Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 12:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaDan907 View Post
I figured that may be something to watch. I'm coming fr Maine so I'm sure it will be a tad similar, with Pittsburgh having a tad more foliage left.
I've been there in late fall when the leaves were still on the trees, though not at prime. One year, I went out on Halloween Day b/c my mom was having surgery the next day (Nov. 1) and the trees were bare. Every year is different; don't have to tell you that. You'll have your own in Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 06:58 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Whoa, Alaska and Maine, good thing you aren't visiting in summer or you'd be swamped by heat and humidity. I'm not good on photography but I think if you like skyline views, the ones from the east are underrated (some spots in places like buildings in Oakland (Cathedral of Learning) or Greenfield bridge would get you views especially at sunset. for general exploring you should do Downtown of course (tons of cool architecture), Mt. Washington, North Side, Strip District, South Side, Lawrenceville, Oakland, East Liberty. and possibly Bloomfield, Shadyside, and Squirrel Hill if you have time. much easier to do if you had a car, but if you don't mind walking its really not all that far to cover in a few days. since all of these places are either at the center of the city or generally east of there except the North side. all of these places you can also get a good drink/food while you're looking around.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:08 PM

108 posts, read 60,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Whoa, Alaska and Maine, good thing you aren't visiting in summer or you'd be swamped by heat and humidity. I'm not good on photography but I think if you like skyline views, the ones from the east are underrated (some spots in places like buildings in Oakland (Cathedral of Learning) or Greenfield bridge would get you views especially at sunset. for general exploring you should do Downtown of course (tons of cool architecture), Mt. Washington, North Side, Strip District, South Side, Lawrenceville, Oakland, East Liberty. and possibly Bloomfield, Shadyside, and Squirrel Hill if you have time. much easier to do if you had a car, but if you don't mind walking its really not all that far to cover in a few days. since all of these places are either at the center of the city or generally east of there except the North side. all of these places you can also get a good drink/food while you're looking around.
I spent 12 years in Arizona after Alaska and I've been here in Maine for 3 1/2. It's been hot and humid here so it doesn't bother me that much. I prefer the fall though, as temps are nicer. I don't mind chilly nights. I had considered a car but it's just too much hassle and I'd prefer to experience the city from a different perspective. Are there any areas I should avoid? I've heard the Hill district near downtown can be rough, and around the stadiums. Thanks!

Old 08-14-2018, 07:20 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Quote:
I spent 12 years in Arizona after Alaska and I've been here in Maine for 3 1/2. It's been hot and humid here so it doesn't bother me that much. I prefer the fall though, as temps are nicer. I don't mind chilly nights. I had considered a car but it's just too much hassle and I'd prefer to experience the city from a different perspective. Are there any areas I should avoid? I've heard the Hill district near downtown can be rough, and around the stadiums. Thanks!
You would be hard pressed to find yourself in any part of town during the day that you should avoid. There aren’t many of those, and the places you should avoid at night are going to be more residential in nature and you really wouldn’t have any need to be there day or night. When I trained for marathons I ran over the entire city by myself and never once felt unsafe during the day, but it probably depends on your tolerance levels. Also, as for any city you should be aware of your surroundings and be smart. I can’t name a city where you should walk thru desolate places at 3 am.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
You would be hard pressed to find yourself in any part of town during the day that you should avoid. There aren’t many of those, and the places you should avoid at night are going to be more residential in nature and you really wouldn’t have any need to be there day or night. When I trained for marathons I ran over the entire city by myself and never once felt unsafe during the day, but it probably depends on your tolerance levels. Also, as for any city you should be aware of your surroundings and be smart. I can’t name a city where you should walk thru desolate places at 3 am.
I agree. Before I moved to Maine, I lived in Tucson, AZ which has the highest crime rate in the state. I lived in one of the worst areas for crime and I always walked around. From what I can gather, Pittsburgh is a generally safe city with about 4 or 5 areas of concern. I'm a criminal justice major going into law enforcement so I don't scare easily, but I don't want to put myself in a bad situation either. I wouldn't mind staying out a bit later into the evening to capture night shots of the city, but don't want to run into any trouble.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:35 PM

Yeah most of the inner areas including hill district/uptown are not really too bad, at least daytime. most of Pittsburgh's more dangerous areas are kind of out of the way and not on major arteries. you can run into some unfriendly areas anywhere it looks desolate of course avoid those. usually if you don't wander far off the major roads it should be OK in the areas mentioned. Downtown should be OK for the most part even at night if you are not in a desolate area of it. Some people will not walk around the areas near the Wood St. T station or just east of Market Square, althougn I haven't had a serious problem but just to let you know.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Yeah most of the inner areas including hill district/uptown are not really too bad, at least daytime. most of Pittsburgh's more dangerous areas are kind of out of the way and not on major arteries. you can run into some unfriendly areas anywhere it looks desolate of course avoid those. usually if you don't wander far off the major roads it should be OK in the areas mentioned.
That's what I have gathered. Are there any off the wall or non touristy spots to check out? Part of my trip is to also see if I'd like to apply to some of the police departments in the area so I'd like to get a good feel of the city before I leave. I know that is hard in 3 days but that's what I can give right now.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
That's what I have gathered. Are there any off the wall or non touristy spots to check out? Part of my trip is to also see if I'd like to apply to some of the police departments in the area so I'd like to get a good feel of the city before I leave. I know that is hard in 3 days but that's what I can give right now.

I'd say check out Uptown in the daytime, its a run down but improving neighborhood. Bloomfield is Pittsburgh's most well known Italian neighborhood, but it might be just on the edge of becoming trendy (lots of ugly remuddled rowhouses) but has a prety decent business district. The Strip is touristy in the parts with the ethnic markets, but closer to downtown it has taken longer to revitalize and you might find it interesting. Actually even the trendier parts of the Strip still have grit. Polish Hill is not far away and not trendy.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:30 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,909 times
Quote:
The Mexican War Streets and Allegheny West are not touristy. (They are part of the north side - others have used that term.) The four overlooks I mentioned are not touristy though Mount Washington's overlooks are.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:25 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
An often overlooked spot to check out in Pittsburgh is St. Anthony Chapel in Troy Hill. One does not even need to be particularly religious to enjoy a quick stop by.

https://saintanthonyschapel.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh