Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 01:16 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,945,356 times

Advertisements

I lived in Deutschtown (Avery St.) from 1986 to 1999 and loved it. The house was a three-story row house that had foot-thick walls that couldn't be replicated today. It had been rehabbed before we bought it. The North Side was originally a separate city called Allegheny until 1907 and was a prosperous area of business owners and industrialists and had grander housing than the more working class areas like South Side or Lawrenceville.

The neighborhood back then was not as far along as it is now, but we had the old timers on the street who knew everything that went on, and young people who had moved to the area from other cities, so it was a nice mix. There is a vibrant neighborhood association that has been instrumental in the improvements and maintaining the historical character of the neighborhood.

Since I moved, they have built a lot of infill housing in the vacant lots and the neighborhood has come a long way. On-street parking was not a problem - we all knew where we should be parking. The only parking problems we had were on Steeler game days when suburbanites would get off the 279 exit ramp and park in the neighborhood to avoid paying for parking at the stadium.

For walking, it can't be beat. You can walk to downtown in 15 minutes. Decent business district, the park is right there, and highway access is nearby. Since you're in the center of town, it's easy to get to other parts of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 03:03 PM

3,707 posts, read 2,658,232 times
Nice thing about Pittsburgh is you can walk or bike to/from all of the above neighborhoods if you are relatively healthy. McCardle Rd is fun. Just watch for landslides

Old 01-15-2019, 11:54 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,631,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Of the neighborhoods listed, I would only live in Deutschtown and MWS. Beautiful housing stock, great location, cultural institutions and rapidly gentrifying. If you plan on buying, Northside property values are soaring. Mt Washington has pretty shabby housing, once you get away from the million dollar homes on Grandview. Southside has all the cons of living in a nightlife destination, without actually offering interesting nightlife. Appears to be trending down.
Agreed.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:00 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,631,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans19 View Post
Thank you all so much for your input and insight. It is exactly the type of information I was looking. The houses in each neighborhood are roughly of equal price and quality, some bigger than others. We were leaning more towards Deutschtown and reading comments here is affirming. It is indeed west of the highway. We live in Oakland, CA so we are now somewhat jaded towards crime and dodgy areas but remain vigilant. When visiting, we plan to park our car at the potential house and map out the business district/shops and walk. Thanks again!
I moved to Pittsburgh from San Francisco in Dec 2012. I think you'll like it. I'm happy with my decision to put down roots here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh