U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2019, 08:37 PM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,598 posts, read 20,531,045 times
Reputation: 13663

Advertisements

I would look at Lawrenceville, the South Side and the Shady Side/East Liberty areas. I don't know why people care about an extra 5 minutes?? Who cares? The difference between Mt. Washington and the places I mention is nothing. You will be leaving early to work most likely and beat traffic, not to mention you will be leaving the city, so traffic isn't an issue much. Look at the fun areas and forget the extra little bit of time in your commute.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2019, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Lawrenceville, Pittsburgh
2,109 posts, read 1,777,112 times
Reputation: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I would look at Lawrenceville, the South Side and the Shady Side/East Liberty areas. I don't know why people care about an extra 5 minutes?? Who cares? The difference between Mt. Washington and the places I mention is nothing. You will be leaving early to work most likely and beat traffic, not to mention you will be leaving the city, so traffic isn't an issue much. Look at the fun areas and forget the extra little bit of time in your commute.
During rush hour, the difference between getting to Lawrenceville or Shadyside rather than Mt. Washington would likely be around 30 minutes. It isn't very fair to characterize this as 5 minutes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2019, 09:50 PM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,598 posts, read 20,531,045 times
Reputation: 13663
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
During rush hour, the difference between getting to Lawrenceville or Shadyside rather than Mt. Washington would likely be around 30 minutes. It isn't very fair to characterize this as 5 minutes.
Um, maybe on a bicycle. That is ridiculous. Jump on 28 in the very early morning and you're gone. People are acting like he is leaving at a normal rush hour time. He is driving to Wheeling. There is no rush hour for him.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Lawrenceville, Pittsburgh
2,109 posts, read 1,777,112 times
Reputation: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Um, maybe on a bicycle. That is ridiculous. Jump on 28 in the very early morning and you're gone. People are acting like he is leaving at a normal rush hour time. He is driving to Wheeling. There is no rush hour for him.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, the evening rush is the real problem. I lived in Shadyside for four years from 2012 to 2016 and commuted Downtown for two years and to Greentree for two years, oftentimes by car. I can assure you, my very edge of downtown to Shadyside return commute was 25-30 minutes most days and the Greentree to Shadyside commute was often 45 minutes, depending on the time I left and the traffic / time of year. The part of the commute requiring you to go through Oakland is not pleasant, especially during the fall and spring semesters.

Similarly, I have lived in Lawrenceville not far from Children's for the past three years. I no longer commute daily to the west, as I work in East Liberty and walk/bike more frequently, however the times I am west of Lawrenceville during the evening rush, it regularly takes 20+ minutes to get from downtown to Butler and 40th. Here you might be able to save some time by using Bigelow, but the Bloomfield Bridge is often backed up all the way across during the evening rush.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 09:26 AM
 
4,513 posts, read 3,997,082 times
Reputation: 4429
The OP hasn't responded in some time. Methinks he's decided to forego taking the Wheeling job. Greater DC is where the real action is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Brookline
2,963 posts, read 2,331,732 times
Reputation: 3538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The OP hasn't responded in some time. Methinks he's decided to forego taking the Wheeling job. Greater DC is where the real action is.
Or he simply reads the responses that actually pertain to his question about what city neighborhoods would be best, and decides not to reply to the non-stop discussion of how his own thoughts are wrong and he doesn't really know what is best for him.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
6,304 posts, read 7,933,907 times
Reputation: 3960
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
As I mentioned in my earlier post, the evening rush is the real problem. I lived in Shadyside for four years from 2012 to 2016 and commuted Downtown for two years and to Greentree for two years, oftentimes by car. I can assure you, my very edge of downtown to Shadyside return commute was 25-30 minutes most days and the Greentree to Shadyside commute was often 45 minutes, depending on the time I left and the traffic / time of year. The part of the commute requiring you to go through Oakland is not pleasant, especially during the fall and spring semesters.

Similarly, I have lived in Lawrenceville not far from Children's for the past three years. I no longer commute daily to the west, as I work in East Liberty and walk/bike more frequently, however the times I am west of Lawrenceville during the evening rush, it regularly takes 20+ minutes to get from downtown to Butler and 40th. Here you might be able to save some time by using Bigelow, but the Bloomfield Bridge is often backed up all the way across during the evening rush.
As a former Lawrenceville resident, it's an absolute joke for how long it takes to get to the neighborhood from Downtown. I live further away from Downtown now than I did then, and I get home faster.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 10:44 AM
 
Location: O'Hara Twp.
4,332 posts, read 6,451,128 times
Reputation: 1597
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Why would a single 30 something not be happy living near Shiloh Street? There are some good bars/restaurants, a grocery store, a liquor store and you can easily get to other parts of town and highways from there.

I believe the OP came here looking for neighborhoods suggestions, not everyone telling them they are crazy for the commute. It's an hour fifteen, with a lot of open roads...which is mentally comparable to 45 mins in traffic.

I just get the impression that the OP will want more than a few bars and restaurants. Lawrenceville is a "trendy" neighborhood. Same goes for East Libety, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 10:46 AM
 
4,513 posts, read 3,997,082 times
Reputation: 4429
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Or he simply reads the responses that actually pertain to his question about what city neighborhoods would be best, and decides not to reply to the non-stop discussion of how his own thoughts are wrong and he doesn't really know what is best for him.

Many posters have pointed out that a daily commute to Wheeling from the Burgh is a hardship. There are many posts in the NEPA sub forum from people wanting to move to the Poconos and commute to work in New York City. Testimony from commuters who actually do the commute and those who have given up on it were not given to disrespect the OPs' sincere wishes but to save them from a nightmare.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 10:57 AM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,598 posts, read 20,531,045 times
Reputation: 13663
There are people commuting from wheeling to Pittsburgh. The commute the other way is easier. Live in the cool parts of Pittsburgh. 5 or 10 minutes is no big deal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:12 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top