Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 08:52 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
BNY Mellon reviewing work from home policy. Will the bank shed class A office space in downtown?

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...angements.html
Other companies that have been reviewing WFH arrangements, Yahoo! and I believe IBM, actually are having employees come back into the office, not increasing those that can WFH.

As someone who doesn’t enjoy working from home, I have to say that having co-located or co-workers that WFH can be frustrating. Yes we have technology that makes it easier, but there is something to be said for face to face interaction, and there are many times when technology fails. Instead of just having a team meeting in a conference room, we have to dial in, wait for everyone to get set up, and then there are echos, dropped calls, frozen video, and a multitude of issues that pop up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 03:17 AM

615 posts, read 393,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Other companies that have been reviewing WFH arrangements, Yahoo! and I believe IBM, actually are having employees come back into the office, not increasing those that can WFH.

As someone who doesn’t enjoy working from home, I have to say that having co-located or co-workers that WFH can be frustrating. Yes we have technology that makes it easier, but there is something to be said for face to face interaction, and there are many times when technology fails. Instead of just having a team meeting in a conference room, we have to dial in, wait for everyone to get set up, and then there are echos, dropped calls, frozen video, and a multitude of issues that pop up.
Most companies will still be headed towards the work remote style than not. The savings on office costs are huge. It was smart for downtown to go towards more residential. We probably won’t see the office occupancy exceed 90 percent in downtown again unless some of the existing office space is taken and used for residential. There seems to be a greater demand for offices in greater downtown( north shore/strip), Oakland as well as Washington County and the northern suburbs. I don’t see 29 dollar sq ft rents in downtown sustainable.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:26 AM

PA ranks 27 out of 50 for job growth. PA job growth is more robust than all surrounding states other than Ohio and New Jersey. Seeing Maryland and New York rank so low is a surprise. The west, southwest and south is going gangbusters.

Remarkable that New Hampshire has the highest growth in the Northeast. Ohio leads the Midwest

Little old West Virginia is 39 out of 50. positive we are not last.

https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvan...n-jobs-growth/

Last edited by pittsburghaccuweather; 03-05-2019 at 03:59 AM..

Old 03-05-2019, 10:22 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
BNY Mellon reviewing work from home policy. Will the bank shed class A office space in downtown?

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...angements.html
Fail at understanding this...

As someone who actually knows people who work there, I can say that they're not encouraging people to work from home more, but LESS. The people I know used to get to work from home several times a month but are now being limited to occasional use. As someone who is allowed to work at home for their company, it has its pros and cons but overall I'd rather go into the office a majority of the time.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Fail at understanding this...

As someone who actually knows people who work there, I can say that they're not encouraging people to work from home more, but LESS. The people I know used to get to work from home several times a month but are now being limited to occasional use. As someone who is allowed to work at home for their company, it has its pros and cons but overall I'd rather go into the office a majority of the time.
I’m sure that isn’t helping morale. Allowing people to work remote and then cut it is like trying to put a genie back into the bottle. BNY will need to adapt if they want to stay relevant into the future. They aren’t the only ones either. Most jobs in offices throughout downtowns in the US could probably be work remote. Whether you like it or agree with it or not the future workforce is headed that way. BNY would save tons on rent. It would also relieve traffic and put more money in their workers wallets. No more pay to park or bus fare.

And in my opinion Paying 30 dollars per sq foot for office space in a downtown to a city that isn’t one of the top 50 largest anymore in the country is insane. I don’t know how you can justify it. Especially when the whole Pittsburgh metro rent average for all office classes is under 20 bucks a sq ft.

The future of downtowns across America will be residential and giving people a reason to stay or play there. It isn’t building 30 story skyscrapers for worker cubicles.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:54 AM

179 posts, read 106,782 times
Quote:
They posted an article today about small towns and their central business district. Co share working space for new job growth in walkable small town communities. I believe the towns with existing business district like I mentioned above will be then next investment boom with housing and places where people want to live. Greensburg, New Kensington, Washington, Wheeling, Weirton, Steubenville and McKeesport are a few Pittsburgh metro towns that fit this profile.

https://triblive.com/features/more-l...-empty-spaces/

'Small-Town America Has Big-Time Potential for Economic Growth' | Business | harrisondaily.com
There was an article about new businesses and the streetscape project in Ambridge a few days ago:

Quote:
AMBRIDGE — Although it’s not scheduled to be completed until this summer, the borough’s streetscape enhancement project is already attracting new businesses to Ambridge.

Borough Manager Joe Kauer said Thursday that two new businesses have already come to Merchant Street, including a video game store and a pet store. He added that a third business — a new microbrewery in the 400 block — is in the preliminary stages.

The streetscape enhancement project, which began in August, includes massive improvements to Merchant Street between Fourth and Eighth streets.

Specifically, the program involves sidewalk and curb improvements, the removal of overhead utility lines, the rebuilding of stormwater sewers, parking-lot improvements, new street lighting and landscaping and the construction of a new park in the middle of town.

After the project wraps up this summer, Merchant Street will be repaved.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shift View Post
There was an article about new businesses and the streetscape project in Ambridge a few days ago:
Congrats on this again. Interesting how I posted about Williams lea tag adding 100 more jobs in downtown Wheeling and development going on in nearby Weirton which is all considered Pittsburgh CSA and my response is deleted. This thread is Pittsburgh area companies adding jobs Yet, this thread has been totally derailed by trying to legimize moving to Esplen. And those posts remain

Old 03-07-2019, 04:16 PM

5,335 posts, read 4,423,566 times
This thread is closed for review by Yac.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:28 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
16 deleted posts later, I would like to ask you guys to please get back on topic and stop taking bait from those whose sole purpose is derailing the thread.
Yac.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:55 AM

369 posts, read 462,596 times
Default GE's Charleroi plant poised for an influx of 100 new employees

This one stands out because this consolidation will result in a transfer of jobs from the sunbelt, not the usual vice-versa; and to the Mon Valley no less.

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/201911190136
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh