U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-07-2008, 10:45 PM

5 posts, read 8,332 times
Default 21 and Invincible! Also, Moving Just Outside Pittsburgh to Attend Douglas Savini Special FX School. Any Advice?

Hello, soon-to-be fellow Pennsylvanians! The name's Johnny, and as you read in my subject line, I am 21, and will soon be moving to Monessen, PA to attend the Tom Savini School of Special Effects Makeup, which is a branch of Douglas schools. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or advice to give to a college student - whether that be in the way of jobs in the area, entertainment, good eats, places to see, places to avoid - anything that might be relevant to someone in my situation. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-07-2008, 11:32 PM

3,134 posts, read 5,176,952 times
If you search the forum for Monessen you should find some in depth answers.

Unread 04-10-2008, 12:05 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,010,471 times
Default Places to avoid in your search...

...The school (a well respected one by the way) should give you an amazing learning experience, the wrong areas around here could give you even more so of an experience. Have you reserved an apartment in the Monessen area already? That's the first question. The second would be, are you well versed in "street"?

Unread 04-11-2008, 09:28 PM

I did some reading up on the Monessen board, and there was much information there, but it seemed to be more political than anything. I understand that the politics of an area affect the social climate, which will ultimately affect me as a citizen, but I'm actually wondering more about the town itself. What's there, what isn't. Things in which I might be interested and such.

I have not yet reserved an apartment or any housing for sure. I did send in a housing application with my admission application, so if all goes as planned, I'll be living on campus.

As for being versed in "street", well, I grew up in a mostly White neighborhood, but I moved out to Los Angeles when I was 17, then to central New Jersey where I worked as a bouncer at a strip club for over a year, then to Newark, NJ where I lived on my own and spent a lot of time in New York City, then most recently to Richmond, VA. So, I've seen my share of urban and suburban thugs and wannabes and I can handle myself in those situations. I'm 6'6" and 235 pounds, so people don't usually mess with me anyway. I prefer to use proper English, but thanks to my experience (and MTV), I can usually decipher the language. I do have a Jive handbook. Should I update?

Unread 04-11-2008, 09:38 PM

922 posts, read 1,468,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKnowby View Post
I did some reading up on the Monessen board, and there was much information there, but it seemed to be more political than anything. I understand that the politics of an area affect the social climate, which will ultimately affect me as a citizen, but I'm actually wondering more about the town itself. What's there, what isn't. Things in which I might be interested and such.

I have not yet reserved an apartment or any housing for sure. I did send in a housing application with my admission application, so if all goes as planned, I'll be living on campus.

As for being versed in "street", well, I grew up in a mostly White neighborhood, but I moved out to Los Angeles when I was 17, then to central New Jersey where I worked as a bouncer at a strip club for over a year, then to Newark, NJ where I lived on my own and spent a lot of time in New York City, then most recently to Richmond, VA. So, I've seen my share of urban and suburban thugs and wannabes and I can handle myself in those situations. I'm 6'6" and 235 pounds, so people don't usually mess with me anyway. I prefer to use proper English, but thanks to my experience (and MTV), I can usually decipher the language. I do have a Jive handbook. Should I update?
Hi, welcome to Pittsburgh.

You'll be 100% fine in any neighborhood in the metro.

Unread 04-11-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
Hi, welcome to Pittsburgh.

You'll be 100% fine in any neighborhood in the metro.
Haha. Thank you. Good to know.

But seriously. Any cool hangouts? Dive bars? Burger joints? Anything?

Unread 04-11-2008, 10:56 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,010,471 times
Yeah, you'll be fine but keep those skills sharp and for heaven's sake don't start an aimless walking tour of the city!

Nightlife? Things to do? In Monessen? Near Monessen? Come to think of there is something to do. Catch the mainline bus outside of the school and ride it into Pittsburgh. From there, catch any city bus you like and ride to the neighborhood of your choice.

Now there is a bit of fun attached to that bit but there is a lot of truth in it as well. The valley really doesn't have much to offer outsiders as far as "fun" things to do. Charleroi, Donora, lower Belle Vernon and Monessen can be rather tough at times and hopelessly cold to outsiders. Belle Vernon proper (on the hill, a couple miles from the school) does have a couple reasonable bars to hang in on the main drag where you won't get your head kicked in. Belle Vernon proper to Rostraver (a half mile) has all your basics like fast food and big box stores. California, while indeed a college town, really has a poor selection of places but there are a couple to get tanked (and otherwise) in.

My best honest advice would be to make some "friends of like mind" that are local and follow their lead. Good luck and welcome to the valley!

Unread 04-13-2008, 11:19 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the advice, and it's good to know there's public transportation to (and I'm guessing, from) Pittsburgh. I don't have a car, and will most likely be getting a bike and riding it to get to where I need to go in Monessen.

Unread 04-13-2008, 11:24 PM

46,822 posts, read 41,270,422 times
if you are invincible bagdad has got some career opportunities you would not believe.
my favorite is the RN program, pay a lot better than makeup too.

Unread 04-13-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if you are invincible bagdad has got some career opportunities you would not believe.
my favorite is the RN program, pay a lot better than makeup too.
Yeah, but the chicks in the States are way hotter.

And I plan on making the big bucks, thank you very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh