Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 09:51 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times

Advertisements

I saw some site that ranked it #46 among Pittsburgh's 90 neighborhood although it does rank high in crime.

It seems to be a nice location- not far from downtown. Can one walk to the river easily - are there places to sit and watch it flow by?

It does have a Kuhn's supermarket.

Is this an area on the upswing or one of continued decay? In other words is the future promising?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 10:06 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
I saw some site that ranked it #46 among Pittsburgh's 90 neighborhood although it does rank high in crime.

It seems to be a nice location- not far from downtown. Can one walk to the river easily - are there places to sit and watch it flow by?

Is this an area on the upswing or one of continued decay? In other words is the future promising?
Still on the downswing overall, IMHO, but it's not a full-on ghetto. Here's a profile I did of it last year.

Getting to the river from Marshall-Shadeland would be difficult, given only Eckart Street crosses 65 and the railroad tracks. The areas down by the river are also mostly industrial, although I believe the riverfront trail does go through that entire area.

If you want somewhere affordable and on the upswing on the Northside with nice river views, I would suggest Troy Hill instead.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:07 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post

It's been declining for some time. You can get to the river on foot but it's not a short walk by any means. I'd take Woodland to California, walk down California about a quarter mile and there are steps/ramp that go to Beaver Avenue. At that point it's a short walk to the river path. Eckert goes UNDER the tracks and 65 actually but would be another route that I personally would not take. The Kuhn's is just like any other small supermarket. The neighborhood is decently sized though and some streets are really nice, I had a friend who lived there as recently as 2012 and he never had a problem. The stretch of Shadeland and streets closest to it are the most run down. Edit, if I blindfolded the average City data user and took them here do you think they'd believe me when I told them they were in Marshall Shadeland?

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4693...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by norcider; 12-03-2018 at 11:15 AM..

Old 12-03-2018, 11:11 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Still on the downswing overall, IMHO, but it's not a full-on ghetto. Here's a profile I did of it last year.

Getting to the river from Marshall-Shadeland would be difficult, given only Eckart Street crosses 65 and the railroad tracks. The areas down by the river are also mostly industrial, although I believe the riverfront trail does go through that entire area.

If you want somewhere affordable and on the upswing on the Northside with nice river views, I would suggest Troy Hill instead.
Riverfront trail ends at the very back of the State Penitentiary. One can safely take 1-2 roads to Shadeland Ave from there without much traffic. No need to cross 65. Love some of the homes up there. Go there once a week in area. Have always felt safe.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:18 AM

One of my favorite houses in all of North Side. Wish somebody would put some elbow grease into it.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4690...7i13312!8i6656

Old 12-03-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Riverfront trail ends at the very back of the State Penitentiary. One can safely take 1-2 roads to Shadeland Ave from there without much traffic. No need to cross 65. Love some of the homes up there. Go there once a week in area. Have always felt safe.
Maybe you guys misunderstood me. Eckert does cross 65, since it goes underneath. That's what I meant. Otherwise there is no road or pedestrian access for the riverfront because 65 (which is basically a highway there) and the railroad tracks are in the way.

The further south connection that Nortcider mentioned also could work, but unless I'm wrong it's walking down to the intersection with Marshall Avenue - basically the farthest south point in the neighborhood. Of course technically Eckert is at the northern boundary of the neighborhood. Regardless, crappy riverfront access - not to mention a still crappy segment of the river.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:01 PM

"not to mention a still crappy segment of the river."
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, this section of the Ohio is gorgeous with many places to pull your bike off to the side and watch the boats go by. It's very quiet there too, unlike the Rachael Carson trail or the trail that runs alongside 28.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, this section of the Ohio is gorgeous with many places to pull your bike off to the side and watch the boats go by. It's very quiet there too, unlike the Rachael Carson trail or the trail that runs alongside 28.
I meant in the sense that it's a mostly industrial zone without even a row of tree screening the view of the ugly warehouses and big parking lots.

The one exception is the old jail, which is a legitimately beautiful - if bedraggled - structure.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:21 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I agree it is quiet on that part of the trail. Any chance in hell the trail will ever be extended beyond the jail? I can't see how it could..but nice to dream.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:58 PM

595 posts, read 599,985 times
There are some pretty nice areas in the neighborhood still. It's quite an eclectic mix.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4662...7i13312!8i6656
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh