Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 05:46 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times

Advertisements

I support this decision. It's all over the place - Baltimore, DC....school buildings aren't cooling down enough, like another poster mentioned.

I will concede, though, that the modern generation is nowhere near as tough as previous ones. This heat issue, though, is not a fair barometer of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 06:58 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
I spent a portion of the summer of 88 in summer school, in a non-AC school. It was brutal. If anybody here remembers 1988 we had a terrible heat wave. Many schools are cancelled or having early dismissals in the Pittsburgh area today and I'm OK with that. This nostalgia, "we wore full wool suits to school in August" BS is ridiculous.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:18 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times
Everyone has missed the point on this one. It's not about older generations being tougher. It's about the temps not being significantly different or better a couple hours earlier. The logic is what I question, much like 2 hour delays for cold. It's dumb.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:24 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Everyone has missed the point on this one. It's not about older generations being tougher. It's about the temps not being significantly different or better a couple hours earlier. The logic is what I question, much like 2 hour delays for cold. It's dumb.
Is class outdoors? There isn't a perfect correlation between outdoor and indoor temperature. Indoor temps rise much more rapidly mid day.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
but that is not a great argument. they HAVE to attend school, and make it an official school day. there is a middle ground between a day off, and suffering all day and not making efficient use of the time in the class, and that is apparently to have a short day.

i tend to avoid school-related discussions. for some reason, this topic has my interest.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:35 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times
It's dumb. I win and you all lose. I accept your apologies..

Old 09-05-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
It's dumb. I win and you all lose. I accept your apologies..
lol

Old 09-05-2018, 08:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post

Where do the kids let out early go?
That is a good question. That is why my district does not do early dismissals, or late starts either for that matter. Parents need to make special accommodations for their kids. Some 3rd and 4th graders will be left home alone until the parents get home from work.

I don't have a good answer, short term. If the schools have any extra monies, I think they should invest in some room A/Cs or at least some big-time fans. Long term, look into A/C.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:35 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I hate to do the old “when I was your age” thing, but what I hated about going back to school was that it was always 100-105 the first 2-3 weeks, and we had no AC. Still had to do PE, and walk to work and back. We all managed to survive, as did our kids until we moved up here to the Colleen NW. Back then there was not the same level of parental lawsuits, and there were no “Helicopter”or “Lawnmower” parents. Our parents wanted us to learn that life was tough, how to survive and compete and be prepared for adult life.
But you're not going to have a successful lawsuit unless something bad happens to a kid as a result of the heat. Maybe it's a good thing that schools don't want that to happen.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:48 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I would assume it has to do more with the nighttime lows (if you can call them that). These old buildings are not getting a chance to cool down at all. Packing students into those buildings, they aren't going to learn, and there are going to be more behavior issues as everyone is irritable. The "we did it when I was a kid" doesn't hold water with me. Times change, sometimes we just know better rather than saying today's kids are weak. Heck I used to play real, old school, rusty tipped lawn darts as a kid. Would I let my kids do it now? No, because we know better not because the kids can't handle the game.
Well said!

My curmudgeonly 2 cent good ole days addition: We used to take road trips with our parents in that iconic wood paneled station wagon. 4 kids in the back seat with hard surface interiors and no seat belts....ahhh those were the days! Who needs seat belts? What? What's that head palsy, you notice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh