Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 09:08 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
How enlightening. Might as well just kept it short and said your, "bingo" since you have NOTHING to offer. If you are going to reply to the OP, say something that will help. Seems you like to follow me around with anger. Strange, but whatever.
I already gave the op information that will help. Nobody is following you or is angered. Much like in this case, you often give wrong info, so it’s best the person asking knows it rather than using the wrong information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 11:44 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy28 View Post
I heard that car insurance is cheaper in Pittsburgh than Orlando. Is that true? Right now I pay $200 a month for my dodge sedan and my husband pays $220 for his car.
One more question! How's Pittsburhg economy doing ? Is it easy to find a job in Pittsburgh?

Its been a while since I moved but yes my insurance was cheaper, dont remember how much but enough I noticed. One thing is you will need to get inspections here which they didnt have in FL when I was there. Economy I think is average, depends on the career. I think it is better than when I moved here but I work from home so no job change and my wife is a Realtor (disclaimer I also have my license and work PT with her) so that has its ups and downs.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:45 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
If/When you guys move up here do me a favor and get me some bubbalous BBQ. I miss good BBQ.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:11 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy28 View Post
Thank you for your help! I currently live in Hunters Creek.
What are your thoughts on Cranberry Township and Ross Township?
Can you please give me an estimation on utilities bill for a 3 bedroom apartment/townhouse. And what's the average price for car insurance?
both good areas. look at the new townhouse rentals by walnut capital in ross should be around that price and super easy to downtown. above average schools as well.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:25 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
both good areas. look at the new townhouse rentals by walnut capital in ross should be around that price and super easy to downtown. above average schools as well.
walnut capital will not be having any 3-4 bed townhouses in the 1500/mo range. not even close. The OP said they need total rent, utilities and car insurance to be $2000. That rules out pretty much any newer construction.

edit* the ones mentioned at highland village start around 1950 for a 3 bed and go to about 2400. Not including any utilities.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:34 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
2000 is a pretty good budget til you start factoring in utility costs.

Cable and internet can be over 250. Gas can be over 200 in the winter and in the summer electric can be close to 200. Water isn't too bad.

I can't even begin to figure out what your car insurance would cost. As someone above mentioned, there are a lot of factors that could impact it.

Not sure if you should be "looking forward to affordable rent." Pittsburgh isn't as cheap as everyone thinks it is.

My pick for an "affordable" school district is Shaler. There is something for everyone there.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:27 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
walnut capital will not be having any 3-4 bed townhouses in the 1500/mo range. not even close. The OP said they need total rent, utilities and car insurance to be $2000. That rules out pretty much any newer construction.

edit* the ones mentioned at highland village start around 1950 for a 3 bed and go to about 2400. Not including any utilities.
yikes. yeah that does reduce it a bit. oddly enough, housing rentals are very rare in the area even though you could command some high rent. any insight why this is the case?

Old 01-14-2019, 01:19 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
2000 is a pretty good budget til you start factoring in utility costs.

Cable and internet can be over 250. Gas can be over 200 in the winter and in the summer electric can be close to 200. Water isn't too bad.

I can't even begin to figure out what your car insurance would cost. As someone above mentioned, there are a lot of factors that could impact it.

Not sure if you should be "looking forward to affordable rent." Pittsburgh isn't as cheap as everyone thinks it is.

My pick for an "affordable" school district is Shaler. There is something for everyone there.
Pittsburgh isn’t all that cheap to rent, but you can still buy a decent house for 150k. And, while our rentals aren’t “cheap” your 1500-2000/mo gets you a much nicer place than in many other cities.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:26 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Pittsburgh isn’t all that cheap to rent, but you can still buy a decent house for 150k. And, while our rentals aren’t “cheap” your 1500-2000/mo gets you a much nicer place than in many other cities.
^ BINGO!

Old 01-14-2019, 02:39 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
yikes. yeah that does reduce it a bit. oddly enough, housing rentals are very rare in the area even though you could command some high rent. any insight why this is the case?
a 2x4 costs the same in the north hills as it does in the strip district or shady side. More rental demand in the city vs suburb so less vacancy. Cost to build being similar, you will get somewhere around 20% more rent or greater in the city for the same unit. On top of that, you don't need to build many or any 3 bedroom units. Most city dwellers will want studio, 1 or 2 bedrooms. So you get more units on the same amount of land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh