the Rye, Meat and Potatoes) are also good C. District venues), although I don't recommend them if you're going to be in a larger group than four people as seating at all three restaurants is a bit tight.

I'll third Gaucho, although be aware that they're closed on Mondays.

In closing, although I realize that you're looking for actual sit-down restaurants, if you can hit up the Pittsburgh Taco Truck, do it. They post where they're going to be on certain days/times via their website and Facebook page. Tasty, generously filled tacos in a variety of flavors at a great price.

Last edited by Twenty Years in the Burgh; 06-27-2018 at 03:52 PM..

Old 06-27-2018, 08:10 PM

433 posts, read 287,259 times
"NO, I don't mean those high-end restaurants like "Le Mont", "Grand Concourse", " Spoon", where they serve a little bit of food and overcharge you an arm and leg."

Ha ha, think that's funny but so true. When I owned a business a long time ago, I gave a gift certificate to Jakes Above The Square as a thank you to one of my really good employees. He took his wife there for dinner and on the way home, stopped at an Eat n' Park for something to eat. Apparently, the tiny, albeit very pretty food was more akin to getting served an Easy Bake Oven version of a good meal.

On another note, I really liked Tessaro's in Bloomfield. My family and I went there for my birthday dinner. It was really good.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:01 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
On another note, I really liked Tessaro's in Bloomfield. My family and I went there for my birthday dinner. It was really good.
I am so overdue to go there. I used to feel they had the best burger in Pittsburgh if you like a burger without a bunch of crap on it to cover up the wood/quality flavor. Man, I think it is time I go there again.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:20 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
The last few times I was there it was very good, but I have had some disappointing meals a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh