Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:03 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
It’s $100 non moving violation, don’t waste a day waiting to fight it.
I live on a budget. This ticket is 28% of my monthly disposable income.
And I work downtown, a 10 minute walk away from the court.

So it is worth my while to fight this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 09:53 AM

9 posts, read 12,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I live on a budget. This ticket is 28% of my monthly disposable income.
And I work downtown, a 10 minute walk away from the court.

So it is worth my while to fight this.
That’s good. My appointment was for 8:30 and I was out of there by 9:30 but it kind of depends on when you get called.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:58 AM

9 posts, read 12,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
It's a bummer. If that happens, I would ask the judge for a continuance until the cop who wrote the ticket testifies in person. They owe you that.
Yeah I just wanted to get it over with. I can see why they do it to save taxpayer money and all. It’s a very frustrating experience because the judge has all the power. He started telling me some crap about how the parking authority told him he couldn’t park anywhere downtown...which had nothing to do with my argument. I think the judges are elected too so it’s not like he even has real expertise.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msw5045 View Post
He started telling me some crap about how the parking authority told him he couldn’t park anywhere downtown...which had nothing to do with my argument.
Thats one of the ironic things.. given where I work, everyday I get to see the Sheriffs parking their duty vehicles illegally (under a no parking sign, and blocking a fire hydrant) - because their command staff parks their personal cars and take-home cars in the Sheriff's lot. It's a disgusting lack of integrity.

The Battalion Chiefs for the Fire Department park illegally every day too. One is pulled up ONTO the sidewalk, and parked under a 'tow away zone' sign.

And Mayor Billy P parks his personal car legally, but his chauffeured 'official' car is parked illegally nearly everyday as well.

And I've got pictures of all of it.

I make an honest mistake and get slapped with a big fine. City leadership and Law Enforcement get to do whatever the F they want, since apparently parking rules only apply to some of us.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:49 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msw5045 View Post
I think the judges are elected too so it’s not like he even has real expertise.

These courts are referred to as the "minor courts." Most of these district justices are not lawyers but have taken a 30 day course in how to be a judge. This is really a joke court. See link for qualifications.

https://www.alleghenycourts.us/distr...fications.aspx

Old 08-16-2018, 12:34 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,490 times
Dang I never realized that, kinda makes you wonder about that process but at least it does require a decent level of effort on the part of anyone hoping to get elected. I mean you have to be in harrisburg for a month of classes and still pass an exam out of your pocket then still need to get elected. Not saying that qualifies you but not just anyone would go through that.

Certification Training | Minor Judiciary Education Board | Supreme Court Boards | Committees, Boards & Advisory Groups | Supreme Court | Courts | Unified Judicial System of Pennsylvania

Old 11-01-2018, 03:18 PM

As a follow-up..
Fine was $50.
Costs were $61.50.
I believe it was $8 if I plead not guilty.

I had the trial.
The judge knocked the fine down to $10.

$111.50 if I hadn't fought it.
By fighting it, I ended up paying $79.50.

Still, if you're not proximate to downtown.. I can see why most folks would just pay in full and not bother with it (instead of dealing with driving downtown, dealing with parking, etc, etc)

Old 11-01-2018, 05:10 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Dang I never realized that, kinda makes you wonder about that process but at least it does require a decent level of effort on the part of anyone hoping to get elected. I mean you have to be in harrisburg for a month of classes and still pass an exam out of your pocket then still need to get elected. Not saying that qualifies you but not just anyone would go through that.

Certification Training | Minor Judiciary Education Board | Supreme Court Boards | Committees, Boards & Advisory Groups | Supreme Court | Courts | Unified Judicial System of Pennsylvania

They make about 90k a year. It is worth it if you can win the election.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:44 PM

146 posts, read 133,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
They make about 90k a year. It is worth it if you can win the election.
True, but you can't win the election unless you are in good with big wigs in the local Democrat party. These positions are given away as rewards for party loyalty, not based on talent or experience. The local government is rigged and 100% controlled by a single political party and their lackeys. Don't ever forget that. It's a big part of the reason why we are a stagnant region in population and economic growth. It's why our property taxes are insane, the schools are mediocre, and the roads suck. It's why gas is over $3 a gallon here, but $2.15 a gallon in more dynamic places like Charlotte, north Carolina. It's why wages are insanely low and our friends and family members leave the area for a real career. It's why after the squirrel hill shooting our 60 year old mayor with a clownish hipster beard talked about the need for our society to come together... Then refused to even meet with the president when he came to pay respects. These court positions are another dark reminder that 75 years of one party rule only leads to misery.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:00 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Hi,

I got a parking ticket on Sunday night in the South Side.
I've gotten tickets from the Parking Authority before, for forgetting about street sweeping days. Those fines were reasonable ($25, with perhaps a few dollars tacked on for costs).
The ticket last night was issued by the Police, and was extremely steep: $111.50, including costs.
The ticket cited State law, under which the maximum penalty for parking in a no-parking area was $50. However, under Pgh Municipal Code - the same violation has a maximum penalty of $25.

The situation was confusing and all but one car (on the same side of the street as me, within the same block) was likewise ticketed.
This was on S 28th St, between Sidney & Tunnel, adjacent to the cinema. The opposite side of this block has parking. And both sides of 28th between Sidney & Carson have parking. There was a sign for a loading zone where I parked, but the loading zone did not apply on Sundays. I was confused and misinterpreted this strange situation - as did other people apparently.

I've never contested any of my parking or speeding tickets before. I was wondering if anyone had luck contesting any parking ticket at Pgh Municipal Court (not the parking court for tickets issued by the parking authority)? It was a situation I honestly misinterpreted, as did others, and the fine seems rather excessive for the nature of the offense. Not sure if its worthwhile to appeal for any mercy from the court or not.

Thanks!!
Take your phone and walk around downtown between 5-6pm. Take pictures of all the cars parked in areas marked no parking 4-6. Then walk around with your phone after 6pm and take pictures of all the cars parked in "no parking" area including extending into cross-walks and in front of fire hydrants. It smacks of selected enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh