Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 10:02 AM

969 posts, read 771,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Probably not the best place to put this, but I can't find the right old thread to bump, and it's East Liberty related.

A judge has ruled that the arbitrary height limit that the city put on LG realty's planned office development on the site of Penn Plaza (dropping the height from 150 to 108 feet) should not stand. Absent an appeal, this likely means construction will start there relatively soon.
This outcome was predictable and I'd like to see some people removed from the Planning Commission as a result.

It will probably be another 6 months before any work begins because I'd be shocked if LG has detailed drawings considering the various iterations they have had to go through while being jerked around.

Is the S. Euclid corner phase 1? Now that Trek is moving forward with Mellon Orchard, Cube and Bank of America are building @ Baum-Euclud it's about time the City does it's part and approves final plans for the last of two way conversion of Penn Circle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 10:59 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Is the S. Euclid corner phase 1? Now that Trek is moving forward with Mellon Orchard, Cube and Bank of America are building @ Baum-Euclud it's about time the City does it's part and approves final plans for the last of two way conversion of Penn Circle.
Unfortunately the new Mellon's Orchard apartment plans for the corner of Stanton and N Euclid just came out, and they show the intersection remaining unchanged with the current speedway curved corner. By the time the city gets its act together a lot of new infrastructure will have been built with the old grid in mind.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately the new Mellon's Orchard apartment plans for the corner of Stanton and N Euclid just came out, and they show the intersection remaining unchanged with the current speedway curved corner. By the time the city gets its act together a lot of new infrastructure will have been built with the old grid in mind.
The plan also shows a reconnected Harvard and Beatty streets, which is part of the Penn Circle conversion. I have spoken to the URA and DOMI about Penn Circle and they are working out the last "tricky details" whatever that means. I thought they didn't have the money, but that's not it, the money is just sitting there, at least that's what Karina Ricks said.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:59 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,690,742 times
All good things come to an (East) end. That area cannot sustain the insane amount of dense new development, people, auto traffic, etc. It's just a nightmare around there anymore. Build first, ask questions later is not a good way to go. Poor planning. Then again, developers love the Peduto Admin.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
All good things come to an (East) end. That area cannot sustain the insane amount of dense new development, people, auto traffic, etc. It's just a nightmare around there anymore. Build first, ask questions later is not a good way to go. Poor planning. Then again, developers love the Peduto Admin.
Whats coming to an end? How can the EE not handle it? We are so far from having density problems, that's laughable.

What's it like to resent the booming part of the city you live in?

Old 07-12-2018, 04:14 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
This is a major head scratcher...the East End, and specifically East Liberty / Larimer / Shadyside have been built out and expanded over a 20 year period. In this town, it is nearly impossible to “build first, ask questions later”. If anything it is more like, “submit a plan, fight NIMBYs, answer questions, revise plans, fight NIMBYs, revise plans, answer questions, maybe build or repeat from the start or scrap entirely”

Old 07-12-2018, 06:03 PM

94 posts, read 78,777 times
I don't understand nimbys complainning about gentrification if they own property in a neighborhood whose property values have skyrocketed in the last decade plus.
If they don't own property then ****. On the other hand, I can see why people may have issues with people moving in that they have nothing in common with because they're mostly used to living around similarly lower income people. If subsidized housing is proposed near an upscale area , the residents will fight against it because it will lower property values due to the perceived or actual type of denizens moving in. It is more of an income thing as opposed to a black and white thing. Unfortunately, there are sometimes racial overtones when there does not have to be. Scrutinize what I say, but I speak the truth.

t

Old 07-12-2018, 07:12 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
The NIMBYism in this city is quite irritating.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:30 PM

94 posts, read 78,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The NIMBYism in this city is quite irritating.
I agree. It has run rampant for years. Back in the 80s and into the 90s it was.. "We don't want no shiny and new development on the old mill site!" Bring back steel! " Nowadays "It's too tall" which is akin to penis envy but I digress. Then there's the "What am I going to get out of this? " crowd. Cities change. Cities evolve. That does not mean that development should go unchecked. That is why we have planning boards. Not everybody likes what they do because so many people have their own agendas and it's getting worse. Sometimes you gotta be like REO Speedwagon. You gotta Roll With The Changes.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:17 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Probably not the best place to put this, but I can't find the right old thread to bump, and it's East Liberty related.

A judge has ruled that the arbitrary height limit that the city put on LG realty's planned office development on the site of Penn Plaza (dropping the height from 150 to 108 feet) should not stand. Absent an appeal, this likely means construction will start there relatively soon.
It is the perfect location for this news. It is great news indeed. I hope all goes as planned and Whole Foods can open a bigger store for more jobs and a much needed service to the area. Great stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: