Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 01:05 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
That Pittsburghers are friendly.
I can't say I find the majority of Pittsburghers friendly, or unfriendly. I would describe a lot of people I meet as somewhat detached, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 01:18 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,490 times
It is all relative, I find the majority of folks here friendly but I grew up in NJ so outside of NYC there isn't many places to go where people are less friendly for me. To be fair it is not really being unfriendly just a different mindset. Lives seem to be much faster place so NJ/NY people dont have time for the common pleasantries and cut to the chase mostly.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:35 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I can't say I find the majority of Pittsburghers friendly, or unfriendly. I would describe a lot of people I meet as somewhat detached, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
I grew up in Lancaster County.. Swiss-German Mennonite culture.
We are detached...

The culture here is very different. My culture is very much a leave-everyone-alone culture - very detached. However, there is a code that you don't make things difficult for other people - and you certainly don't do anything to impede on them enjoying their own property. There's a strong, unwritten, sense of fair play.

Here, the people are faster to engage you in conversation - and faster to respond to attempts to begin a conversation. However, people in Pittsburgh tend to believe that they're the salt of the Earth. I find the culture here to be extremely rude.

People in Pittsburgh will treat you as rudely as they please. But if you protest their rude treatment, they don't stop or apologize - they become upset because you called them on it. Pittsburghers are very entitled people, who think very highly of themselves, and have surprisingly thin skins.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:33 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Good thread idea! Did you do this thread in the Cleveland and/or other city forums? If so, could you post links?
I did a similar post about Cleveland stereotypes and what the misconceptions about the Coasts, South and Midwest.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:34 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
That everyone here loves the Steelers?
I thought Pittsburgh was draped heavy in black and yellow? Lol 😂 jk. Who's your favorite team(s)?

Old 01-21-2019, 05:51 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I grew up in Lancaster County.. Swiss-German Mennonite culture.
We are detached...

The culture here is very different. My culture is very much a leave-everyone-alone culture - very detached. However, there is a code that you don't make things difficult for other people - and you certainly don't do anything to impede on them enjoying their own property. There's a strong, unwritten, sense of fair play.

Here, the people are faster to engage you in conversation - and faster to respond to attempts to begin a conversation. However, people in Pittsburgh tend to believe that they're the salt of the Earth. I find the culture here to be extremely rude.

People in Pittsburgh will treat you as rudely as they please. But if you protest their rude treatment, they don't stop or apologize - they become upset because you called them on it. Pittsburghers are very entitled people, who think very highly of themselves, and have surprisingly thin skins.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I had two arguments with local people after I called them out on their behavior. The cursing and screaming these professional people gave me was horrendous and I was really shocked that people in two public positions could actually do that.

One was a contractor who dumped concrete on my property as he was making an outside fireplace for a neighbor. You could clearly see the red sand crossing the road and onto our property. I called him and the customer out on it and boy was I sorry. Really in hind sight, I should have called the cops and have them cited for illegal dumping. This was after I requested that this development stop dumping their grass cuttings on our property three times as the town sent us a letter stating that we were to clean up the property of the grass clippings, hay bales, and other yard debris which was not ours at all or face $500 fines. Sorry would have gone a long way from these people.

The second was just a silly little thing but it was very hurtful. My son was in Ft Benning as he signed up for the National Guard and was there all summer. Well, his high school football team was having their senior picture taken and of course he was not there. I asked two people if they could photo shop him into the pic and they said yes of course. The theme of the picture was band of brothers. Well the picture came out and no pic of my son. I called them out on their promise and they quickly said that it was proof that I had seen and not the proper picture but if I could get them a picture of my son by 12 that day, it could be fixed. I did that and the next day I called to thank the person. Well, she cursed and screamed at me. All she had to say was the truth ; we forgot and sorry. Thats all. But no. She had to scream and tell me how hard she volunteers for the team etc etc etc.

The one thing that really bothered me was that when my son came back from basic training and started his senior year at high school, not one football coach shook his hand. Not one. So much for saying they are patriotic and supporting the troops. Its all for show ; thats all. Appearances are so important.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:29 AM

716 posts, read 765,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
However, people in Pittsburgh tend to believe that they're the salt of the Earth. I find the culture here to be extremely rude.

You're describing people in every larger northeastern working class city or city neighborhood I've lived in: Brooklyn, Jersey City, South Philly.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:51 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Random Acts of Rudeness, it's a Burgh thing!

Old 01-21-2019, 07:21 AM

755 posts, read 472,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
You're describing people in every larger northeastern working class city or city neighborhood I've lived in: Brooklyn, Jersey City, South Philly.
Having moved here from upstate NY and having extensive contact with downstate NY I would agrre with this. I find people here to be outspoken but not unusually rude. Pretty typical of northeastern cities of similar size.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:33 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
That people in Pittsburgh constantly wear team clothing and everyone loves the Steelers though I think the under 40 crowd fits this more than the over 40 one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh