Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 04:44 PM

94 posts, read 78,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
There used to be a lot more development discussion on this site, but hardly any recently. Thought I'd see if anyone wants to discuss this new building and how it will affect the area. Looks like Philips will be moving 1,250 employees from Westmoreland County to it - should be a big shot in the arm to East Liberty.

https://triblive.com/business/techno...y-square-space
I agree wholeheartedly about the need for more development talk here. That's really my.
main reason for joining this page. It just seems some people would rather talk about where to get a haircut and things like that. Of course, it is not up to me to decide what gets talked about but only to decide if I choose to participate. As for development goes, I am still peeved over the Cultural Trust derailing plans for that ambitious project on Penn. I don't think people realize how much of a game changer that project could have been at street level, vertically and from looking south from across the Allegheny. I just shake my my head when I drive past just as I have for the past ten years when it was nixed the first time around. As for the East End, it is really exciting. I just hope something can be rectified at the old Pennley Place Apt. complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 05:20 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Default Strip District Becoming Bourgeois?

$3,000,000 condos are being built in the Strip District along Penn Avenue at 23rd Street on the site of a shelled-out garage that currently houses a mess of graffiti.

https://www.penn23.com

Further up Penn Avenue more condos are under development between Edgar’s Tacos and DiAnoia’s Eatery.

https://www.refinerycondos.com

In the next block up Penn Avenue a new restaurant is also about to open next-door to Savoy in the building that formerly housed Dulcinea Bakery.

Fast-Casual BBQ Restaurant Choppin' Block Will Open Soon in the Strip District

Further up Penn Avenue, the former 31st Street Pub is now an organic market. I discovered this gem while running in the middle of the street during last weekend’s Open Streets event.

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-...rall-wellness/

Over on Railroad Street, the riverfront residential redevelopment is coming along nicely.

https://www.edge1909.com

The medicinal marijuana dispensary is also open.

PA Medical Marijuana Dispensaries | CY+

The massive flashy new Audi dealership along Liberty Avenue is also almost done.

My fantasies?

-At 28th & Penn you have Noftz Sheet Metal (fine); Penn Fixture (fine); and Klavon’s Ice Cream (very fine). The problem? The southwest corner of the intersection is an abandoned building that Penn Fixture just uses for overflow storage, and the next lot down Penn Avenue is a large surface parking lot for Sargent Electrical. I would love to see a new mixed-use project built here—underground parking garage, ground-level retail (maybe a Starbucks), and then several floors of apartments or condos.

-Ford Argo AI bought the former Pittsburgh Public Market at Penn & 24th and turned it into a foreboding garage for its autonomous vehicles (yuck). Penn Avenue is pedestrian-friendly, and that was a terrible reuse for that building. I’d like to see the building torn down with a taller building in its place.

-A residential high-rise was planned for the vacant lot next to Savoy and was then scrapped. Let’s revisit that.

-The sooner the riverfront trail extends past 15th Street to at least 28th Street the better.

When I first moved to Polish Hill I lamented paying the inflated East End rent without having the walkable amenities of the East End. Now the Strip District and Lawrenceville are finally growing into each other, which means I have MUCH more to walk to than when I first moved here eight years ago. I couldn’t possibly be any more thrilled. My own neighborhood might be home to just a coffee shop, smoky dive bars, and hipster stores, but we are being “sucked into” the growth around us.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:31 PM

94 posts, read 78,777 times
The planned high rise next to Savoy was scrapped because some Nimbys had a hissy fit when they heard it was going to be 18 stories. Gee, I thought that we lived in a city. This fear that places like Penn Mac, Wholeys, Parma Sausage etc. are going to be razed in place of high rises is unfounded.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:12 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Waver View Post
I agree wholeheartedly about the need for more development talk here. That's really my.
main reason for joining this page. It just seems some people would rather talk about where to get a haircut and things like that. Of course, it is not up to me to decide what gets talked about but only to decide if I choose to participate. As for development goes, I am still peeved over the Cultural Trust derailing plans for that ambitious project on Penn. I don't think people realize how much of a game changer that project could have been at street level, vertically and from looking south from across the Allegheny. I just shake my my head when I drive past just as I have for the past ten years when it was nixed the first time around. As for the East End, it is really exciting. I just hope something can be rectified at the old Pennley Place Apt. complex.
As an FYI, we discuss all of this over at the...other place...which you cannot link to because the mods will cut the links. That's about all we discuss though.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:16 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Waver View Post
The planned high rise next to Savoy was scrapped because some Nimbys had a hissy fit when they heard it was going to be 18 stories. Gee, I thought that we lived in a city. This fear that places like Penn Mac, Wholeys, Parma Sausage etc. are going to be razed in place of high rises is unfounded.
You mean like some of my own fake yuppie neighbors who were concerned about the high-rise "affecting views"? Anti-density types really need to move to Cranberry Township and get the heck out of my city!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As an FYI, we discuss all of this over at the...other place...which you cannot link to because the mods will cut the links. That's about all we discuss though.
Is BrianTH there? I miss him!

Old 06-29-2018, 05:58 AM

755 posts, read 471,644 times
Ok. How abour a little clue as to what secret place you are referring to?

Old 06-29-2018, 07:08 AM

I'm going to try to count up all of the projects I know about in the Strip right now. Bear with me

1. New AC Hotel next to Eleven. Almost completed, soon to open.

2. Conversion of Wholey warehouse to something - probably offices. A New York developer is closing on the building, so something should happen in the next few years.

3. Buncher's unimpressive "District 15" office building. Steel frame is currently up.

4. 1627 On The Strip: Rehab of the old Pennrose building into apartments. 72 units in all.

5. Terminal building rehab - getting close to construction.

6. Conversion of 1600 Smallman across the street from the Terminal Building into office space - even closer to construction (zoning approvals already have gone out).

7. Buncher's mega-residential project behind the terminal building. First phase (385 apartment units) is close to completion, with the first 150 units to be leased soon. Construction of 46 townhouses soon to follow. Buncher just put in to the planning commission for the third phase - two new apartment buildings totaling 443 units. The construction on this won't start till 2019, and won't be finished till 2021.

8. Consumer Fresh Produce building: Now owned by a NYC developer and being leased back to the company for the time being. Obviously will be in development soon.

9. Thin lot between Consumer Fresh Produce and Cork Factory: Oxford has put in to build an apartment here.

10. Lots on Smallman across from Saint Stanislaus Church: Developer has plans for a large midrise office building covering the entire two-block area.

11. Lots on Penn by Harp & Fiddle: New plan just came forward for two nine-story buildings, with a mix of parking, commercial, office space, and a hotel.

12. Three Crossings - Riverfront West - construction is almost finished. Oxford is moving on to Three Crossings 2.0 now.

13. New 26-unit condo building where Quality Granite was.

14. Oxford has been buying out a ton of strip property, including the former PCA factory and the Achevia building, as it assembles the land for Three Crossings 2.0. No concrete plans besides an overflow parking lot for their existing buildings at this time.

15. New branch of the Cinderlands brewery where Spaghetti Warehouse used to be (unfortunately they're trashing the building.

17. New office building going up at 3000 Smallman. Four-story, 24,000 square feet building.

18. City is starting to market their giant DPW facility next to the 31st Street Bridge.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Is BrianTH there? I miss him!
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
I can answer by PM. If I link directly to it I violate the TOS of city data and my link will get cut regardless.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:11 AM

969 posts, read 771,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Check my "status" and Google it.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:13 AM

Here's a map I did a few months back with all the office projects I'm currently aware of in the city. You can see there's basically two bands - Strip to Lawrenceville, and South Side Works to East Liberty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh