Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 12:28 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,929,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

I mean how many people in Lawrenceville or Shadyside vs. Lincoln Place or West Mifflin can change a flat tire?
I know what you’re getting at, but who can’t change a tire? I can change a tire in my sleep. I probably won’t though. My clothes are too nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 01:10 PM

3,592 posts, read 3,371,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Seriously! I'm not a yinzer. I'll admit when I first moved to Pittsburgh in 2010 yinzers were a tough pill to swallow, but now that I've been here I've grown to love yinzers. Yinzers are what makes Pittsburgh "unique" instead of just being homogeneous.

Yinzers are the ones who do annoying things like bang pots and pans out their windows when the Steelers score; use parking chairs to reserve their own on-street parking spaces; talk about sports non-stop; and trash-talk the city they grew up in whilst simultaneously slamming any transplant who likewise speaks ill of the same city.

On the other hand yinzers would be the first to pull over their cars and get out to try to help if they saw a pedestrian slip and fall on the ice or band together to try to give your car a push up an icy hill to get you on your way. Yinzers don't sugarcoat things and tell you---to your face---how they really feel instead of being politically correct about everything and anything to the extreme extent of displaying an aura of almost smug ambivalence about almost everything the way supposedly "progressive transplants" tend to do.

Yinzers are a good bunch overall. I will never understand their love of King's Restaurants (yuck!); Primanti's (double yuck!); or Kenny Chesney (triple yuck!), but in a mass shooting situation or being broken down on the roadside in the dark I'd rather be surrounded by yinzers than surrounded by holier-than-thou transplant progressive types.

I mean how many people in Lawrenceville or Shadyside vs. Lincoln Place or West Mifflin can change a flat tire?
Polish hill is the last place to move If you don't 100% love yinzers

Old 01-17-2019, 02:21 PM

139 posts, read 75,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Wow

I am a yinzer, you can rest assured that I will never ring your doorbell asking for toilet paper. I will just use the cushion to your porch chair or mail like a civilized person.

You aren't a yinzer. You may speak with a yinzer accent, but that doesn't make you a true yinzer. I myself has a slight yinzer accent (God help me), however I am not a yinzer either. True yinzerdom, as I see it, requires a plethora of personality and lifestyle traits that I don't have the time to list right now. If you'd like however, I'd gladly do so when I've got more time.......n'nat. (I don't really say n'nat).

Old 01-17-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Hmmm...you mention Pittsburgh proper, then call out two towns that are not even part of the City of Pittsburgh.

It's all Yinzerville to me. As a happy Westmoreland county transplant, it's been years since I've paid attention to the city proper's tentacled borders.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:53 PM

969 posts, read 768,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by screechingweasel View Post
It's all Yinzerville to me. As a happy Westmoreland county transplant, it's been years since I've paid attention to the city proper's tentacled borders.
This makes you an unreliable source for good information on the City and surrounding municipalities. Commuting from Greensburg to Downtown is garbage and that advice is awful for a transplant.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
This makes you an unreliable source for good information on the City and surrounding municipalities. Commuting from Greensburg to Downtown is garbage and that advice is awful for a transplant.

I gave my advise to the OP, and it's up to her to do her own cross-referencing research on what I told her, which I'm sure she will. Thanks anyway for your two cents.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:20 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,633,501 times
True yinzer story. I'm renovating a house and the guys on my contractor's crew were upset about a recent mass shooting (this was a few months before the Tree of Life shooting) in another state. They explained to me that we now have a generation of "*ussies hiding behind their guns and drugs" because they grew up watching Barney the Dinosaur instead of GI Joe cartoons that taught you how to "fight fair like a real man." You can't make this stuff up.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
True yinzer story. I'm renovating a house and the guys on my contractor's crew were upset about a recent mass shooting (this was a few months before the Tree of Life shooting) in another state. They explained to me that we now have a generation of "*ussies hiding behind their guns and drugs" because they grew up watching Barney the Dinosaur instead of GI Joe cartoons that taught you how to "fight fair like a real man." You can't make this stuff up.
That statement is 100% true.

I told you I was a yinzer

Old 01-18-2019, 06:23 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,929,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
That statement is 100% true.

I told you I was a yinzer
Except crime was so much worse just about everywhere in the country during the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Except crime was so much worse just about everywhere in the country during the 70s, 80s and 90s.
We are not talking about statistics, we are talking about give Joe and his awesome powers.

The reason crime seems more prevalent to people today is because of the internet and multiple news outlets. You are completely correct, crime is actually at an all time low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh