U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 09:16 AM

31,205 posts, read 69,460,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Gettysburg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Gettysburg for the history and cool town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Cool and walkable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shift View Post
Gettysburg has enough to do for a 3 day weekend hiking the battlefields, the guided tours, and the visitor's center, and it's a nice little town.
GETTYSBURG POSTS: Thanks to all four of you. I may decide to do a "home base"-styled trip sometime where I stay perhaps in York and then day-trip to Gettysburg, Harrisburg, and Hershey there on separate days for a long weekend sometime. I'll keep that in mind for the future. I'm a native of Eastern PA, so I've been to all of these places. My ex is from Lancaster County so I'm going to intentionally avoid visiting that area again going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Lake Chautauqua, a lot of great little bars, restaurants, the Institute, water sports, hiking and biking. Not a lot of closed in spaces, you may not like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I don't think I would recommend that during Labor Day weekend. Might be better off going to a city since cities won't feel the crowds like a place like Chautauqua. It is nice though.
CHAUTAUQUA POSTS: Yeah. Looking more into the Lake Chautauqua area I'm feeling as if it's going to be crowded on a holiday weekend and might be better-suited for a non-holiday weekend trip. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I previously just assumed this area was the institution and not much else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I grew up spending weekends and summers at our family camp in Wilcox, right outside of Kane. My great grandfather helped build Kinzua Dam and our camp was built out of the lumber that was used to frame the concrete. Kinzua Bridge was always a great adventure as a child, and I was really saddened to see it's collapse. St. Mary's is a decent stop too as they have the Straub Brewery, and really the whole area has some really interesting towns tuck far back into the country. Oh, and I'll never forget driving past the paper mill in Johnsonburg and the smell!
PA WILDS POST: That's wonderful. Thanks for the backstory. Kane is actually undergoing quite a nice little renaissance as of late. There's a couple of cheap AirBNB rentals and small motels nearby, so I would probably plan to use Kane as a home base instead of Brookville to see the Kinzua Bridge State Park, Warren, Cook Forest, etc. I feel like Kane is better-located to these areas than Brookville. If we can swing it financially I may want to do a regular weekend trip up there in late-October for the foliage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Try Winchester, VA. Really quaint town with a cool museum of the Shanandoah Valley and a botanical garden. Great hiking nearby too, as I recall.

You're also not too far from Harrisonburg (JMU), Staunton (Globe Theater) and eventually Charlottesville (about 5 hrs). If you don't want to go all the way to C'ville, along the way to Winchester you can visit Cumberland and side trip to Harpers Ferry and Shepherdstown, WV. All great, unique little towns full of history. Very slow-paced, too.

I LOVE driving down I-81. It just gets prettier and prettier the farther south you go. Abingdon in far SW VA is supposed to be a charming little town, but it is quite a distance farther than you are saying you want to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Weird you mention that, I was going to as well. There is plenty around and you are close to some nice nature, honestly I've spent a good deal of time there but for work (FEMA has some larger offices there) but not so much for fun.

I'd also recommend the Maryland/DC trips. I go out that way as well for meetings and you can be in DC in 4 hrs if you time it right. Lots to do there and most of the museum stuff is free, good food too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shift View Post
Winchester, VA is a cool place too, and is accessible to the the closer parts of Shenendoah National Park and Harper's Ferry. If you stayed in Front Royal (or camped in the park itself) you could get to every part of the park easily.

Davis/Thomas, WV are close to Blackwater Falls State Park and Dolly Sods. Not big towns, but they have coffee shops and diners.
WESTERN MD/EASTERN PANHANDLE OF WV/UPPER SHENANDOAH VALLEY OF VA POSTS: Winchester is fantastic. I used to live in Fairfax County, VA and spent a lot of time in Winchester because it reminded me so much of PA with the scenic setting, the older architecture, the mixture of old-money and blue-collar neighborhoods, etc. I love the Apple Blossom Festival. The downtown pedestrian mall is great.

I'm considering using Cumberland as a home base for some long weekend. We can stop in Frostburg en route or on the way home from Cumberland. We can visit Shepherdstown and Harper's Ferry on another day from Cumberland, too. Maybe a day-trip from there to Frederick, too. I took the Historic National Road (U.S. Route 40) from Uniontown to Cumberland last year when I needed to clear my mind and spent several hours exploring Cumberland on foot. Cute city.

I'm very intrigued by Davis, WV and Thomas, WV. That's EXACTLY what I had in mind---good hiking, fresh air, but still close enough to a town large enough for a coffee shop, gas station, and/or restaurant and whatnot.

Quote:
Yes. We spent a long weekend there last summer just out of curiosity. Really nice city with REALLY nice people. Totally different feel from Pittsburgh. In fact, upon returning, I said to my wife, "now I know exactly where the Midwest starts"! Actually, I think the two cities totally compliment one another. Short North and German Village were our two favorite (along with everyone else it seemed) areas. Their public market is really awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The Midwest starts at Zanesville.
Quote:
Zanesville itself was depressing. But the Zane Grey/National Road museum on Rt 40 was awesome. Talk about lost history. The guy who showed us around (I wish I could recall his name) was wonderful. Burly guy with a grey beard. Really interesting, and mostly forgotten, history of a time and place that was pivotal (that is until the railroads came) in the making of America/westward expansion, settlement, the Pony Express, and on and on. We need to send Rick Sebak there. ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I agree with Charley Barker that Columbus is where the Midwest truly begins. Heading west, there is a series of dips as you descend from the hills of southeastern Ohio, and suddenly, there is a vast flatness in front of you, as you approach the Columbus region. This has always felt like the gateway to the Midwest to me. Unlike Cleveland, Detroit, etc., there is no competing, (and probably more accurate) Great Lakes Region identity to the region. It's purely Midwestern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Tom's Ice Cream Bowl! A place stuck in time since 1953. A bucket list place.
COLUMBUS/ZANESVILLE POSTS: I'm strongly leaning towards Columbus for Columbus Day weekend. My partner is off for Columbus Day. I am not, but I have a lot of PTO accrued, so I could take that Monday off with no issues. I've heard Columbus goes all out for Columbus Day. Might be cool. I've taken the National Road (U.S. Route 40) between Washington, PA and Wheeling, WV before, but it might be cool to take it further west then all the way to Columbus. I believe parts of it hop off and on I-70 anyways. Zanesville is probably like a Johnstown---declining older post-Industrial city in a scenic setting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo
You must win a lot of purses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
Seconding Toronto. It's an amazing city with so much to offer. I'd also recommend stopping in Hamilton on your way back. They call it the Pittsburgh of Canada, and the parallels are apparent as soon as you get there. An old industrial town that has reinvented itself with top-tier education (McMaster University). The city is obsessed with its CFL team (Tiger Cats). They host their rival Toronto on Labor Day, and I highly suggest going to the game. I went to that one a couple of years ago and had a blast. Even the city's colors are black and yellow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I agree. A nice area for sure.

SCR, I also suggest Toronto. Travel time is about 5-6 hours.
You dont have to drive into Toronto though. Sleep outside the city somewhere. You can take the 'GO Train' into the city (to Union Station). https://www.gotransit.com/static_fil...19/Table01.pdf

You'll want the 'Lakeshore West' line. You can park at the GO stations for free.

If you go Labor Day weekend, the Canadian National Exhibition will be going on: https://theex.com/

In Toronto, I recommend:
Royal Ontario Museum
Art Gallery of Ontario
Kensington Market
Queen's Park/University of Toronto campus
Natan Phillips Square - I believe that the old city hall was designed by the same architect who did the Allegheny County Courthouse
Eaton Centre is worth walking through
Church & Wellesley is the gayborhood
If you or your partner are a fan of the Boondock Saints cult-classic movie, it was filmed in Toronto. The bar in the film is McVeigh's on Church & Richmond. Good place for a drink!
I also like the Jersey Giant Pub on Front & Church. St Lawrence Market is very close.
The Distillery District
CN Tower is kind of a must-do, though pricey and hella crowded. The glass floor is an interesting experience.
I'd recommend skipping Casa Loma. It's out of the way, and you get a very similar experience at Phipps here in Pgh.

Take a ferry out to the Toronto Islands. The ride is short (15-20 minutes) and gives a great view of downtown. Centre Island is a bit crowded sometimes - there is a small amusement park there for kids. There are plenty of paths though, and there are bicycle rentals. Once you're away from Centreville/Centre Island, the islands become much more peaceful.

Hope this helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I was going to suggest Toronto too. If one has no problem with the drive to Niagara Falls, it's well worth the extra hour of driving to get to Toronto. It is the closest city of such a size to Pittsburgh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I agree with this. I honestly feel more at home in Southern Ontario than many other parts of our own country.

And yes, SCR, Toronto has grown immensely in the last 14 years. Just compare this Google Streetview image where you can look at 2011 vs just in September.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6383...7i16384!8i8192
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Toronto is great, they have a phenomenal aquarium that i took my family to while there. When i wanted to get away for a long weekend i always went to seven springs, they have nice hotel packages

https://www.7springs.com/lodging/summer-packages/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Toronto is beyond fabulous. Columbus is nice, but is close enough to do on a short weekend, or even just an overnight. Take advantage of the extra day and go to Toronto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
there is no reasonable expectation on the amount of time driving to and from toronto. the volumes between Hamilton and toronto are incredible. i had been there several times for business and for family since 2017. i had never seen such a long ribbon of cars moving, then stopping, then moving along the 401 and other highways, like a slinky, for hours...yes, 3 hours to get from North York to Burlington one time (granted it was probably not typical for a sunday).

toronto is not a shabby choice, but please be warned - it is better suited for when you will have more time than a weekend. otherwise, so much time will be lost driving there.

i hate toronto, but admit it is a viable destination for people who like cities and urban life. you will probably enjoy the gay village, which is a festive, solid neighborhood. but i strongly suggest you keeping it simple - its a 3 day weekend, right? forget anything beyond niagara falls is my humble suggestion. i would want nothing more than to hear you had a wonderful, relaxing, fun weekend free of snags.
Quote:
The GO Train is much preferable to driving the QEW.

I agree with you in the sense that a previous poster said it was an extra hour from Niagara to Toronto.
In my experience, its been more like 1.5-2 hours.
And you can't drive ridiculously fast on the QEW - there are signs warning of STEEP penalties (ie - car seizure and $10k fine) and the Provincial Police DEFINITELY enforce on that stretch of highway
Quote:
But now he has to take a train....i hope SCR does not go that route. the point is r&r. i never find toronto to be relaxing.

sorry, i have never seen provincial police there. but then, im not local to there, and use the QEW only on weekends, coming and going.
Quote:
GO Train is much more relaxing than driving in downtown.

SCR - if you go to Toronto when the Exhibition is on, I seriously recommend taking the train.
Then you'll need to get on the Gardiner Expressway, from the QEW, to get to downtown - and the Gardiner goes directly past Exhibition. I would expect a traffic nightmare.

The GO trains are double-decker trains, nice opportunity for views, above-ground, policed, and polite (it is Canada after all!)

Once you're in Union Station, take the subway if you want to visit points further north - or take an Uber if you want to visit the Distillery District or one of the markets. Everything else is easily walkable from Union.

TORONTO POSTS: Thank you all. Toronto will be on our "to-do" list, but I don't think we'll do it this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Ohiopyle or Presque Isle
Thanks. I typically do each of these just as a day-trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
It happens after Labor Day, but Detroit is four hours away and their Dally in the Alley festival is very cool. I went a few years ago and had a great time. Detroit is fascinating and fun to explore. One of my daughter's best friends lives there and DJs at the local clubs. I can find out about the club scene and fill you in. The Detroit Art Museum is great too. https://m.facebook.com/dallyinthealley/
Thank you. I've always been curious about Detroit. To me I thought it was basically just a small walkable safe urban node (Downtown/Midtown) surrounded by a TON of blight and dangerous areas, but it seems like it could definitely be worth a visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The drive is a little longer, but the Finger Lakes area is lovely. There's also Hocking Hills in Ohio (Athens is a great little college town,) and the Cuyahoga Valley National Park south of Cleveland.
Thank you. My parents love the Finger Lakes. They particularly enjoy Seneca Lake and Cayuga Lake. I've been meaning to get back to Ithaca. It's "gorges" (get it? get it?). I've also been looking into doing a "home base" trip in the Hocking Hills with a side trip to Marietta, OH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
You also don't need to pick a single destination. We often find somewhere then pick another slightly further away as a day trip to expand our reach. Like one time we stayed in Erie and travel day 1 we enjoyed the wineries there, day 2 we got up early and drove to Niagara falls and a trip over into canada then back to Erie, Day 3 we enjoyed erie again and drove home late.

Did the same on a week long trip, drove to Louisville KY and spend a few days in KY then drove down to Nashville for 2 days then a few days again back in KY. Enough time to hit the entire bourbon trail in KY without any 1 drive being more than about 6 hours.
Quote:
My wife and i did this recently, we stayed in atlantic city but traveled to ny city and to philidelphia on diffrent days.
"HOME BASE" POSTS: Agreed. Thank you. I've done this as well. When I was 18 I planned a trip for a bunch of friends. We stayed in Sandwich, MA (on Cape Cod). One day was Boston. One day was Plymouth. One day was Provincetown (tip of the Cape). One day was Nantucket. One day was Martha's Vineyard. Lots of great memories.

Quote:
One last suggestion, if the OP is still tuned to this thread: why not go home to Scranton? take a side trip to Jim Thorpe, or the poconos. maybe NYC for a day. visit an old friend. see an old relative.
Thanks. I visit my family 3-6 times per year. They only visit me about once every three years. Until this ratio changes I'm not making any additional trips to my home area. We'll be in the Scranton area for five days around Christmas, and I'm hoping to take a day-trip to NYC one day because my partner has never been there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
Add a couple hours to your drive and hit the Adirondaks. Absolutely beautiful.
Thank you. That's too far for me to drive for a long weekend; however, I've long wanted to explore the Adirondacks and Vermont. That would be a week-long trip. I'd like to see Lake Placid and Burlington, for sure. Maybe Plattsburgh, too.

Quote:
Your fan base is too demanding, you should start a web cam for up to date info.
Heh. Well, I guess it IS a fun thread because I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for new long weekend getaways from Pittsburgh. This city is fun, but sometimes you just want to hop in the car and explore somewhere new and different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
What do you call the below?

I've been busy recently. I greatly appreciate the additional suggestions thus far and will be along soon with additional replies. Thanks.
Sorry. That came off a bit snarkier than I had intended. I posted my original post using my iPhone. Since City-Data still isn't mobile-friendly, though, today was the first chance I had to get in front of a desktop for easier multi-quoting. I'll be responding to this thread more frequently as long as I have access to a desktop.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:30 AM

1,859 posts, read 1,085,651 times
Quote:
GETTYSBURG POSTS: Thanks to all four of you. I may decide to do a "home base"-styled trip sometime where I stay perhaps in York and then day-trip to Gettysburg, Harrisburg, and Hershey there on separate days for a long weekend sometime. I'll keep that in mind for the future. I'm a native of Eastern PA, so I've been to all of these places. My ex is from Lancaster County so I'm going to intentionally avoid visiting that area again going forward.
May I suggest Mount Gretna?
It's a bit further east than Hershey, its in Lebanon County.
Its a Chautauqua town - a little Victorian getaway in the forest. It hosts live theater and music performances and has a famous arts festival. State game lands with trails surround the village.

There's a small mini-golf course, a lake for swimming, an ice cream parlor from the 19th century (the J-i-g-g-e-r Shop)... all in all, its just a nice little rustic getaway while still being very close to Harrisburg/Hershey.

I think that you may really enjoy it, and I'm willing to bet that you'd never heard of it before

Things To Do | Mt. Gretna

https://www.washingtonian.com/2017/0...kend-hideaway/

Old 05-20-2019, 09:49 AM

So just as a recap:

A lot of you like Toronto, Columbus, and Gettysburg.

A few of you suggested the rural areas that are sort of "shared" getaways by people from both Pittsburgh and the DC and Baltimore metro areas (Winchester, VA; Cumberland, MD; Shepherdstown, WV; Harper's Ferry, WV; Davis, WV; Thomas, WV; etc.)

There was a suggestion for Detroit.

There were also recommendations for the Hocking Hills/Athens, OH; Lake Chautauqua, NY; the Finger Lakes of NY; the Adirondack Mountains of NY; and the PA Wilds area (Brookville, St. Marys, DuBois, Kane, Warren, etc.)

IF we can swing it financially I'm strongly hedging towards Buffalo and Niagara Falls for Labor Day Weekend; Columbus for Columbus Day Weekend; and then the PA Wilds on a regular weekend in late-October to take advantage of the foliage.

Next year may bring Toronto; a "home base" trip revolving around Cumberland, MD; a "home base" trip revolving around Winchester, VA; and/or trips to the Hocking Hills of OH; Lake Chautauqua, NY; and Detroit, MI.

Thank you all thus far. These have been great, and I'm hopeful you can all look at these recommendations for future reference as well.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:51 AM

11,863 posts, read 14,920,803 times
Just spent a weekend in Chautauqua, they opened a new brew-pub which is pretty nice. The floating stage for concerts is being reopened which is always a good time on the lake. A ton of things to do there.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:04 AM

2,725 posts, read 2,279,802 times
If you do niagra falls check out niagra on the lake. It maybe the charming little town i thought you had mentioned looking for.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:36 PM

2,531 posts, read 3,174,386 times
Quote:
If you do niagra falls check out niagra on the lake. It maybe the charming little town i thought you had mentioned looking for.
I will second Niagara on the Lake and Konzelmann Estate Winery is truly amazing wine with and the atmosphere/views are stunning. Every time we visit Niagara on the Lake, we are fascinated by the architecture and the wineries are top notch.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:02 AM

4,088 posts, read 1,075,661 times
Quote:
I'm doing some initial long-range planning for Labor Day Weekend and am hoping some of you can share your favorite places to head to when you have a 3-day weekend and want to escape the city for a bit. It seems like Pittsburgh IS the day-trip/long weekend getaway for a fairly large radius.

Ideally the drive would be <4 hours each way. In the past I've done Cincinnati and Buffalo/Niagara Falls. I'm ideally looking for either a city (of any size) or for a rural area (hiking) that is still proximate to a small town of ~5,000 or so (big enough for a coffee shop of some sort and a diner or something).

We'll be spending a day each in Cincinnati and Louisville in mid-June to break up the drive to and from St. Louis, our primary vacation spot this year. I still want to do something smaller/cheaper Labor Day Weekend, though, so we have something else to look forward to all summer.

I was thinking Erie, but then I was thinking it would be swarming with crowds of fellow Pittsburghers escaping the city for that weekend. Same with Deep Creek Lake in Maryland.
Not 4 but 6 hours. Williamsburg, Virginia has so much to offer.

A few examples:
History. Art. Fine dining. James River trails. Colonial Parkway walking or driving for nature and scenery. James River or York River beaches. Jamestown Settlement and Historic Jamestowne. Historic CW (Colonial Williamsburg) just by itself could fill up a few days....do go off the beaten path....so much to explore. Don't miss the Blue Talon in CW for one of your evening meals. The College of William and Mary is lovely. If you do Historic Jamestowne be certain to hookup with a park ranger...they are amazing historians.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:11 AM

6,300 posts, read 7,783,223 times
With regards to Burlington, a friend and I stopped there last year on way to Boston from Montreal, and I was thoroughly impressed with it. It has to be one of the best cities of it's size on the country IMO. It offers a great setting and a ton of awesome restaurants to check out. Vermont in general was just a great state to drive through. I will say though, it is VERY FAR from Pittsburgh, a longer drive to than Montreal and Ottawa from here actually.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:42 AM

6,214 posts, read 7,287,081 times
How about Put-in-Bay or Kellys Island in Ohio?

You could stop in the touristy Amish town of Walnut Creek on the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh