Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,371 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am possibly taking a job at a hospital in downtown Pittsburgh. I'm a single parent and currently live in Erie. My kids are elementary school age. I want to know the best neighborhoods and school districts around the area. What typical rent would be for a three bedroom house/apartment. Currently we have a great daycare system that the daycare will bus the kids to and from school so ideally I would love to find something like that. Any information about moving to Pittsburgh would be great! (good or bad haha) Thankyou!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 07:08 PM

14,362 posts, read 16,946,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraj1212 View Post
Hi everyone! I am possibly taking a job at a hospital in downtown Pittsburgh. I'm a single parent and currently live in Erie. My kids are elementary school age. I want to know the best neighborhoods and school districts around the area. What typical rent would be for a three bedroom house/apartment. Currently we have a great daycare system that the daycare will bus the kids to and from school so ideally I would love to find something like that. Any information about moving to Pittsburgh would be great! (good or bad haha) Thankyou!
There's no hospital in downtown Pittsburgh. Are you using Downtown to mean the city? You should be more specific about which hospital it is to give us a better sense of what part of town makes sense for you.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:04 AM

3,707 posts, read 2,663,977 times
Also what's your budget? Last hospital that was downtown was Central Medical near the arena I think...and that closed a long time ago.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,371 times
Yes I am referring to the city. Budget for rent would be 1350.00 and under.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Yes I am referring to the city. Budget for rent would be 1350.00 and under.
Again, where in the city? Makes a difference when considering commutes and the like.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:39 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,929,221 times
Something seems off, here

Old 02-08-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I guess I'm not sure how you're misunderstanding my post. Clearly I'm not from Pittsburgh. I am not sure what neighborhood hence why I'm asking for information about the city. The job is with VA medical center off university dr. I'm just looking for info on good/bad schools or neighborhoods, daycare centers. It doesn't have to be right near my job. I'm just wanting to know what are good areas and school districts.
Okay, it's Oakland, that helps a lot. I presume that access to the parking garage is included as part of the terms of your employment? Parking in Oakland is extremely scarce/expensive if you don't have a dedicated space available - arguably worse than downtown. Still, healthcare workers work odd hours, so I am guessing you will want to drive to work most of the time, rather than use transit.

One of the reasons it was important to find out where you lived is because of the location of Oakland. Oakland is to the east of downtown by a bit. Thus you don't want to live somewhere to the west of the city (like say Robinson - out near the airport) because you'll have to go through downtown rush hour traffic in order to get back and forth from work.

One option to consider is just living in the city. Squirrel Hill has very good schools, and you would have a very short commute (like 15-20 minutes or so by car). Something like this could work for you. Alternately you could rent in Greenfield, which has an elementary school which is also quite good. The southern half of Oakland itself goes to Greenfield K-8, but it's kinda a student-dominated area, which I'm not sure you'd feel comfortable with.

Suburbs east of the city generally have worse public schools than the city itself unless you go pretty far out (like to Monroeville/Plum) so I'm not sure you'd want to look in that direction, even though it makes the most sense from a commute standpoint.

North of the city somewhere in Fox Chapel School District - like Sharpsburg or Aspinwall - could work. Top rated school district and very well funded. A lot of the remainder of the North Hills is more convenient for downtown commuters than Oakland commuters, so I wouldn't really consider it.

South of the city a lot of the better school districts are further to the west, making them not good from a commute standpoint. Somewhere like Whitehall, Baldwin, or Castle Shannon might work for you, but those really aren't top districts, more middle of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh