Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 08:46 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I don't know, this house looks pretty good for the price. I would say a really good scrubbing and some consistent paint colors would go a long way. Close to public transportation too.

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh.../home/74535861
Listing can look nice on sites, this is a HUD owned home being sold as is and no preclosing repairs will be made it states. The buyer also needs to pay both sides of all fees and utilities will not be turned on. Not saying it's a bad home or deal but if you were FHA you likely couldn't get this and if not FHA you would need more at closing. Things is someone looking at a $50k home likely will not have the savings needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 09:30 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
I don't even think its pickiness but general livability. Not everyone can handle a full gut remodel, so yes there are houses on the market but they are not really on most people's radar, neighborhood aside.
This. I don’t think people outside of this market realize how many houses in the city are not inhabitable

Old 08-08-2018, 12:57 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Are we not including Homewood and Lincoln-Lemington in the East End? I guess they don't fit the housing bubble narrative.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:23 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Are we not including Homewood and Lincoln-Lemington in the East End? I guess they don't fit the housing bubble narrative.
There are currently 11 homes for sale in Homewood. Four are inhabitable. I would be interested to see if comparison of turn key homes in Homewood from year to year, but sadly I don’t think there are any. People who have maintained their homes aren’t selling them.

While not the East End, hill district real estate seems to have gone up quite a bit in price.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:53 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
While not the East End, hill district real estate seems to have gone up quite a bit in price.
Hazelwood too, from what I've seen.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:31 PM

You also need to define inhabitable, I am looking at it from a mortgage qualification standpoint. Just because you can live in a home doesnt mean the lender will approve a mortgage. FHA is strict and I feel often too strict but they will not approve unless things they want fixed are done.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:05 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
You also need to define inhabitable, I am looking at it from a mortgage qualification standpoint. Just because you can live in a home doesnt mean the lender will approve a mortgage. FHA is strict and I feel often too strict but they will not approve unless things they want fixed are done.
It seems hit or miss though. I had an FHA loan when I bought my current house and I am still missing the railing on the stairs to the attic that the inspector suggested I get, but a friend of mine couldn’t sell his house (the buyer was going FHA) until he got every last flake of peeling paint off the backside of a garage that was up against a treeline.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:25 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,456,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Hazelwood too, from what I've seen.
quite a bit, not that we weren't saying it 3 years ago.
one investor from NY bought 19 properties and pretty much tripled value of a lot of hazelwood overnight.

Still going up though.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
It seems hit or miss though. I had an FHA loan when I bought my current house and I am still missing the railing on the stairs to the attic that the inspector suggested I get, but a friend of mine couldn’t sell his house (the buyer was going FHA) until he got every last flake of peeling paint off the backside of a garage that was up against a treeline.

Yeah it all comes down to the appraiser, we have had several that were VERY picky. Even one that noted screens were torn and needed to be replaced. Other's have missed issues we would have guessed would be an issue. On average though most get noted, for folks in the under $100k range its a big deal and many owners will not consider FHA. Its a pain to go a month into it just to start over and worse yet is for the buyer who is usually limited on funds to start loses out on $500 for an inspection plus the appraisal cost (usually).

Old 08-08-2018, 06:57 PM

615 posts, read 393,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I earn a working class salary (that is balanced out by having fantastic benefits).

The thing is, you can either live in the East End. Or you can be a home-owner. With salaries like ours, you simply can't have both. I lucked out in that I received a small windfall from my divorce settlement, and I qualified for a VA mortgage (no down-payment, and no private mortgage insurance).

Seriously - consider a job with the County, you'll still have the good vibes of public service, stable employment, and excellent benefits. But your residency restriction will be wider - you can live anywhere in the County. Consider doing that and considering a first-ring suburb.

Your voice is too small to matter in the City. You're not a professor or a philanthropist.
But in a suburban community, your passion for where you live can provide direct benefits and your voice can be heard by your municipal leaders.

I wish you luck. I know it sucks, and our generation really got screwed by our parents' generation..
Very sound advice. This is exactly what I tell people for the reason why I left Brighton Heights for Weirton, WV. I feel way more invested in the community here. They really try to do the right thing and help you out. Our little business district needs work, but it has the bones to be a good walkable area.

I work in Greentree area. Driving there from here is a snap. I get off the exit right before traffic backs up the hill from the tunnel. Route 22 into Robinson is probably the best highway in the region. A smooth drive and well maintained. My parents live in Robinson so it is a straight shot to and from. I gave myself a pay raise just moving here. I pay more in gas but the wage and property taxe savings were huge. Plus it is a safe neighborhood with a two car garage. You can hear a pin drop at night. This house is probably close to 300K im the city. I paid 175,000 back in 2015. If I want to watch Pittsburgh sports I get all the channels same thing with Pittsburgh radio. If I want to go into the city I can, otherwise I can avoid it completely. On weekends I hit up center market near downtown wheeling. Easier to drive there and enjoy imemtities without the traffic headaches. I have a West Virginia state park down the road as well as raccoon park and Tappan lake in Ohio if I want to fish. I can gamble at mountaineer and take my family as it is smoke free now.

We have decent places to eat on three springs drive. Deejays ribs probably one of the best and most affordable places to eat. Plenty of people fill the restaurant from Robinson and Steubenville on weekends. Or you can drive into wheeling with ease and hit up one of their brewpubs or hipster type joints. You also have Robinson nearby. Oh we also have Uber. I see my tax money at work trying to fix things. Pat Ford, who uses to be at the URA, is our development director for the panhandle. He has manufacturing coming into the vacant lots along the river. All tied to natural gas.

The only downfall is the school district. We send our kid to catholic school, but it is still cheaper than in the burgh.

I hope steel city listens and realizes the suburbs and exburbs have a lot to offer. I consider Weirton and Steubenville suburbs of Pitt. We are very close, most people work in Robinson or greentree. It is a good quality of life without all of these headaches, crime, bloated housing prices and depression from having your wallet squeezed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh