Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 06:24 PM

387 posts, read 470,840 times

Advertisements

Knepper3 & villageidiot1:

Just an FYI-using the bluebook link, you will only get the hex-mesh gabions because locally the ONLY brand of gabions you can get (already spoke to the only 2 distributors in the area) are Terra Aqua & Maccaferri.

The big difference in the hex mesh gabions is that they are woven, & look more like the ones you see being used in civil & roadside projects. They can be made to look nicer & not as baggy, but if you want seating/table, bench type of stuff on top, you want the THICK welded gabions in a 4 or 5 gauge. You will NOT find 1 distributor locally.

I posted links to gabion1, & also Hesco (think military bastions-same awesome company) BOTH have WONDERFUL customer service. I've been in touch with both companies.

Hesco has the Rock-Box in limited sized, & only goes to a thickness of 8.5 gauge, & no custom ordering.

Gabion 1 gives you a choice of 9, 5, or 4 gauge, & will make ANY size you like, without upcharging just for having a custom size basket. They will have to be shipped from California.

So far, gabion1 has the best prices, steel ain't cheap. You can see their prices online.
Both gabion1 & Hesco uses Galfan coating instead of just galvanized. That's something you want IMHO.

Hesco gabions are superior military grade, but they don't offer heavy architectural gabions, however they're more expensive & your sizes are limited.

Outside of them, your other seriously viable option is to build them yourself from the welded wire livestock panels that you can special order from tractor supply. Sheep panels in 3"x3", or horse panels in 2"x4" mesh is what you want.

Just an FYI on DIY using the panels: I priced making them myself using the welded wire panels & gabion1's pricing is about the same at the end of the day, & they do all of the cutting & you just pu them together-there's a video on their website & youtube that shows how easy you can put it together-4 minutes.
The price savings only comes into play when you consider shipping costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 07:09 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Honestly I don't mind to look of either, I dont really need them for my tier but it would help define it better and let me open a little more room. I'd likely just go with the local to keep the price down and let the ivy grow over in that case. I've never thought about those before as a residential retaining wall but yes see that often in commercial. I think would think the cost of stone to fill those would be more than the rest.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:22 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Honestly I don't mind to look of either, I dont really need them for my tier but it would help define it better and let me open a little more room. I'd likely just go with the local to keep the price down and let the ivy grow over in that case. I've never thought about those before as a residential retaining wall but yes see that often in commercial. I think would think the cost of stone to fill those would be more than the rest.
If you are letting ivy grow over it, you can use #3 recycled concrete as fill

Old 08-08-2018, 08:34 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,781,397 times
Sometimes, the jobber/distributor who sells a product in a local or regional area, will also upon being asked, recommend possible contractors who install it.

(They probably recommend the contractors who are the fastest payers, but other things being equal, the fastest paying contractor is likely the best one too.)

Old 08-10-2018, 06:02 AM

Depending on how many you will be using, the rock isn't that expensive.

If you buy local it's btwn $32-42 per ton for #4r limestone.

If you buy from the quarry-a triaxle is about 21-23 tons & I got quoted about $550 delivered straight from the quarry.
If you actually go get it yourself from the quarry, it's about $13/ton & you can get whatever amount you want. Much cheaper from the quarry.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:20 AM

In light of the fact that I couldn't get an excavator, or find an engineer to take on my project, or find anyone to show up and actually give an estimate, I'm frustrated, & disgusted.
I've decided to say "screw it" & screw them.
I wasted more time trying to find someone to do it, or to just show up, I couldn't take it anymore.

With my angst, shovel, wheelbarrow, & a friend, I started taking a shot at the hill/wall.
Yep. Crap. I'm in deep now. 1/4 of the area is partially dug out.

Also a 35 foot long mini French drainage type of ditch was dug out/lined/piped/back filled.
Found out that side of the house is all shale, luckily the rest doesn't seem to be.

Gabions are now ordered & paid for. Ordered enough for a 45ft wall. I'm going to do this project in stages.
I suck at documenting while I'm working on a project, but I'm gonna try, because I believe gabions to be a wonderful solution that's not utilized much by homeowners, & if I get it done, anyone can do it.

I made concessions regarding the gauge of wire for my gabions. It's not really a concession, it's just that I like to over build. I wanted big fat thick wire because I like how it looks.

The cost to ship 4 gauge galvanized steel gabions across the country was as much as the materials themselves.
I purchased 9 gauge, welded galvanized wire, which is the thickest I can get locally, it's not stock, but special order, custom. That's still considerably thicker than what's used on govt road projects which is usually 11-13 gauge. They're American made, PA made actually, & I can go pick them up myself once they're done being made. The gabions themselves cost a little bit more, but I save on shipping, & supported local business, & it's USA made steel.

Most of this I understand what I need to do & how to do it. I do need some guidance for the compacted gravel base. I wanted to hire out that part, but can't get anyone to show up for that either. I guess I'll be renting a plate compactor.

I've also decided to stop digging until I have all materials on site, because once the prep is done for the base, it all goes really fast. Mostly I don't want anything sliding/collapsing if there is a delay in getting materials & we get a bunch of rain.

Should I start a new thread or leave this here?

Last edited by Catia; 09-01-2018 at 04:29 AM..

Old 02-18-2019, 06:19 PM

Gabion progress stopped due to winter. I'm 50 tons of stone into it, so obviously I'm committed.
1st row of gabions, the base, is in.
This project was made excruciating due to a nightmare excavator, & rain.

Did I mention rain? Oh, and there was more rain, & then some rain. I've dig out mud in tight spaces using a hand spade & 5 gallon buckets, & just my own 2 hands with rubber gloves. I've had to shop vac rain, lay plywood-just walk thru mud. Then there's frozen mud & snow.
I'm 1/2 way finished, & living on bated breath until spring, just hoping the rest of the hill doesn't give, because of, well. the RAIN.
The amount of physical labor is extreme. There are 2 of us working on this project & it is ALL manual. A wheelbarrow, rock, wire. I'm very petite, so I can't lift much at once. I also learned that I can only move a 1/2 full wheel barrow of rock at a time.
I have personally touched every single stone, probably twice.

The problem is, I'm really LOVING this project. Despite rain, wind, snow, ice, cave ins, slides, aches, & exhaustion, & having to reconfigure design a few times, on the fly, due to the above, I can't wait for spring so I can get back to it.

Since the rain/snow/mud & slides aren't stopping in the area, I wanted to post pics, so people can see gabions can be a solution, & it can be DIY.

I can't get pics to post. Need some help. Ain't savvy on whatever it is that I gotta do, I tried.
Help anyone? I'm mechanically inclined but software handicapped.

edited to add, somehow 1 pic did appear, but not the others ???

Last edited by Catia; 02-18-2019 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: cuz z pic did appear

Old 02-19-2019, 10:54 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,051,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catia View Post
Gabion progress stopped due to winter. I'm 50 tons of stone into it, so obviously I'm committed.
1st row of gabions, the base, is in.
This project was made excruciating due to a nightmare excavator, & rain.

Did I mention rain? Oh, and there was more rain, & then some rain. I've dig out mud in tight spaces using a hand spade & 5 gallon buckets, & just my own 2 hands with rubber gloves. I've had to shop vac rain, lay plywood-just walk thru mud. Then there's frozen mud & snow.
I'm 1/2 way finished, & living on bated breath until spring, just hoping the rest of the hill doesn't give, because of, well. the RAIN.
The amount of physical labor is extreme. There are 2 of us working on this project & it is ALL manual. A wheelbarrow, rock, wire. I'm very petite, so I can't lift much at once. I also learned that I can only move a 1/2 full wheel barrow of rock at a time.
I have personally touched every single stone, probably twice.

The problem is, I'm really LOVING this project. Despite rain, wind, snow, ice, cave ins, slides, aches, & exhaustion, & having to reconfigure design a few times, on the fly, due to the above, I can't wait for spring so I can get back to it.

Since the rain/snow/mud & slides aren't stopping in the area, I wanted to post pics, so people can see gabions can be a solution, & it can be DIY.

I can't get pics to post. Need some help. Ain't savvy on whatever it is that I gotta do, I tried.
Help anyone? I'm mechanically inclined but software handicapped.

edited to add, somehow 1 pic did appear, but not the others ???
Good job thus far...! and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh