Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,578 times

Advertisements

Hey guys so I'm going to be moving to Pittsburgh after the winter (actually moving back) and I'm looking to see where I should get an apartment. Right now I'm considering both Mt. Washington and Southside Flats.

A little about me: 23 young professional, will be working out by the airport, and will want an area where I'm within walking distance to nightlife, restaurants, and other recreational activities (gyms, hiking, sports, running, volunteer opportunities). I know the commute from either to out near the airport will be less than ideal, but I'm willing to suck it up to not sacrifice being near the social life. Plus I'll be working 7AM-4PM so I should probably miss the worst of it in the morning if I leave by 6:15-6:30.

My main questions are:

- How hard would it be to find a 1BR apartment that accepts cats for $1,000 or less per month in either area? Preferably only needing to pay for electric. Can go up to $1,200 but would prefer not to.

- From what I've seen Mt. Washington may be cheaper (I think) but how much of a difference would it be in terms of things to do, meeting people, etc.?

- Just how bad do you think the commute would be? I'm taking a guess I'll be looking at around 35min in the morning and about 45-60min coming home.

- Any other areas I should look at that would offer comparable price, commute, nightlife, and things to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 11:32 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,941,522 times
I lived up in Mt Washington and hung out in Southside all the time. Uber and Lyft abound for all your social needs, plus there is a cute albeit small nightlife up in Mt Washington around Shiloh Ave. the commute the airport is like 10-15 min shorter if you live on Mt Washington to boot. I highly recommend the mount!

Old 11-19-2018, 11:43 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,107,821 times
I lived in Mt. Washington when I first moved to Pittsburgh, and there's a lot more going on now than there was then. I'd rather live in Mt.W and lyft it to the South Side to hang out than to live on the SS. You could also look at Brookline and Dormont--they're a little further out, but there are still a lot of young people, active business districts, and wouldn't add too much to your commute.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:49 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Welcome (back) in advance to Pittsburgh!

I'd personally pick Mt. Washington if I were in your situation. It will be a slightly better commute to the western suburbs than the South Side, and rents (at least away from Grandview Avenue) will be slightly cheaper than the South Side for a 1-BR apartment.

I will say that Pittsburgh's once-"red hot" rental market might be cooling a bit, so some landlords who post ads that say "No Pets" initially may relent and allow a cat if they can't find any other tenants. My landlady, for example, just had a much tougher time than usual renting out the unit above mine, and I live in a trendy neighborhood for rentals. In 2010 when I moved here competition was fierce for apartments. Since then a TON of mid-rises have been built (probably a few thousand units) in the urban core neighborhoods of the city, so right now it's a renter's market.

Shiloh Street has a few bars/restaurants that cater to 20-somethings and 30-somethings. There is also a grocery store, pharmacies, salons/barber shops, pizzerias, post office, liquor store, etc. in Mt. Washington to meet most of your day-to-day needs. You can take the incline down to Station Square for some more restaurant/bar options. I could see Station Square "bouncing back" in a couple of years once the new apartments there are completed.

Mt. Washington is generally safe.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:03 PM

3,701 posts, read 2,635,319 times
Mt Washington (and Brookline) are my two favorite city neighborhoods. Lots of cool seldom used trails in Mt Washington as well. Grocery store and several good restaurants. As someone else said Dormont is a good choice and both are an easy drive to airport. Though the Southside market seems to have cooled as well. Good luck.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:27 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,446,783 times
You can find 1 bedrooms for well under 1k in either area if you don't care how nice it is. For a newly remodeled unit you can definitely still find it for around 900-1050 or so.

I would also pick mt Washington over Southside in your situation. Try to stay as close to the shiloh st shops as possible and you'll enjoy it. Our rental season is fairly cyclical. If you move before May you will have a better chance of finding a deal and having people be flexible with pets a bit more. May through Aug is when everyone moves and competition in hot areas can be high.

the commute to the west before 630am is not bad at all. It starts getting jammed up around 7-715 typically. its about 25-30 min if you are on the road before 630. Coming back in will still take about an hour most days though.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:35 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,856,746 times
The Southside and Mt.Washington have gone downhill. Crime is bad in Mr.Washington outside of Shiloh. A landlord friend is having a hard time renting in Southside. Millvale, Lawrenceville, & the East End are the hotspots for 20 somethings.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:18 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,941,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The Southside and Mt.Washington have gone downhill. Crime is bad in Mr.Washington outside of Shiloh. A landlord friend is having a hard time renting in Southside. Millvale, Lawrenceville, & the East End are the hotspots for 20 somethings.
Hahahahaha...yeah, move to Larenceville and East Liberty, spend a bunch of money (good luck finding units for <$1000/mo), have a worse commute and deal with the same level of crime (assuming you live in the middle and not on the fringes). Give me a break, Mt Washington moved downhill. Laughable.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:25 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post

Old 11-20-2018, 11:34 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,482,638 times
I think the South Side has definitely cooled. Not as hot as it once was.

I think you answer will depend on your preference for a lesser commute or walkability to night life, etc. The South Side has more stuff to walk to but the commute is longer. So, do you want to Uber to a bar on the South Side or walk to a bar on the South Side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh