U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 10:31 AM

4,508 posts, read 3,993,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWalker View Post

I've lived in cities my entire life, its just a preference to live in one. I don't mind a 2.5 hour commute to and from work if i can still live in a city.

Perish the thought! A commute like that is a real hardship and unsustainable in the long term and then there is the hazard of winter driving. Suggest living in Wheeling Mon-Friday and then spending the weekends in the Burgh. You can find a studio apartment there for a reasonable price or maybe share an apartment.

See what Pocono to New York City commuters (1.5 to 2 hours each way) say about a long commute.

NY to PA move, Commute PA to NY for work
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 10:35 AM

1,583 posts, read 590,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Perish the thought! A commute like that is a real hardship and unsustainable in the long term and then there is the hazard of winter driving. Suggest living in Wheeling Mon-Friday and then spending the weekends in the Burgh. You can find a studio apartment there for a reasonable price or maybe share an apartment.

See what Pocono to New York City commuters (1.5 to 2 hours each way) say about a long commute.

NY to PA move, Commute PA to NY for work

Its actually a pretty common issue long term for much of NJ for a commute that long. I know/knew many people who lived in south NJ and commuted to NY. Various reasons and not saying I would want to but its also common.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:05 AM

2,109 posts, read 1,776,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
I like Carnegie for you too. But understand that it is an older area, from a housing stock/infrastructure standpoint, that is on an upswing, but doesn't compare (yet) to the more active areas in the city proper (Shadyside, Lawrenceville, East Liberty/Garfield, Bloomfield, Oakland, South Side, etc.). Problem for you is that any of the city neighborhoods are going to present pretty bad traffic scenarios getting to the main routes to Wheeling. But if you are determined to live in a city neighborhood, maybe downtown (or even Strip District) might actually be a good choice with the "reverse commute". Perhaps others, more familiar with these traffic flows can comment on this option.

Welcome and good luck!
Anything on the north side of the Fort Pitt Tunnel is going to add considerable time to the afternoon commute. Morning commute should not be terrible, though it won't be great, if going in "reverse". The only city neighborhood I would recommend (hesitantly) is Mt. Washington. Otherwise, Carnegie sounds like the next best option if you prefer to live near the city.

Lawrenceville, Strip District, and the various Northside neighborhoods are likely going to be better commutes than interior East End neighborhoods. Of these, I would think the neighborhoods in Northside would be easier commutes than the strip or L-ville. If you live in Shadyside, Bloomfield, or East Liberty, expect it to be commonplace to have a 90+ minute commute home.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:06 PM

2,860 posts, read 2,404,925 times
Maybe you can get a tesla and sleep on your commute.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BjHpBFPz2xI

Old 05-10-2019, 12:08 PM

436 posts, read 252,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWalker View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm a single-male young professional in my early 30s with no kids. I currently live in DC. I possibly have a job offer located in Wheeling, WV. However, I'd strongly prefer not to live there and would strongly prefer living in Pittsburgh. My commute to/from work here in DC is about 45 minutes with traffic, so the Google Maps estimate of an hour drive from Pittsburgh to Wheeling doesn't bother me.

My question is where can I live in Pittsburgh that's renovated, social, full of people my age/working status, walkable, and with decent access to whatever highways will take me southwest to Wheeling?

Thank you for you help!
Question for you: we live on the east end of the City of Pittsburgh, and love Wheeling. Why don't you want to live there? I love city life, but if I could find a good career in Wheeling, we would be there in a second.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:09 PM

4,332 posts, read 6,449,571 times
I get that you would prefer to live in Pittsburgh but that is a pretty tough commute. If I were doing it I would be in my car by 6 and leaving the office at 5:45-6 to try and minimize traffic.

I also think that you won't be happy in many of these areas suggested by the other posters. Kind of sounds like you really would only like Downtown, Lawrenceville, Shadyside and East Liberty. South Side isn't bad but visually is it is gritty.

Maybe try a short term rental downtown to see if you can stomach the commute. That way you can move closer if you need to.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:37 PM

2,963 posts, read 2,331,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I get that you would prefer to live in Pittsburgh but that is a pretty tough commute. If I were doing it I would be in my car by 6 and leaving the office at 5:45-6 to try and minimize traffic.

I also think that you won't be happy in many of these areas suggested by the other posters. Kind of sounds like you really would only like Downtown, Lawrenceville, Shadyside and East Liberty. South Side isn't bad but visually is it is gritty.

Maybe try a short term rental downtown to see if you can stomach the commute. That way you can move closer if you need to.
Why would a single 30 something not be happy living near Shiloh Street? There are some good bars/restaurants, a grocery store, a liquor store and you can easily get to other parts of town and highways from there.

I believe the OP came here looking for neighborhoods suggestions, not everyone telling them they are crazy for the commute. It's an hour fifteen, with a lot of open roads...which is mentally comparable to 45 mins in traffic.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:49 PM

13,227 posts, read 13,453,899 times
Yeah, I'm drawing a blank here to come up with better suggestions than you have already been given. I wouldn't want that commute, but then again once you're established in the area you can look for jobs more locally, so the Wheeling job wouldn't have to be permanent.

Wheeling does actually have a semi-cool little neighborhood immediately south of Downtown called Center Wheeling. It's has an independent movie theater, a few breweries, at least one coffeeshop, antique shops, some bars, a bookstore, a few galleries, etc. Lots of cool old 19th century architecture if you're in to that sort of thing. Downtown Wheeling itself is kinda run down and dead though.

There's really only two municipalities of any size between the outer reaches of "Pittsburgh" and Wheeling - Steubenville,OH and Washington PA. If I had to pick between the two I'd pick "little Washington" as it has some life to it between being the historic county seat and being something of a college town. More going on than Wheeling overall, although it's more spread out across the whole downtown area rather than packed in a couple blocks, and it's a run-down small city overall.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:56 PM

2,860 posts, read 2,404,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Why would a single 30 something not be happy living near Shiloh Street? There are some good bars/restaurants, a grocery store, a liquor store and you can easily get to other parts of town and highways from there.

I believe the OP came here looking for neighborhoods suggestions, not everyone telling them they are crazy for the commute. It's an hour fifteen, with a lot of open roads...which is mentally comparable to 45 mins in traffic.
The gps says the commute time at 1:50 pm today is 1 hour 23 minutes, i am curious what that time will be at 5 pm.

The op could consider bridgeville or carnegie. They are closer to wheeling and close enough to the city for going out a few nights a week. Bridgeville is a very walkable neighborhood with many amenities and reasonable rents.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:26 PM

2,963 posts, read 2,331,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
The gps says the commute time at 1:50 pm today is 1 hour 23 minutes, i am curious what that time will be at 5 pm.

The op could consider bridgeville or carnegie. They are closer to wheeling and close enough to the city for going out a few nights a week. Bridgeville is a very walkable neighborhood with many amenities and reasonable rents.
Departing Wheeling at 5 pm, it says 1 hour to 1 hour 25 mins.

Also, what streets/area are you saying are like that in Bridgeville? Not denying it, just curious as I am 100% unfamiliar with that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh