U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 04:11 PM

1,583 posts, read 590,805 times

Advertisements

Just wondered what was everyone's favorite farm market around town? I've really only been to a few since often they are at times that just dont work for me unless nearby.

Ben Avon/Emsworth tried to have one for a few years, it kept moving and never had a great turnout so I think it's gone now. I've really only been to Sewickley which does have a nice one Saturday mornings or Bellevue which is also pretty nice and I was surprised at the vendor selection. They are only about 5 min from me and actually my wife made the jump to start selling her salsa this year in Bellevue which is why I was wondering which might be some good ones for her to look into if she has time to support another market.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 05:07 PM

2,861 posts, read 2,405,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Just wondered what was everyone's favorite farm market around town? I've really only been to a few since often they are at times that just dont work for me unless nearby.

Ben Avon/Emsworth tried to have one for a few years, it kept moving and never had a great turnout so I think it's gone now. I've really only been to Sewickley which does have a nice one Saturday mornings or Bellevue which is also pretty nice and I was surprised at the vendor selection. They are only about 5 min from me and actually my wife made the jump to start selling her salsa this year in Bellevue which is why I was wondering which might be some good ones for her to look into if she has time to support another market.

I was told the one in greentree is very good.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:28 AM

640 posts, read 238,123 times
Mt Lebo, Peters, USC and Bethel (moved to S Park near ice rink last year) are all good and actually coordinated to be on different days given their proximity. Odd thing is that there are usually about 20 vendors but never more than 3 FARMS.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:42 PM

2,109 posts, read 1,777,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I used to frequent the Greentree farmers market when I worked near there (it has been about 4 years now). It was good back then, and is likely still good now.

I was disappointed with the change to the East Liberty Monday farmer's market. They had to move to a smaller lot and as a result there are far fewer vendors than in years past. Developers are building condos on the vacant lot that used to house the market. I would not recommend the East Liberty one based on my experiences this year.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:22 PM

969 posts, read 571,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I used to frequent the Greentree farmers market when I worked near there (it has been about 4 years now). It was good back then, and is likely still good now.

I was disappointed with the change to the East Liberty Monday farmer's market. They had to move to a smaller lot and as a result there are far fewer vendors than in years past. Developers are building condos on the vacant lot that used to house the market. I would not recommend the East Liberty one based on my experiences this year.
I was there last week and I kind of agree. I don't know if it's smaller, but it's like a narrow hallway now and I didn't see many farms.

They are building a mix of affordable and market rate rentals across the street, not condos.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:56 PM

Thanks, yeah I will try to stop into Greentree. Its really not far and looks like it is on Thur though from their site they only list 10 vendors. Ross Twp has one too which would be close and somehow I've never been. From the pictures it doesnt look too big though either.

Bellevue starts in 2 weeks and look to have about 25 vendors, Sewickley last year had a decent amount but I cant find anything online for them. I'd really like Pgh to have something like Columbus or Cleveland with an indoor/outdoor large spot but it never seems to stick.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:20 PM

2,109 posts, read 1,777,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
I was there last week and I kind of agree. I don't know if it's smaller, but it's like a narrow hallway now and I didn't see many farms.

They are building a mix of affordable and market rate rentals across the street, not condos.
https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-...k-development/

Right. I should've said townhouses. They come at a cost of a cool $290k per unit. Not bad for affordable housing.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:40 PM

969 posts, read 571,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-...k-development/

Right. I should've said townhouses. They come at a cost of a cool $290k per unit. Not bad for affordable housing.
They aren't attractive at all, but the project includes some conversion of the street grid which will be great.

The only thing that will keep me going to the East Liberty farmer's market is the time and location both of which are most convenient to me.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:00 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,117,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I live nearby the Green Tree market and have been very disappointed the few times I purchased things there. I may have gone too early in the season, but the produce I bought seemed no better than I'd find in the supermarket. Flavorless tomatoes, woody lettuce, and not much selection. I got the distinct impression that at least one vendor was from a more corporate farm with extra produce they were trying to get rid of. They had a huge semi trailer type truck and the guys working in the booth couldn't answer any questions about what they were were selling. Haven't been yet this year. They may not be open yet. I noticed that Carnegie's is open this Sunday, noon-3. If I go, I'll report back. Still early in the season however.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:11 PM

Yeah seems some are open starting this month and most next. I wouldnt expect great produce yet but I would hope to see a decent amount of vendors. Produce is one thing I do look for but yeah needs to be quality. I dont mind paying more that the store since they should be picked closer to ripeness. Hoping for some good heirloom tomatoes. I'd grow myself but my yard is just too shaded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh